TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Team Tonight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(16-03-2022, 08:51 AM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-03-2022, 01:04 AM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]We've been on a really good run, lose one by the odd goal to a decent team in form and all the fannies come out of the woodwork!!

Did you watch the game Tomsk? I ask again. We didn't even try to win. It was pathetic.

I watched it, and saw us win 10 corners and have 11 shots (not many on target admittedly). 

Those stats at a place like Plymouth are not pathetic, and not those of a team not trying to win.

Some people need to learn how to lose gracefully without calling for the managers head after every defeat, especially when it's a first defeat in nine games.
The bottom line is that this was a match we needed to win and there was nothing to lose by going for it.

There is no danger of relegation, so to finish a match like this having failed to trouble the keeper once is bordering on the criminal.

For Cowley to suggest that tiredness was a factor is a cop out imo. Professional athletes should be capable of playing a couple of 90 minute games in a week, if they can’t they are in the wrong game.

We lost the game because we were nowhere near positive enough, end of story. 

The buck stops with the Cowleys on this one
For me, it is more important to see how we bounce back (or not). Do we go on another abysmal run or do we get back to another unbeaten run immediately?

This will show if we are genuinely making progress or not.
(15-03-2022, 10:03 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]We're all disappointed with that but please cut out the surrendering. 

We have 9 games left and 18 points could still be enough for the play offs. 

It's not likely but its possible so why give up ?

Being positive about it last night was a setback but as stated 9 games left to play & 27 points on offer.

Also, we have Harness back on Saturday & hopefully Jacobs can make the bench to be used as an impact sub.

Wycombe have been stuttering lately & not been scoring with a very lucky 1-0 win last night.

We really need to get back on a winning run & try to keep it going & hope a couple of teams above blow up.
DEEP - I agree totally -
We must be realistic about the (player) budget, and the size (or lack of it) in the squad.
And for all that , Plymouth did not overwhelm us, they got lucky with a mistake by Robertson/Thompson - we did not get that break - another Ref we could have had a penalty ...... another day one of the GOALBOUND (sic) shots went in instead of defecting wide.

We must be realistic, BUT on that point Mr EISNER needs to also contribute big-time to that realism next season !
(16-03-2022, 12:07 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-03-2022, 01:04 AM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]We've been on a really good run, lose one by the odd goal to a decent team in form and all the fannies come out of the woodwork!!

Did you watch the game Tomsk? I ask again. We didn't even try to win. It was pathetic.

I watched it, and saw us win 10 corners and have 11 shots (not many on target admittedly). 

Those stats at a place like Plymouth are not pathetic, and not those of a team not trying to win.

Some people need to learn how to lose gracefully without calling for the managers head after every defeat, especially when it's a first defeat in nine games.

We needed to go for it in this match and we didn't, endless passing it across the defence, shocking deliveries into the box, pumping down the line for Hirst to run after, it was shit and you know it. We've beaten far weaker teams in the main, come up against a decent couple away and we go into our shell.
(16-03-2022, 02:08 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]DEEP - I agree totally -
We must be realistic about the (player) budget, and the size (or lack of it) in the squad.
And for all that , Plymouth did not overwhelm us, they got lucky with a mistake by Robertson/Thompson - we did not get that break - another Ref we could have had a penalty ...... another day one of the GOALBOUND (sic) shots went in instead of defecting wide.

We must be realistic, BUT on that point Mr EISNER needs to also contribute big-time to that realism next season !

Goalbound shots....wtf?? If my Auntie had a dick she'd be my uncle.
Regarding the play can I pose the question.
If we had come away with a 0-0 would we have seen the match differently ?
(16-03-2022, 02:14 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-03-2022, 12:07 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

We needed to go for it in this match and we didn't, endless passing it across the defence, shocking deliveries into the box, pumping down the line for Hirst to run after, it was shit and you know it. We've beaten far weaker teams in the main, come up against a decent couple away and we go into our shell.

No, I most certainly don't know it was shit. Because it wasn't shit. It was bit below recent performances but certainly not shit.  We tried , we attacked a lot for an away team, just not very effectively. I cannot remember getting that many corners away from home anywhere else this season.   

And we lost for change. Get over it.
I'm over it, but we are worse than we have been for the past 4 seasons. A team like Plymouth who came up last year, are on the edge of the playoffs. What does that say about us?
(16-03-2022, 03:08 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]I'm over it, but we are worse than we have been for the past 4 seasons. A team like Plymouth who came up last year, are on the edge of the playoffs. What does that say about us?

It could be argued that a) we have the wrong players b) we have the wrong manager and c) neither a nor b are motivated enough by those above them?
(16-03-2022, 03:08 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]I'm over it, but we are worse than we have been for the past 4 seasons. A team like Plymouth who came up last year, are on the edge of the playoffs. What does that say about us?

I guess it says 5 years ago we won league 2 with a squad that included 8 players who went onto to play at Championship level or higher and then hired a manager who signed just two players who went on to play in the championship (and they hardly set that division on fire).  So we are saddled with the legacy of Jackets poor transfer performance across 6 or more windows which can only be addressed by throwing loads of money at the squad or building a team through another three or four windows.  The Cowley's are probably not without their faults but personally I think they have a much better eye for a player than Jacket (even with less money available).

We drew 2-2 with Plymouth twice last season.
Cowleys were supposed to be battle ready after 3 TW's. So by the end of Aug they should have the squad that will take us places. Given that the majority of our first choice team are either loans or out of contract this summer, its gonna take a rebuild bigger than what Ipswich have just tried (with seemingly limited success). Every area of the pitch will need attention (no strikers/forwards on the clubs books come July - just how completely f'd up is that). Ogilvie and Morrell aside, I'm not hugely inspired by Cowley's permanent signings and I'd happily bet he won't be able to gather together his intended final squad this summer with the pocket money the Eisners will give him. We already know he's gonna be hunting in non league and Div 1/2.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but next season will be harder than this so they need to throw caution to the wind in the last few games and get out of this cesspit league
Briefcase
Agree with that.

I actually don’t think that Cowley will get us promoted this or next season, I haven’t seen anything since he’s been in charge to give me any confidence that he is the man for the job.

His transfer window activity has been, at best, nondescript and his tactics unclear, don’t this particular leopard will change his spots.

Sure funds have been tight but he knew that when he took the job and COVID has had the same impact on all managers.

Nice guy, well meaning but that doesn’t win promotion.
Eisner's priorities need to change from the ground redevelopment to the team rebuild in the Summer.

Sort out new contracts for players we want to keep & try to sign loanees we want on permanent contracts.

We need a strong squad with decent cover in all positions.

Also, sort out the academy & move to a higher level asap as we need to develop our own talent.
Jiz suggested "Goalbound shots....wtf?? If my Auntie had a dick she'd be my uncle."

Hey Jiz, unique attributes you refer to there - perhaps a fictitious Aunt ??

Anyway..... No, what I was referring to was goalBOUND shots - ie not shots that reached the goal/..or saved by the keeper/ .. or deflected wide.

Now, I presume you watched the game and seemingly from your RELATIVE comments ( like it .. ? ) if you didn't then please refer to someone who did.
I saw the game mate, all of it on ifollow, we were fill of unambition. The goalbound shots you speak of must have been blocked as I can't recall us having one on target. I'm not really sure what you're getting at. My issue was that we should have gone for the win as it would have kept us in the hunt...but we didn't. Which pretty much shows us where the ambition lies.
This was exactly Jacketts problem. He consistently set us up not too lose which is completely different from setting us up to win. I dislike this current trend of changing teams to suit the opposition, we should let other teams worry about breaking us down and not vice versa
Jiz,
It would be shocking to think that we sent a team out for ANY game with zero ambition to win ?
Maybe in both games, Ipswich and Argyle we just showed them too much respect.

To my mind Curtis had to stay on but , in both games, he missed chances, crap dead balls and the selfish tendency crept in again - shame really.

As I've said in previous posts if Jim Smith (rip) was still here he would flood the team with youngsters now to see how they performed.
Just hope Jacobs is finally fit !
(17-03-2022, 03:56 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]I saw the game mate, all of it on ifollow, we were fill of unambition. The goalbound shots you speak of must have been blocked as I can't recall us having one on target. I'm not really sure what you're getting at. My issue was that we should have gone for the win as it would have kept us in the hunt...but we didn't. Which pretty much shows us where the ambition lies.

You were only seeing what fits your negative outlook. 

The facts are that we had 11 shots and won 10 corners, that's outstanding attacking stats for any away team. The quality may not have very good but to pretend we did not show any ambition to win the game is complete and utter bollox and disproven by the facts.
(17-03-2022, 04:55 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-03-2022, 03:56 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]I saw the game mate, all of it on ifollow, we were fill of unambition. The goalbound shots you speak of must have been blocked as I can't recall us having one on target. I'm not really sure what you're getting at. My issue was that we should have gone for the win as it would have kept us in the hunt...but we didn't. Which pretty much shows us where the ambition lies.

The facts are that we had 11 shots and won 10 corners, that's outstanding attacking stats for any away team. The quality may not have very good but to pretend we did not show any ambition to win the game is complete and utter bollox and disproven by the facts.

Well Deep I've just watched the highlights to see if I missed anything but nope, not one shot remotely troubling the goalkeeper. We barely attacked until we conceded, that doesn't sound like a team trying to break their neck to win an important game. If you can take any positives out the season so far then good for you, we've developed Man City's keeper, we've got umpteen players on loan who will go back at the end of the season, I guess Ogilvie and Morrell are decent players but other than that I can't see much to be positive about.
(17-03-2022, 06:00 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-03-2022, 04:55 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Well Deep I've just watched the highlights to see if I missed anything but nope, not one shot remotely troubling the goalkeeper. We barely attacked until we conceded, that doesn't sound like a team trying to break their neck to win an important game. If you can take any positives out the season so far then good for you, we've developed Man City's keeper, we've got umpteen players on loan who will go back at the end of the season, I guess Ogilvie and Morrell are decent players but other than that I can't see much to be positive about.

And if the ref had given Hirst the penalty (not impossible IM0) and Thompson had not made his mistake I would bet any money that you would not be moaning about lack of ambition, and yet the ambition would have been exactly the same.
I asked that question earlier.
Pages: 1 2 3