TrueBlueArmy Forums
some players need to do better to get in my team - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: some players need to do better to get in my team (/showthread.php?tid=968)

some players need to do better to get in my team - Hammie - 08-09-2021

Just what we want to hear, named no names but made it clear he is not accepting a stroll through the season.
Hopefully we will see a change (Harrison) or two to the starting eleven on Saturday to really confirm that he does not do favourites. If you want the shirt you have to play for it every week. 

I'm guessing the defence and mid stay as they were with a GK change of course.

How does Curtis usually return from international week?

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - stayinupforever - 08-09-2021

Actions speak louder than words.

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - slayer - 08-09-2021

Setting standards and demanding levels, the two things that Jackett failed to do

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - Hammie - 08-09-2021

don't do favourites and we will all be happy

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - briefcase_wanchor - 08-09-2021

Very refreshing to hear such an open and frank assessment. He didn't even have to name names to be fair.

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - mikey393 - 09-09-2021

(08-09-2021, 12:26 PM)Hammie Wrote: Just what we want to hear, named no names but made it clear he is not accepting a stroll through the season.
Hopefully we will see a change (Harrison) or two to the starting eleven on Saturday to really confirm that he does not do favourites. If you want the shirt you have to play for it every week. 

Azeez will be CM unless DC wants to play him as a No 10.

First game & let's hope he adapts well to our level of football. 

If he does he will destroy other teams at this level.

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - DeepBlue - 10-09-2021

I'd expect Azeez to start on the bench ... he has been on international duty and will hardly have trained with the team. Can't see hin displacing Tunnicliffe or Williams but might have a shout  of getting the no 10 role if Cowley seems him as a candidate for that position. 

Like with Ahadme I suspect there is a danger of fans expecting too much too soon of a very inexperienced young player, however good a prospect.

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - DeepBlue - 10-09-2021

(08-09-2021, 12:26 PM)Hammie Wrote: Just what we want to hear, named no names but made it clear he is not accepting a stroll through the season.

Hammie .. why change GK ?  Bazanu must be a cert to keep his place. 
Unless you mean from the Wimbledon game in which case why keep the reserve defence & midfield that let in 5 ?

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - Hammie - 10-09-2021

I meant keep the league defence
so Baz plus the four who have been playing, big call at right back with the loanee from Millwall.

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - ForeverPompey - 11-09-2021

Time for a rethink. Williams and Morrell don't seem to bring anything to the team. Azeez has to play and hope he is as good as he says he is. No more of Marquis please unless Azeez somehow is the magic formula to make him score goals. We don't have any worthwhile strikers as HF is not up to it, Hirst is a lump and Ahadme seems to have already had his goalscoring instincts trained out of him by DC. Mid table with fewest goals scored in living memory? Home to Cambridge (let in 5 today) is surely our last chance to show we can play football, entertain, score goals and win matches.

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - mikey393 - 11-09-2021

Both Harrison & Azeez should have started today or worst ways come on at H.T. when we were clearly struggling.

Waiting until the 78th minute to bring on Harrison was far too late & Azeez was probably thinking can Arsenal give me an early recall. He could have been on their bench today that's how highly they think of him D.C. is far too Negative in his tactics & is following the same path as Jackett dare I say it!

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - ForeverPompey - 11-09-2021

Indeed. Playing for 0-0 away shouldn't be the way surely?

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - Hammie - 11-09-2021

(11-09-2021, 04:16 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: Indeed. Playing for 0-0 away shouldn't be the way surely?

We certainly were not doing that in the second half. We were all over them, then got hit on the break. Playing for nil nil we would have got a point.

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - dsmg - 11-09-2021

It’s happened two games in a row. First half was bad but we were getting on top and then get done by a sucker punch. We looked more likely to score with Curtis on the pitch and at least created some clear chances. Their keeper made one excellent save. Onwards and upwards but we need to win the next game.

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - ForeverPompey - 12-09-2021

(11-09-2021, 06:51 PM)Hammie Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 04:16 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: Indeed. Playing for 0-0 away shouldn't be the way surely?

We certainly were not doing that in the second half. We were all over them, then got hit on the break. Playing for nil nil we would have got a point.

Fair enough. I was only taking the radio commentary so I bow to your knowledge on this one!! Smile

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - Bluebob - 12-09-2021

This was my second visit to MK Dons the last time was just under 2 yrs ago we lost 3-1 the only difference was MK were a much better team then. Where was this high pressing game we were promised under the Cowley’s because there was no evidence yesterday. They totally dominated the midfield in the first half. His team selection lost us this game HF is way out of his depth as is Harness. Tunnicliffe didn’t look interested at all in the first half, Morrell was missing all game Williams wasn’t much better. Thank god for Baz in goal otherwise we would have lost by a much bigger scoreline. What disappointed me the most this team played no different to the team’s managed under Jackett.

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - ForeverPompey - 12-09-2021

I have only seen the two home games so far but I would certainly ask the same question about the promised style of football. It's strange.

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - Hammie - 12-09-2021

(12-09-2021, 09:18 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 06:51 PM)Hammie Wrote:

Fair enough. I was only taking the radio commentary so I bow to your knowledge on this one!! Smile

We were sat behind the goal that pompey were attacking second half. For about 20 minutes we were absolutely all over them and would have scored with any luck at all if we had carried on. We could see the high press working brilliantly. All very encouraging actually.
Sadly we got hit on the break from their corner. With a confident established team we would have carried on doing what we were doing so well and could well have got a point or even a win. Very worryingly we completely caved in and seemed to give up. 
If the radio commentary did not make that clear, its hardly your fault! Same as News only giving Harness a 5. First half he was about our only decent outfield player outside raggett (and the GK). Harness did create a bit and more than anything, again from sitting behind our goal, he covered back repeatedly behind Freeman and switched wings effectively as Reeko increasingly looked out of his depth. 
A lot of work to do. But if we press and play like we did but for only 1/4 the game we will be ok but only if we use our best players and let them settle into a system.

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - ForeverPompey - 13-09-2021

Well that's sounds more encouraging. Hopefully it will come together on Saturday which already seems to be a crucial game. Need to impress and get people onside before an air of despondency sets in.

RE: some players need to do better to get in my team - slayer - 13-09-2021

Thanks for that Hammie