TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Who here has proper football experience
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(31-05-2022, 05:53 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I think Blue Army wins this thread ! 

Now we have just got to work out who is he is.

Maybe it was a ladies....sorry, women's....team.
Come on, BA, cough up.
I was blessed with a gifted left foot and was a regular free kick, penalty, set piece taker. I scored some crackers too. I could also pick a pass although not to the extent that Alexander-Arnold can. Unfortunately the rest of my game - running about, work-rate, heading, getting stuck in etc, was fairly shite so i never rose much above Sunday league level. I played for one season at a fairly good standard in a Kent Saturday league and came up against the occasional ex pro (usually ex Gillingham and almost always a cocky, mouthy coont) but mostly involved warming the bench or worse, running the line. I realised i had reached my ceiling.
I played local footie with a couple of clubs.
But my claim to fame was playing alongside Ray Crawford.
It was a Sunday league 2, and Tony Mount was in the team, 
He was Rays then son in law. that's why Ray played with us. 
He played centre back, I was Right back.
If I remember correctly we didn't lose a game after that. Big Grin
Reply to foxyblue.
I played alongside Ray Crawford when he ran the youth team and played in the reserves. Thourougly nice bloke. I liked him a lot.
I had a run of games in the reserves. I was 17/18 at the time. This was when Ian St. John was the manager would have been around 1977 ish? We had about 15 professionals signed on.
The first team went away - only 11 of them, it was the days before subs. The rest and the youth team made up the reserve matches.
My Pompey career, If I was to have had one, was ended with a broken leg playing against Duisburg under 21's in Germany.
Strength in depth? pah! You will never win anything with kids...where have I heard that before?
agree, he was a smashing bloke.
he helped all our team (Civil Service) Wasn't big headed and didn't shout, just advised us
anyone know if he's still alive?
86 and going strong
My claim to fame is I used to clean Deep Blues boots, once he let me keep the mud from between the studs and I still have that in a display case on my living room wall. I also had to hand wash his jock strap after each game. That was tough work. I still have a used one, signed by DB and in the same, extra large, display case. Those were the days.
Less than average local football. Played in the Middlesex Sunday league for many years. Hackney marshes had some very bad changing rooms. On the South marsh the shower was an outside water pump with just cold water. You just stuck your head under it in full kit lol. This was the 1980s. Standard of football mixed to say the least but that’s Sunday football. Played against Paul Vaessen a few years after he left arsenal. He only lasted a half but there were a lot of heavy drinkers and drug taking was also a thing. Tragedy what happened to him.

For several seasons also Played Saturdays in the old catford league for a team based in lewisham. No thuggery at all. Some took the football very seriously.

I think I’ve worked out who Blue Army is. Will he give us 20 questions?
He's Yakubu isn't he.

Deebo

(18-06-2022, 01:08 PM)Ain’t got a Danny Wrote: [ -> ]Less than average local football.  Played in the Middlesex Sunday league for many years. Hackney marshes had some very bad changing rooms. On the South marsh the shower was an outside water pump with just cold water. You just stuck your head under it in full kit lol.  This was the 1980s.  Standard of football mixed to say the least but  that’s Sunday football. Played against Paul Vaessen a few years after he left arsenal. He only lasted a half but there were a lot of heavy drinkers and drug taking was also a thing. Tragedy what happened to him.

For several seasons also Played Saturdays in the old catford league for a team based in lewisham. No thuggery at all. Some  took the football very seriously.

I think I’ve worked out who Blue Army is. Will he give us 20 questions?

Similar experiences on the marshes and you’re bang on about the fairness of the play in London. Certainly my experiences in the 70s and better than the Cotswolds which was nothing short of medieval village warfare between clans of wurzels. My bro-in-laws being the worst of them all.

I think BA’s initials could be K.A.
Keith Andrews ?

Deebo

Half way there Tag. Someone I know of fits the bill and could be a Pompey supporter as he was signed by the club but never played a game for us. I could be well off the mark though.
So you think he is Keith Allen ?

Deebo

Yes that’s my punt that is Deep.
(18-06-2022, 03:09 PM)Deebo Wrote: [ -> ]Yes that’s my punt that is Deep.

Doesn't quite fit the description but close enough.
Who I’m thinking of didn’t play for Pompey but started off not too far away. His brother was on Pompeys books briefly after being signed from non league.
For someone who has played professionally, seems to spend a lot of time slagging off fellow professionals. Unusual.
(19-06-2022, 03:45 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]For someone who has played professionally, seems to spend a lot of time slagging off fellow professionals. Unusual.

For someone who has allegedly played professionally, seems to not know much about the game and spend a lot of time slagging off fellow professionals. Unusual.

Fixed that for you - you're welcome.
Maybe his inability to judge the merits of centre-backs was why he only got to play in the lower leagues ? 

Actually, if his claim is true we should treat his views with some respect, but I still think he is very very wrong about Raggett.  Even ex-pros, like the rest of us, can be guilty of making their mind up about a player and being too stubborn to change their mind in the face of later evidence to the contrary.  In fact, thinking about it,  professional managers do it all the time - you could even call it a trait within the game.
(19-06-2022, 09:18 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe his inability to judge the merits of centre-backs was why he only got to play in the lower leagues ? 

Actually, if his claim is true we should treat his views with some respect, but I still think he is very very wrong about Raggett.  Even ex-pros, like the rest of us, can be guilty of making their mind up about a player and being too stubborn to change their mind in the face of later evidence to the contrary.  In fact, thinking about it,  professional managers do it all the time - you could even call it a trait within the game.

Absolute rubbish, Deep, I could always spot a wrong 'un.  Back in 1980 I played against Alvechurch who had a lanky centre forward who, frankly, had the finesse of a prison doctor.  Alan Smith was his name and I thought he was awful and even then was playing well above his abilities.  Whatever happened to him?! Rolleyes

Seriously, I agree with you and there are so many examples of players who aren't rated but then go one to do good things, plus those who are overrated and fade away from the game pretty quickly.  I'll tell my Freddy Adu story one day.
Well if he is who I think he is he’s got my respect. Football is all about opinions . The man had a decent career. He also did play in the top league via a few sub appearances I think.

Again if he is who I think he is, his brother signed for Pompey from Gosport Borough where he is still held in high regard. I think the fee was around£10k. A change of manager meant his stay was brief.
If so, not surprising he didn't mention his scum connections, both as player & coach.
(19-06-2022, 01:44 PM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]Ian Juryeff?

I was going to post that too - I know his brother was with Pompey but always thought Ian had stripey allegiances.

Last I heard he was out in France or Belgium.
(19-06-2022, 02:30 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]If so, not surprising he didn't mention his scum connections, both as player & coach.

And as a supporter from what I can recall.
(19-06-2022, 02:44 PM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-06-2022, 02:30 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]If so, not surprising he didn't mention his scum connections, both as player & coach.

And as a supporter from what I can recall.

That would make all his negative posts suddenly make sense ... they could easily be those of a scummer on a wind-up.
Pages: 1 2 3