TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Apathy or anticipaion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Looking at some of the threads here I have finally logged on this site after along time browsing in an attempt to get that eternal optimism that is a Pompey supporter 

I am a ST holder of over 45 years ex shareholder ploughed my £k in foregoing my holiday that year. Have only missed a handful of games in that 45 years, have been to about 80 plus grounds travelling thousands of miles seeing my beloved Pompey play .. seen them in Pre seasons in Norway Scotland .. went to all Europa leagu games away in Germany and Portugal…. So down to my question…

Why do I feel so apathetic I actually find myself thinking do I want to go on. Saturday now , I know it has been bad in the past and goodness knows when we’re almost folded I was heartbroken travelled to the high court and elated when we got a reprieve but now it is as If my love affair is struggling.

Whether it is coz I have no affinity with the merry go round of loan players that arrive… it doesn’t seem
To matter who owns the club who the Chief exec is who the manager is or who the players are it is still the same……there always seems something not quite right… why when strikers leave us do a fair few suddenly score freely.. is it our training, scouting or what.

Please can anyone give me the will to get that love affair back… if I am honest I think a few seasons on hoof ball, an insipid appearance in every play off and that debacle against Salford at Wembley… yes Wembley where it was like an afterthought ok the paint pot trophy but still Wembley where players would have dreamed of playing… but didn’t

Any thoughts or remedies to get my mojo back appreciated as I feel I am going through the motions on match day. Or have I just fallen out of love with Pompey….. I so hope not AM I Alone  feeling this.
(18-01-2022, 02:16 PM)Harrysgirl Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at some of the threads here I have finally logged on this site after along time browsing in an attempt to get that eternal optimism that is a Pompey supporter 

I am a ST holder of over 45 years ex shareholder ploughed my £k in foregoing my holiday that year. Have only missed a handful of games in that 45 years, have been to about 80 plus grounds travelling thousands of miles seeing my beloved Pompey play .. seen them in Pre seasons in Norway Scotland .. went to all Europa leagu games away in Germany and Portugal…. So down to my question…

Why do I feel so apathetic I actually find myself thinking do I want to go on. Saturday now , I know it has been bad in the past and goodness knows when we’re almost folded I was heartbroken travelled to the high court and elated when we got a reprieve but now it is as If my love affair is struggling.

Whether it is coz I have no affinity with the merry go round of loan players that arrive… it doesn’t seem
To matter who owns the club who the Chief exec is who the manager is or who the players are it is still the same……there always seems something not quite right… why when strikers leave us do a fair few suddenly score freely.. is it our training, scouting or what.

Please can anyone give me the will to get that love affair back… if I am honest I think a few seasons on hoof ball, an insipid appearance in every play off and that debacle against Salford at Wembley… yes Wembley where it was like an afterthought ok the paint pot trophy but still Wembley where players would have dreamed of playing… but didn’t

Any thoughts or remedies to get my mojo back appreciated as I feel I am going through the motions on match day. Or have I just fallen out of love with Pompey….. I so hope not AM I Alone  feeling this.

The team getting off their backsides and delivering tonight.
For me the depressing thing is seeing people who think they are doing a good job, doing a bang average job at best. That goes right the way from the owners, CEO, through to the playing staff.

10 years outside the championship makes it hard to keep the faith that things will get better. Especially with owners who don't understand the game.

Those that aren't in denial (and I don't blame them for that) are bloody miserable. But you're not alone Harrysgirl. Enjoyable games have been few and far between for the last decade! Kenny sucked the life out of us the last 4 years alone.

What you have to believe is that it can't get any worse. Just by the law of averages we will stumble on a decent way of playing and get a team together. Often football has a way of surprising you when you least expect it!
(18-01-2022, 02:26 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-01-2022, 02:16 PM)Harrysgirl Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at some of the threads here I have finally logged on this site after along time browsing in an attempt to get that eternal optimism that is a Pompey supporter 

(18-01-2022, 02:26 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]

I feel your pain too .. too long with bang average… too much of that will do rather than going for the prize… probably my last affinity with Burgess he appareciated the Pompey way…
Too much bullshit and not enough ruthlessness.
I find it amazing how people seem to be satisfied with how we're doing. Oh it's a transition season, that's ok then. Forget the previous 4 in this league. Umpteen loanees who are better than permanent players but we won't be able to afford to sign them. That's really building for the future.

Don't criticise the owners, they're delivering what they said they would...only they aren't.
The affinity with the players point is spot on. There's not one in the squad at the moment that gives me pride or gets me off my seat, and there hasn't been since Pitman and Burgess left on the same day.

I too can't put my finger on why. It's probably not entirely the players' fault, but we do seem to insist on buying safe, boring journeymen rather than anyone with a touch of flair. So long as they run a round a lot nothing else much matters, it appears.

I'm hoping this is just a blip in the eternal pompey saga. We'll be back...(?)
Jackett finished it for me. After watching lots of previous managers trying their best to play football to please the fans and getting mostly successful results, it felt great to be a Pompey fan.It’s not always about success, goodness knows we’ve had our fair share of failures. It’s just that all we want from our players is 100% effort every time they cross that line.
When we ended back down in Div 4 (L2), I could stomach that , other than the Barker debacle it was OK, at least we had a team. However, Paul Cook raised our hopes and ambition with his attacking if not over complicated style of play. Then came the Jackett era, one of the most depressing periods in being a Pompey fan IMO, no progression, no skill, no desire, no ambition just 100% apathy.
I do want to give the Cowleys a chance , of course, and I would love the Eisners to open their purse strings slightly on the squad front.
I don’t think we’ll go up this year , however, I’m hoping next season after another summer transfer market that we’ll do it. If not , I’ll have to give some serious thought to renewing my ST after that. However, at this point I remain optimistic. PUP PPU.
Just to add another point, if we’re meant to ‘eat what we kill’ we need a development squad. Something between the youth and the main team, like the majority of clubs of our stature and tradition have. Over to you Eisners.

Sounds like a mid life crisis to me, do you get the urge to buy a yellow MR2 convertible and dye what remains of your hair?
I have relations in Birmingham who have been Pompey supporters as a family for almost as long as I, they are six in number aged from 85 to 28, travel regularly down to FP and do a lot of away games.

They have become totally disenchanted with all things PFC and have decided not to spend a penny more on Pompey until they see their commitment to the club equalled by the owners and the players and all things in between (I think hell will freeze over first).

We Southerners and Midlanders were going to do a  Hospitality day in The Chairman’s Lounge (or words to that effect) but that’s been canned, just goes to show that there is a straw that breaks the camel’s back.

Nobody at the Club will give a second thought of course, regular 15,000 gates, relegation a very distant prospect, “steady as she goes Number 1 (Cullen)”.

They say that the voting public go through 4 stages with the MPs and PM they elect:

1. Fascination
2. Admiration
3. Disillusion
4. Contempt

If we apply the above to football club owners / managers then you seem to be at Stage 3, my Midlands relations are probably twixt Stages 3 and 4 !
For me it comes down to the absence in the club of two vital ingredients and this is slowly and surely permeating and being promoted amongst the bulk of the fans. Lights which were always shining and to which we clung on to in our times of desperation. 
HOPE and AMBITION

These two attributes are clearly not embraced by the owners. Those of us who hang on to those two aims still remember where this great club truly belongs. We are being coerced into accepting second best , but our supporter base is worth so much more  .  

For me one of the greatest indictments is that we are not even bothering to produce our own players any more.
(18-01-2022, 03:49 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]

Sounds like a mid life crisis to me, do you get the urge to buy a yellow MR2 convertible and dye what remains of your hair?
All my own hair and teeth not that old but a bit of something to get me excited off my seat at the park would help.. as I said I don’t feel any affinity to any player or anyone at FP. I remember standing at Wembley after losing the cup final with uncle Abram bursting with pride even though we were in administration. Where has all the passion to put on a shirt gone … just going through the motions at the moment … EWWK policy well unless we have any youth team that is a non starter …..
(18-01-2022, 04:17 PM)Pangus Wrote: [ -> ]For me it comes down to the absence in the club of two vital ingredients and this is slowly and surely permeating and being promoted amongst the bulk of the fans. Lights which were always shining and to which we clung on to in our times of desperation. 
HOPE and AMBITION

These two attributes are clearly not embraced by the owners. Those of us who hang on to those two aims still remember where this great club truly belongs. We are being coerced into accepting second best , but our supporter base is worth so much more  .  

For me one of the greatest indictments is that we are not even bothering to produce our own players any more.

Hi Pangus yes reading this I think you are spot on and that is the problem.. hope and ambition lacking and no one at FP at present seems to have the latter and possibly the former too. Without both those what is the point of going . Thankyou you have answered my question makes sense now
(18-01-2022, 03:49 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm with you to a degree.

4 years of Jacketball really sucked all the fun out of going to the football. Even when we were going 20something games without winning when dropping through the leagues I still had more excitement for getting down the park or to an away match than the last 2 years of his tenure (save for a few select matches).

This season for me has been an odd one. I know it's cliche to say 'transistion season' but it was only ever going to be. Cowley inherited a team that was demonstrably not good enough to mount a sustained push for promotion and could not overhall the entire team in one transfer window. With that in mind some of the transfers have been pretty good (Morrell, Romeo, Hirst, Olgavie, Bazunu). He's also extracted a lot more from the likes of Raggett and Harness, the former who is in with a shout for our player of the season and the latter is on 10 goals and 2 assists.

I came into this season more enthusiastic than ever partly due to having been away for so long and partly because Jackett was no longer manager and whilst it's not been a perfect season, there are signs that progress is being made. Most of the deadwood has been shipped out (a few more to go) which frees up wages for players Cowley actually wants. If you look at the playing style we do win a lot of balls back high up the pitch we are just wasteful with it afterwards. Cowley bringing in players to suit this style will (fingers crossed) help. A lot of our goals have been well worked, started by us winning the ball high up or a combination of both, we just need more consistency. The MK dons match was a summation of our wastefulness in that they took the few decent chances they had and it took us 5 good chances to score 1. Lets hope that Hirst and the new geezer can sort that because right now we are relying on Harness to be the creater and finisher.

I think we'll finish just outside the playoffs but are a maybe 3/4 players short of a title pushing team. We desperately need a new LB, another CM and forward and a few more just to bulk the team out. If we see no progress by this time next season then I will be not be happy but it's not an instant fix. 

I also think it's harsh to suggest the owners aren't invested in the club, whebn they are putting circa 20mil? into the stadium. The fact that 20mil only boosts the attendance by a 1000 or so is testament to 2 things, 1) it's fucking expensive to build a stadium. 2) FP has sadly been left to rot to the point it need a substatial investment just to break even on capacity.

With that in mind I would like to see more investment in the academy. I know we as a club have been notoriously shit at bringing through players for most of our existance, certainly for the time I've been following Pompey but aside from Bass we haven't had anyone decent come through in about 3 years. Close and Whatmough are established L1 players but that's it. I'm sure there are moves going on in the background that we don't know about so hopefully we'll starting seeing fruit being bared. I suppose investigting in the youth side of a club isnt something you notice working until your a few years down the line anyway.

Anyways I've talked for long enough, I'm making a habit of doing that on here but you all love me for it.

Play up Pompey
I always start off optimistic  Smile .

I’d be happy with a team that played attacking football and made you want to go to FP as opposed to doing it because I always have.

There was a time when I planned my weekends round Pompey, not any more. If there is a more tempting offer, like walking on the Yorkshire Moors and drinking good ale in country pubs, I do that instead.

Losing is a pain but I don’t mind it if we go down with all guns blazing.
Pangus. Spot on, did my first home game 70-71 season. With our present operating regime this is the only time in all those years that there appears little HOPE. One small word but one that’s hugely important to all football fans. Seen at least five relegations and even then the optimism burned brightly. I always thought that with a few new players or a change of manager we would be on the up again.
With this present set up, I feel no hope of better things. I feel no affinity with our owners, whose “eat what you kill” philosophy seems as though it means we are stuck shopping in the bargain basement. With this philosophy we have fuck all chance of turning into anything other that what we are right now. Maybe the dream has died.
Perhaps this forum should be renamed the Miserable Old Git's forum. Even this season we've won more than we've lost so far. Now with 5 out and 2 (3?) in we've a chance of proper exciting football. Glass half full folks!
Maybe it is a disenchantment with football in general
Probably more to do with everyone pi$$ed off with lockdowns and all the general covid/climate/sleaze stuff in the media.
(18-01-2022, 06:56 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps this forum should be renamed the Miserable Old Git's forum. Even this season we've won more than we've lost so far. Now with 5 out and 2 (3?) in we've a chance of proper exciting football. Glass half full folks!

We may come across as old gits but we have a point. 

Under the Eisner's, our club is perpetually running on the edge - basically selling before buying. Except now we're reduced to not even buying anybody - it's just fecking loans.

One of those loans is from a club that went from L2 through L1 and, after waving us on the way past, are now reasonably stable in the championship. They did it with no fecking ground and owners the fans hated and still they managed to maintain an academy and be in a position to loan future prospects!

Eisner's do just enough to keep the club going. If they were a piece of medical equipment they'd be a ventilator.
Pages: 1 2