TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Team for tonight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
fast purposeful football, that would be nice.
Shrewsbury are struggling to score goals but while they had eleven men they seemed to do that for me, get the ball, attack, let the other team worry about what you are doing.
We see to be over thinking everything. I actually think we have a decent squad now and are not making the most of what they could do. Not helped by chopping and changing when we don't need to.
I think a better manager could get a real tune out of this squad, unfortunately we have Danny Cowley and his coaching manual.
All we are asking for is a sign of progress.
Off the field, it is mostly a story of maintenance without ambition.
On the field it is a regression.
I could be wrong, but I have always seen Shrewsbury as something of a Pompey graveyard, so any kind of win is a good one.
Is three wins on the trot not a sign of progress then?
I did like the loom of their home end with safe standing behind seating. I suspect that is where the Fratton End is heading following commetns from our exec.
We're getting a loom?
(23-02-2022, 03:59 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]Is three wins on the trot not a sign of progress then?

Did you watch the match Tomsk? Have you watched our football this season?

Deebo

Some people think winning is the be all and end all. Usually people who don’t watch but just check the result.
And some people were so spoilt by the premiership years that they cannot accept that league one football is by and large pretty dreadful, but that should never matter more than watching your team play and hopefully win.  Think how bad the fare would be if we had had to reform 4 or 5 leagues lower. 

My criticism of this team is that they cannot set the tone of the game themselves. If they are playing a decent team then on the whole we play pretty well, but if we are playing a bad team the standard of football drops to match the opposition.
(23-02-2022, 04:49 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]And some people were so spoilt by the premiership years that they cannot accept that league one football is by and large pretty dreadful, but that should never matter more than watching your team play and hopefully win.  Think how bad the fare would be if we had had to reform 4 or 5 leagues lower. 

My criticism of this team is that they cannot set the tone of the game themselves. If they are playing a decent team then on the whole we play pretty well, but if we are playing a bad team the standard of football drops to match the opposition.

"spoilt by the premiership years" oh do fuck off Deep.
(23-02-2022, 05:11 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-02-2022, 04:49 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]And some people were so spoilt by the premiership years that they cannot accept that league one football is by and large pretty dreadful, but that should never matter more than watching your team play and hopefully win.  Think how bad the fare would be if we had had to reform 4 or 5 leagues lower. 

"spoilt by the premiership years" oh do fuck off Deep.

what's wrong with that ?

The standard was better then and people got used to it. They also watch a lot of it on TV and expect the same with their local club. 

Others just seem to need something to get angry about.
Deep, those comments are incredibly arrogant and condescending. You have no idea what other peoples motivations are and to tar everyone with your flawed logic only makes yourself look like a numpty.

Just because people won't accept your incredibly low standards for the club, it doesn't mean that they all fit into your warped psychological profile of a Pompey fan.
the prem is mostly sideways and boring
and I was fortunate that my first whole season was watching Bobby Campbell's team be anything but dradful at this very level!
All I want is a team that tries hard, passes reasonably well but most of all attacks with purpose and puts the ball in the net reasonably often.
I can forgive the odd lapse, own goal and stupid hair cut.
(23-02-2022, 04:05 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]We're getting a loom?

Na- somebody’s spinning a yarn….
we could start a campaign to bring back scarfs in place of replica shirts with fitted beer guts,

Deebo

Very strange theory that. I would have thought the average poster on here started supporting the club decades before we got to the Prem and would be well used to ups and downs in quality. What they wouldn't be used to would be driving up half the country on a Tuesday night in February to watch pro footballers on several thousand pounds a week not being able to cross a ball and putting minimal effort in. Now that would make them angry. Cut the crap Deep. We had all this bs with you defending Jackett and his "win ratio".
Cowley should make them practice control of the football and set pieces for a few hours a day.
(23-02-2022, 05:40 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Deep, those comments are incredibly arrogant and condescending. You have no idea what other peoples motivations are and to tar everyone with your flawed logic only makes yourself look like a numpty.

Just because people won't accept your incredibly low standards for the club, it doesn't mean that they all fit into your warped psychological profile of a Pompey fan.

I said 'some' fans FFS.  How is that a warped psychological profile of all fans ?
(23-02-2022, 05:45 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]the prem is mostly sideways and boring
and I was fortunate that my first whole season was watching Bobby Campbell's team be anything but dradful at this very level!
All I want is a team that tries hard, passes reasonably well but most of all attacks with purpose and puts the ball in the net reasonably often.
I can forgive the odd lapse, own goal and stupid hair cut.

Hammie,  I remember that season well too . Yes, we had a good team that played decent football but the quality of most of the division was very similar to what it is now.  The difference then was that we were able to play our game against the poor teams, hence my criticism of this team for not being able to dictate the style of play against poor teams and finding our quality of football matching their's.  

Seemed a fairly obvious point IMO, didn't expect it to spark the reaction it has received.
From what I've seen of O'Brien so far he could fit into our club very well. Enthusiastic, gets about and can put the ball in the net. Having played for Millwall and Sunderland he sure ain't going to be bothered by a noisy crowd who criticise at times. Our main number nine in that team was far from a touch footballer but kept defenders busy and scored his fair share, would have buried that header yesterday.
Billy Rafferty was one of my all time favourites too
that's the name, getting old. Rough, tough and a real lynchpin. in the days when players just played games.
Well- I’ve enjoyed watching England women beat Germany tonight more than most games at FP this season. Plenty of mistakes but open, fun football and very little sideways and backwards bollox. When are Pompey women playing next….?
Pages: 1 2 3