TrueBlueArmy Forums
Documentary about Pompey's dark days - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Documentary about Pompey's dark days (/showthread.php?tid=988)

Documentary about Pompey's dark days - PompeyDB - 13-09-2021

Here's a decent short documentary about our financial problems, if you can bear to watch!

https://youtu.be/1sf_yzQzqUI

There's some interesting speculation about who Ali Al-Mirage really was.

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - TBP - 13-09-2021

(13-09-2021, 01:04 PM)PompeyDB Wrote: Here's a decent short documentary about our financial problems, if you can bear to watch!

https://youtu.be/1sf_yzQzqUI

There's some interesting speculation about who Ali Al-Mirage really was.

No, too recent a trauma.

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - Pedalo_menders - 13-09-2021

I still consider the present to be dark days lol. It has been a looooooooong time since the team put in a performance that was something to be proud of, or even excited about.

There were a few good days at the tail end of L2 and that's about it!

It's fucking miserable being a Pompey fan

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - DeepBlue - 13-09-2021

(13-09-2021, 03:20 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: I still consider the present to be dark days lol. It has been a looooooooong time since the team put in a performance that was something to be proud of, or even excited about.

Only if you choose to be miserable.  It's a personal choice.

The alternative is to recognise we are on a slow upward journey from the depths and enjoy the ride without setting unrealistic expectations.

(13-09-2021, 03:26 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(13-09-2021, 03:20 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: I still consider the present to be dark days lol. It has been a looooooooong time since the team put in a performance that was something to be proud of, or even excited about.

The alternative is to recognise we are on a slow upward journey from the depths and enjoy the ride without setting unrealistic expectations.

Watching Pompey playing shit football for over 10 years is a personal choice. How it makes me feel is not. Seeing your once exciting, dynamic, attacking team huff and puff week in week out is torture. I can't understand your perspective Deep.

I don't recognise us being on a slow upward trajectory. Every season the gap between us and teams we used to look down on (Brightons, Bournemouths, Leicesters etc) gets bigger and bigger.

The only reason the football is shit is that league 1 and league 2 football is shit compared to where we were. You just have to reset your perspective and expectations. People moaned about Jacketball and are turning against Cowleyball, but the reality is it was/is just typical league one football, albeit top half of the division quality.

But if you can't get any enjoyment from watching lower league , or even non-league or parks football then don't go to football. Or become a plastic prem fan.... now there's a brand of the game I don't particularly enjoy watching.

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - Jizbag - 13-09-2021

Upward journey!! You're having a fecking laugh. The football is shite, worse than league 2, the owners seem happy to bob along in this league ad infinitum. I've about given up after 50 years. Hence I didn't pay £25 to our billionaire owner for the privilege of retaining my seat. 

We're the poor relations of the south and will be for foreseeable future.

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - ForeverPompey - 13-09-2021

It's mostly turgid stuff for sure. Sadly most football is these days from top down. It's methodical, predictable, almost too scientific played to a well-known recipe with few players or teams able to bring something different to the table. However, also worth a watch in the series of docs mentioned above are the ones on Notts Co and Donny/ Bridlington.

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - PompeyDB - 13-09-2021

(13-09-2021, 04:30 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: It's mostly turgid stuff for sure. Sadly most football is these days from top down. It's methodical, predictable, almost too scientific played to a well-known recipe with few players or teams able to bring something different to the table. However, also worth a watch in the series of docs mentioned above are the ones on Notts Co and Donny/ Bridlington.

Yes the Notts County story is astonishing. It makes our tale sound mundane.

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - Smirnoffexpress - 13-09-2021

While eating a pooh sandwhich, the taste doesn’t get better by telling yourself that it’s jam!

(13-09-2021, 04:02 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: The only reason the football is shit is that league 1 and league 2 football is shit compared to where we were. You just have to reset your perspective and expectations. People moaned about Jacketball and are turning against Cowleyball, but the reality is it was/is just typical league one football, albeit top half of the division quality.

But if you can't get any enjoyment from watching lower league , or even non-league or parks football then don't go to football. Or become a plastic prem fan.... now there's a brand of the game I don't particularly enjoy watching.

Dont tell me what to do you condescending prick.

(13-09-2021, 05:09 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote:
(13-09-2021, 04:02 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: The only reason the football is shit is that league 1 and league 2 football is shit compared to where we were. You just have to reset your perspective and expectations. People moaned about Jacketball and are turning against Cowleyball, but the reality is it was/is just typical league one football, albeit top half of the division quality.

Dont tell me what to do you condescending prick.

Don't tell me what I should be thinking then.

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - Gerry Hatrick - 13-09-2021

Anyway...............do we really need to trawl over all the gory details yet again? A film for masochists, I think.

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - STEVE - 13-09-2021

Get your head out of your arse. This club is a pile of shit and clearly going nowhere.

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - bluetagagain - 14-09-2021

Personally I think we are going places (upwards) and some of us ( me included) probably expected more,sooner.However, we have remained stagnant for the last 3 seasons due to an appalling brand of non football ( most of the signings-not Marquis- were astute it was just horrendous tactics). The Cowley's bring a freshness and ambition,although it will take time and unfortunately more patience ( something of which I'm not great myself). I do believe they will get right and hopefully their vision and ambition will be matched by our current owners.
Now is not the time to panic,players and tactics are still bedding in.The next 2 home games should hopefully lift our moods.
We're not the only ones in this mess,Ipswich have spent loads on a complete rebuild and are struggling far worse than us, Charlton and Donny are also struggling, only Sunderland look to have got it right-eventually- after spending vast sums of money on very mediocre players (Griggs).

Keep the Faith PUP PPU

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - Tomsk - 14-09-2021

I'm with Bluetag on this. We've pretty much got a new squad and it's going to need working on, tweaking, arse kicking and above all coaching.
I was happy to give Jackett time, probably more than most, so let's give the Cowleys a chance and see if and how things progress.
If not then it's all round to Smirns for some poo sandwiches.

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 14-09-2021

(14-09-2021, 10:51 AM)Tomsk Wrote: I'm with Bluetag on this. We've pretty much got a new squad and it's going to need working on, tweaking, arse kicking and above all coaching.
I was happy to give Jackett time, probably more than most, so let's give the Cowleys a chance and see if and how things progress.
Hopefully we don’t have to eat another one on Saturday

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - slayer - 15-09-2021

You really will argue anything and everything won't you?

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 18-09-2021

(14-09-2021, 12:41 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote:
(14-09-2021, 10:51 AM)Tomsk Wrote: I'm with Bluetag on this. We've pretty much got a new squad and it's going to need working on, tweaking, arse kicking and above all coaching.
Unfortunately we did have to eat another one urrgghh

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 18-09-2021

(14-09-2021, 12:41 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote:
Unfortunately we did have to eat another one urrgghh

RE: Documentary about Pompey's dark days - ForeverPompey - 18-09-2021

The club is doing everything in its power to upset fans. Ludicrous queues and unpleasant stewards in the ground. I got told to keep moving at 2.30 in an empty ground when I stopped to talk to someone. It will be easy to lose the passion for Pompey.