TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Marquis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(17-01-2022, 04:42 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]Is he off?

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...ls-3530912

Sounds encouraging. 

I never thought we would find new homes for all three of Downing, Harrison & Marquis. If he goes I hope they will think that that plus the two loans going has freed enough budget to get who we want without also getting rid of Jacobs, who I'd rather keep till the summer if he can be persuaded to stay.
Pop the champers on ice
Leaves us with one lone loan striker, who isn't very good. There must have been some deals agreed else Marquis wouldn't be leaving yet.
The news have updated the story to say its Lincoln who are the lucky club.
Who'd have thought there are clubs out there more desperate up front than us.

Good news that it is, we've done exactly the same as post season and disposed of loads of players with no specific player lined up to replace them. Yet again we're heading towards a deadline with practically zero bargaining position. No wonder we get mostly sick notes and bang average players because invariably they're the last turkeys in the shop.
We are very unlikely to go up this season. Even if we did, we are totally unprepared for the Championship and would almost certainly come straight back down.

Best to offload the dross, buy in the summer and give it a shot at winning the league next season.

I wouldn’t mind taking on an up and coming striker on loan until this campaign is finished. I just want to be entertained.
(17-01-2022, 06:01 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

Good news that it is, we've done exactly the same as post season and disposed of loads of players with no specific player lined up to replace them. Yet again we're heading towards a deadline with practically zero bargaining position. No wonder we get mostly sick notes and bang average players because invariably they're the last turkeys in the shop.

How do you know we've got no-one lined up ??  Sounds to me like Cowley has gots lots of possible candidates lined up. 

I'll be very surprised if we don't have a new striker by Saturday.
Getting shot of that fucking clown makes me very happy with this window, even if that's the last act for Pompey in it
it has ended up not working out for him. Let's hope he's not another in the long list of lower league strikers who move on and instantly revert to being decent strikers as in fact they were before they arrived.
I understand where you're coming from Hammie. What I am taking my cue from amongst other things is the reaction of the other players to him. They're not giving him the ball and giving him shit when he takes positions up late.

Marquis only had a short run out on Saturday and Curtis gave him the benefit of his opinion on at least two occasions that I can recall
Well if he accepts an offer from Lincoln that's music to my ears. Mansfield decided not to pursue their interest & go for a Non-League striker. That just about sums it up doesn't it!
have to agree about Curtis and Marquis. I sat close to the front at MK and they spent most of their time shouting at each other and taking shots from bad angles rather than play each other in.
I suspect that DC has fulfilled his obligation to the Eisners for their 'generosity' in supporting him when bringing in Romeo and Morrell a few months ago by reducing the weekly wage bill by about £10,000 or more a week. I assume that this meets with the objective of making us even more sustainable while other (smaller) clubs are focussing on winning promotion and a place in the Championship. If the lad Walker shows up tomorrow (we'd better hope so) that'll mean we've got five players on loan that are all certain starters if the paperwork gets sorted. I think that that's the maximum number; although I stand to be corrected
I've got a lot of time for DC and what he's acheived with limited resources but he needs another striker (in addition to Walker) and, if we are going to continue playing 3-5-2, a left-wing back. That might actually entail spending some money and that could mean someone across the pond (someone who I imagine gets worried at the very thought of promotion) coughing up some cash.
Pretty much like Curtis did with Pitman then.
When I first saw Marquis on loan from Millwall to us I thought, thankyou. We were that shit we needed any help we could get.
Then we paid a million and more for him, I thought, no he has been on fire for Donny and they don't want to lose him, give him a chance. As it turned out, give him 5 chances, 1 might be on target. He was and is, fucking awful!
Good luck to him at Lincoln and thank f%$# for that
Deffo gone to Lincoln this morning, good riddance to an awful footballer ( nice chap tho)
(18-01-2022, 08:35 AM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]When I first saw Marquis on loan from Millwall to us I thought, thankyou. We were that shit we needed any help we could get.
Then we paid a million and more for him, I thought, no he has been on fire for Donny and they don't want to lose him, give him a chance. As it turned out, give him 5 chances, 1 might be on target. He was and is, fucking awful!
Good luck to him at Lincoln and thank f%$# for that

With the exception of when he was on loan to us (I thought he was shite even back then) I couldn't agree with you more.

He was, and remains, an awful footballer who could barely control the ball, couldn't time his runs without getting caught offside half the time, and made it easy for keepers with weak heading and shots straight at them on the rare occasions he got them on target.  OK he ran around a lot, but not with too much end product.  A shocking waste of money by the club.
Bad as he became for us he was an ‘awful’ player who scored 61 goals in 134 league games for Donny. I hope DC is able this month to find another awful player who is that successful. He found Hirst and Ahadme so we know he can find awful players but can he find one to score goals? Fingers crossed.
What's the betting that Michael Appleton will turn John Marquis into a goal machine?
We find out Fri Apr 15 2022. Lincoln at home.
I wouldn't deny that he has been disappointing, especially this season, and I've never liked him as a player or a character since we had him on loan from Millwall, but I do think some of the vitriol being aimed at him is way over the top.

Whatever else he still scored 36 goals for us, one every three and a half games and although that is not great it is not a complete disaster. We have had many returns less than that for £1m players over the years, and however misplaced his efforts and runs were he always put in a decent shift and worked hard, just not at the right things.  

And it is still true that no player currently playing in League One has scored more goals in the division than he has.
No one in League 1 has scored more goals than he has - that’s because all the other goalscorers have moved upwards, clearly no Championship club ever saw more than a League 1 player when they looked at him…..good call !
Today is a really good day. Good riddance, absolute garbage
Lincoln away at Rotherham, tonight. A hat-trick from Marquis would well and truly show us the finger.
Pages: 1 2