TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Our squad is frighteningly bad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Looks like McGeady has gone as well.
Why would he want to play for a pub-team in a pub league? I watched Hibs play Ross County last season. My local village team could have beaten either !
(18-06-2022, 01:53 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like McGeady has gone as well.

Wow, he’s 36. I never realised he was that old. Certainly didn’t look it whenever he played against us!
I still think he could’ve done a job for us this season. Always gave a 100%
(17-06-2022, 10:37 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-06-2022, 10:11 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-06-2022, 05:56 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-06-2022, 05:36 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]You can’t have seen Raggett play last season, he hardly put a foot wrong

I respect your opinion but can I I ask if you went to many away games?

He was torn apart time and time again away from home. But he wasn't the only one to be fair. Not sure if that's to do with the system etc but away from home he wasn't very good.

I'm not singling out Raggs, as he is one of many players not good enough for this club.

I'll never boo them on matchday and they'll get my support on matchday but I can't believe that there aren't more people extremely concerned with the state of the squad.

I'd be less concerned if our squad was in a decent condition but it isn't.

I saw all the away games and Raggett was superb for much of the season.

Curious that you think he was poor when Pompey were away. It would be interesting which ones you thought he was torn apart in.

Did you see any matches?

Yes.

From the top of my head he was terrible away at sheff wed, rotherham, mk dons, wigan, burton, accrington and at home v Charlton, mk dons, Ipswich and Cambridge. There were others too.

Oh, ok. Tell us your memories of those games and I’ll revisit them to see what you’re talking about.
Mikey could probably give us more insight because he’s seen all the highlights.

Goodness only knows how he got player of the season.
It's hard to work out if we have a leaky defense because of the players or because of the style we play. It's probably a mixture of both.

Home form seems to have clicked and we look relatively solid most of the time. Occasionally though we had our pants pulled down and our bottoms spanked.

Away from home we could barely keep a clean sheet for love nor money. Do you blame the players, the tactics or the formation? It's probably a combination of teams attacking us more when they are at home and the players not being consistent enough to fend them off.

It is a problem though.
Again, We’re still early in the window.

I’m not particularly a fan of DC (“if we don’t  make the play offs it’ll be over my dead body” 2021)  but positives from last year is that he moved on high earning underachievers, did ok  in the loan market with Hurst and Bazunu which could mean attracting similar on loan and beating the top teams when they still had things to play for. 

Patience is always good.
(18-06-2022, 03:51 PM)Ain’t got a Danny Wrote: [ -> ]Again, We’re still early in the window.

I’m not particularly a fan of DC (“if we don’t  make the play offs it’ll be over my dead body” 2021)  but positives from last year is that he moved on high earning underachievers, did ok  in the loan market with Hurst and Bazunu which could mean attracting similar on loan and beating the top teams when they still had things to play for. 

Patience is always good.

I agree and as much as I dislike DC as a manager he did manage to get some decent players.  We won’t go up, we won’t get relegated, we will make signings, some good and no doubt some not so good.

I don’t personally think there is any point throwing millions at players as the iPad in charge isn’t right.
i wonder which way we are going.
We seemed to decide that wing backs were the thing and signed some.
After a month of leaking like a sieve, those players seemed to be kicked into touch and we went back four
Having kept Jacobs, Harness and Curtis (so far) it would seem that wing backs are not to be after all.
Lets revisit the old adage.
Best form of defence is attack.
As the attack was pretty crap it goes without saying that more pressure is on the defence.
More pressure means more mistakes.
Contentious but I thought the reason we went 3 at the back is because we are so dreadful in midfield we needed a fifth man
Just spoke to a Leeds fan in London as he's there on long weekend. Said he couldn't understand why Pompey fans have just accepted being another league one club and cannot understand why there aren't protests from the fans. 

I explained the investment in the stadium and training ground but he said the lack of investment in the playing side is inexcusable for a club the size of Pompey. He said Leeds fans would have kicked off long before now.

I actually agree with him.
(18-06-2022, 07:47 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]Just spoke to a Leeds fan in London as he's there on long weekend. Said he couldn't understand why Pompey fans have just accepted being another league one club and cannot understand why there aren't protests from the fans. 

I explained the investment in the stadium and training ground but he said the lack of investment in the playing side is inexcusable for a club the size of Pompey. He said Leeds fans would have kicked off long before now.

I actually agree with him.

Lol oh well then if a random Leeds fan you’re chatting up says so.

Ask what is meant by the phrase ‘doing a Leeds’.
Imo, if the club are serious about promotion to the Championship they should invest now in a Championship playing budget. With a League One budget the club are more likely to remain in League One.
(18-06-2022, 09:34 PM)billyb Wrote: [ -> ]Imo, if the club are serious about promotion to the Championship they should invest now in a Championship playing budget. With a League One budget the club are more likely to remain in League One.

Good to see a new face on this board, welcome.

Tbf I don't think our budget is that good for league one. Its a mid table budget sadly. We have owners who won't spent any money on the team.
(19-06-2022, 08:18 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]That pretty much sums up the mentality of your typical northern monkey. Owners say they'll run the club within its means and invest in the stadium, fans agree to sell the club specifically on that basis, they then proceed to run the club within its means and invest in the stadium (while also under-writing millions of pounds of lockdown losses), and the tached-up wife-beating coont can't understand why there aren't protests.

Pound to a penny he's a Brexit-voting simpleton.

Well I agree that the club is being run exactly as the Eisners said it would be and that the fans voted for that.

So you think the people who voted to sell were not simpletons but the people who voted for Brexit were, selective or what?

I’m sure there were people from either side of the Brexit divide who voted to sell on the basis of the proposal offered.

As for Brexit voters being simpletons, I suspect many of them are considerably further up the food chain than you  Smile . You may be a super intellect of course but I know where my money is.
The owners want promotion and progress both off and on the pitch was much as any supporter. However, they have said consistently that they will not be throwing money at the team - we all know where that got us in the past.

They are ploughing much needed money in to both the infrastructure at Fratton Park and the training ground without loading the club with debt. There is also evidence of money starting to be spent on the Academy (note several recent job positions advertised).

The Cowleys will have a decent budget to spend on transfers & wages, but at the moment there is little transfer activity in ALL lower leagues, that will change over the next 3/4 weeks - 1983, 1993, 2003, 2013 - it is our year.

PUP.
(19-06-2022, 08:48 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-06-2022, 08:18 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]That pretty much sums up the mentality of your typical northern monkey. Owners say they'll run the club within its means and invest in the stadium, fans agree to sell the club specifically on that basis, they then proceed to run the club within its means and invest in the stadium (while also under-writing millions of pounds of lockdown losses), and the tached-up wife-beating coont can't understand why there aren't protests.

Well I agree that the club is being run exactly as the Eisners said it would be and that the fans voted for that.

So you think the people who voted to sell were not simpletons but the people who voted for Brexit were, selective or what?

I’m sure there were people from either side of the Brexit divide who voted to sell on the basis of the proposal offered.

As for Brexit voters being simpletons, I suspect many of them are considerably further up the food chain than you  Smile . You may be a super intellect of course but I know where my money is.

I love the fact that Gilles accused this northerner of being a wife-beating coont but Gaffer was more worried by him being called a Brexit-voting simpleton.   I think that is called touching a nerve.
(18-06-2022, 10:02 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-06-2022, 09:34 PM)billyb Wrote: [ -> ]Imo, if the club are serious about promotion to the Championship they should invest now in a Championship playing budget. With a League One budget the club are more likely to remain in League One.

Good to see a new face on this board, welcome.

Tbf I don't think our budget is that good for league one. Its a mid table budget sadly. We have owners who won't spent any money on the team.

But it isn’t a mid table budget.
(19-06-2022, 09:09 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-06-2022, 08:48 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

I love the fact that Gilles accused this northerner of being a wife-beating coont but Gaffer was more worried by him being called a Brexit-voting simpleton.   I think that is called touching a nerve.

The key point is the ‘tache, a kite mark of dinloism.
This policy shows how far behind the rest of the league we are. Pompey within its means is less than the league within its means. Either we get lucky AF or we are doing another 5-10 years in L1 whilst the ground and the academy (hahahahahaha) catches up.
It seems that the majority of our fans are content with being a league one club for many years to come whilst we add a bit of paint to the stadium with some extra seats.
(19-06-2022, 01:32 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]This policy shows how far behind the rest of the league we are. Pompey within its means is less than the league within its means. Either we get lucky AF or we are doing another 5-10 years in L1 whilst the ground and the academy (hahahahahaha) catches up.

Agreed. We are stuck in this league for many years to come and the majority of our fans seem content with that.

Fans like you and I know we are as a club are far better than league one.
(19-06-2022, 01:32 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that the majority of our fans are content with being a league one club for many years to come whilst we add a bit of paint to the stadium with some extra seats.

Lol
(19-06-2022, 01:34 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-06-2022, 01:32 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]This policy shows how far behind the rest of the league we are. Pompey within its means is less than the league within its means. Either we get lucky AF or we are doing another 5-10 years in L1 whilst the ground and the academy (hahahahahaha) catches up.

Agreed. We are stuck in this league for many years to come and the majority of our fans seem content with that.

Fans like you and I know we are as a club are far better than league one.

Seriously mush, you are either a very good troll or you write like a sulking 12 year old who thinks their team has a divine right to be at the top of the pile.  Facts are facts, we're a bang average L1 team and at best are likely to stay that way for a good while yet, although there's no guarantee we'll even achieve that much next season.  It is what it is and right now I'd hazard a guess that most people have got more to be worried about than whether Pompey are going to become the mahoosive team you think they should be*.

*Spolier alert:  They won't.
Pages: 1 2 3 4