TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: No Sunderland
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Next season. 

Could have been a lot funnier end to the season but, never mind, they've done it and good luck to them.

Wycombe a lot closer to visit, next season. Well done Gareth Ainsworth for being so magnanimous in defeat. Didn't expect that from him and a good comment on the subject of club ownership too. I almost like WW now.
Akimfemwa's last day. Twenty-two year career for a bloke that was told he was the wrong shape for football.
The wrong shape, the wrong age and the wrong ability!

We’d have loved him at FP!
We need a few more players who are the wrong shape but have the right attitude.
Mick Quinn, Warren Aspinall,
a lot more that I was too young to see
no doubt more recently that I've forgotten.

Deebo

The Yak was a little on the chunky side.
(23-05-2022, 11:34 AM)Deebo Wrote: [ -> ]The Yak was a little on the chunky side.

We’ve had quite a few players who didn’t look much like footballers but were loved by the fans.

Ray Hiron, Albie McCann, Nicky Jennings, Mike Trebilcock spring to mind.  Smile

Deebo

Milkins looked like he got outside of a few pies and pints. We were sure he used to take his teeth out just before ko and leave them by the goalpost.
(23-05-2022, 12:23 PM)Deebo Wrote: [ -> ]Milkins looked like he got outside of a few pies and pints. We were sure he used to take his teeth out just before ko and leave them by the goalpost.

Yes Milkins had no front teeth I seem to recall. He also used a gallon of Brylcreem to dazzle opposition forwards  Smile .
No Sunderland:

We'll end up being drawn against the fookers in one of the cups...

Deebo

(23-05-2022, 12:36 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-05-2022, 12:23 PM)Deebo Wrote: [ -> ]Milkins looked like he got outside of a few pies and pints. We were sure he used to take his teeth out just before ko and leave them by the goalpost.

Yes Milkins had no front teeth I seem to recall. He also used a gallon of Brylcreem to dazzle opposition forwards  Smile .

No front teeth and a capacious girth.

?
Well done to the Mackems. Whatever we think about them they deserved it & are a "Big Club".

Pompey were but Not for sometime so a reality check is needed for some supporters.

But, with the right management & attitude we can rise again from our recent tag of being Mediocre.

This needs to be driven by the Eisners via Tornante.

Do they want promotion to the Championship or not?

As we know how small pockets they have the best solution for everyone is put enough money in next season to try to get into the automatics then sell when the club's at it's most finanancially attractive to a new owner who's actually prepared to invest & aim for the Premier League within 3-5 years. With No doubt a new more experienced manager.
if "invest" means to make interest free loans and then take it back later, we will be right back where we have been so often before.
With the Eisners we have seen many millions spent on the club and not a penny of it has to be paid back putting the club at risk. The club owns the ground, the training complex and everything else, not an owner who will see it all out from under the football club.
(23-05-2022, 07:00 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Well done to the Mackems. Whatever we think about them they deserved it & are a "Big Club".

Pompey were but Not for sometime so a reality check is needed for some supporters.

But, with the right management & attitude we can rise again from our recent tag of being Mediocre.

As we know how small pockets they have the best solution for everyone is put enough money in next season to try to get into the automatics then sell when the club's at it's most finanancially attractive to a new owner who's actually prepared to invest & aim for the Premier League within 3-5 years. With No doubt a new more experienced manager.

Mikey, don’t you get bored of this crap every day? Are you one of the fans who thought they owned the club? Of course they want promotion but you can’t buy it and there aren’t queues of people wanting to buy the club, I really don’t know what makes you think there is.

They’ve invested tens of millions into the club and all debt free, do you want to go bust again? Maybe you could buy your share in the trust and pretend you own a football club again.
(23-05-2022, 08:03 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-05-2022, 07:00 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Well done to the Mackems. Whatever we think about them they deserved it & are a "Big Club".

Mikey, don’t you get bored of this crap every day? Are you one of the fans who thought they owned the club? Of course they want promotion but you can’t buy it and there aren’t queues of people wanting to buy the club, I really don’t know what makes you think there is.

They’ve invested tens of millions into the club and all debt free, do you want to go bust again? Maybe you could buy your share in the trust and pretend you own a football club again.

I don’t agree with the criticism of the Eisner because they have done what they said they would.

Not sure what your point about ‘thought they owned the club’ is all about though.

The Trust did own the club and the people who bought shares were part (albeit small) owners of the club, that is a fact.

I assume you didn’t put your hand in your pocket then?
(23-05-2022, 08:47 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

I don’t agree with the criticism of the Eisner because they have done what they said they would.

Not sure what your point about ‘thought they owned the club’ is all about though.

The Trust did own the club and the people who bought shares were part (albeit small) owners of the club, that is a fact.

The Trust owned a small part of the club. Yes I did, my issue is with those who think the Trust could have done anything moving forward and seem to hold a grudge with the Eisners because quite rightly they aren’t prepared to bankrupt us with multi million pound spending on players and a 45k
capacity stadium that will be 2/3 empty. We didnt own the club, some businessmen did.
(23-05-2022, 09:35 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-05-2022, 08:47 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

The Trust owned a small part of the club. Yes I did, my issue is with those who think the Trust could have done anything moving forward and seem to hold a grudge with the Eisners because quite rightly they aren’t prepared to bankrupt us with multi million pound spending on players and a 45k
capacity stadium that will be 2/3 empty. We didnt own the club, some businessmen did.

I agree that the Trust didn’t have the funds to carry the club forward, which is why I voted to sell to the Eisners.

The Trust did own the club though, there were high worth individuals who owned most of the shares that is true. 

Regardless of that there wasn’t enough money to continue, sadly.
No I 've never thought I owned the club Not that naive & thought the Trust did an excellent job saving the club.

No I didn't invest although interested at the time but there didn't appear to be any official donation schemes that I could see. I wasn't going to part with any cash unless I 100% knew it was going directly to the trust with some form of receipt.

No I don't want us going bust again but would like to see some form of on the pitch investment this season. Two ways to help achieve this are increased sponsorship & season ticket sales. Sponsorship in the past has been dreadfully lacking & hopefully with increased capacity we can increase money generated there.

No we don't want a huge interest free loan hanging around our neck but need to find away to improve the team. We should have made the play offs but again failed to make significant January transfer signings.

Basically the club needs managing much better. How long is it taking to recruit a new D.O.F. & sorting out the academy? One way to be self-sufficient is to grow our own but the structure needs to be in place.
(24-05-2022, 08:21 AM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]No I 've never thought I owned the club Not that naive & thought the Trust did an excellent job saving the club.

No I didn't invest although interested at the time but there didn't appear to be any official donation schemes that I could see. I wasn't going to part with any cash unless I 100% knew it was going directly to the trust with some form of receipt.

No I don't want us going bust again but would like to see some form of on the pitch investment this season. Two ways to help achieve this are increased sponsorship & season ticket sales. Sponsorship in the past has been dreadfully lacking & hopefully with increased capacity we can increase money generated there.

No we don't want a huge interest free loan hanging around our neck but need to find away to improve the team. We should have made the play offs but again failed to make significant January transfer signings.

Basically the club needs managing much better. How long is it taking to recruit a new D.O.F. & sorting out the academy? One way to be self-sufficient is to grow our own but the structure needs to be in place.
Invest???? You don’t even watch games unless it’s free!
All I ask of the Eisners is to show some ambition. Match that by setting some ambitious targets and back it up with the sort of competitive investment, league one wise, which means that Cowley doesn't have to deal in the 'bargain basement' as up to now. I'm not asking for multi-millions, just the right level of investment that should be within their means.
regarding the academy, we now have a site that should be ample but the requirements seem ridiculous and really seem set up to make sure only prem clubs can afford the money (or the space)
Ref Sunderland, I'll miss them only in the sense that they were the second L1 score I always looked out for (not in a nice way). No idea why, because in none of those seasons did either of us prove to be one of the main two to look out for. 

At least I've now got a Championship side to look out for un-nicely (not a word) - again no idea why that is, we beat them at Wembley, we beat them on water, but there's still something...
(24-05-2022, 05:45 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-05-2022, 08:21 AM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]No I 've never thought I owned the club Not that naive & thought the Trust did an excellent job saving the club.

Invest???? You don’t even watch games unless it’s free!

Totally out of order & Not true. I pay to have Sky Sports Not that it's any of your business!
(24-05-2022, 06:07 PM)Pangus Wrote: [ -> ]All I ask of the Eisners is to show some ambition. Match that by setting some ambitious targets and back it up with the sort of competitive investment, league one wise, which means that Cowley doesn't have to deal in the 'bargain basement' as up to now. I'm not asking for multi-millions, just the right level of investment that should be within their means.

Spot on Pangus & that's what I was trying to say.

Last season especially in January we weren't anywhere near being competitive.

We missed out on around 10-12 Cowley targets to smaller clubs like Wycombe & embarrassing.
(24-05-2022, 06:59 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]regarding the academy, we now have a site that should be ample but the requirements seem ridiculous and really seem set up to make sure only prem clubs can afford the money (or the space)

Most Championship clubs have  decent academy set ups especially th eones in the London area.
How did it work in the 1970's - we had nothing then but brought people like Steve Foster, Andy Awford ; Clive Green; Peter Denyer through ?
Pages: 1 2