TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Hirst
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Leicester have released and apparently waived any fee. It’s meant to be between us and Ipswich. If Pigott can play on the left then I’d be happy to sign Hirst permanently. 
https://therealefl.co.uk/2022/08/15/prem...eculation/
(15-08-2022, 01:34 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Leicester have released and apparently waived any fee. It’s meant to be between us and Ipswich. If Pigott can play on the left then I’d be happy to sign Hirst permanently. 

If he came here rather than Ipswich, I'll eat Bishop's magic Hat.
Wouldn't seem a lot between the two clubs except the wages offered. Having done well here he would do well to return. But probably won't sadly. Fingers crossed though, we would be serious contenders for top two with 3 plus one proper stirkers.
The thing is though it would be a permanent signing. Spurs aren’t going to sell Scarlett just yet and we have yet to see if Pigott is worth a fee, but as mentioned the stumbling block could be wages
So all those urging the Eisners to splash the cash on him early in the window are proved dramatically wrong. Being patient has it's rewards. 

But to be honest I do not think we need him now .... Bishop is better and he & Piggott are both more experienced, and Scarlett seems more than adequate back up.  Can't see how we could accommodate Hirst into that equation so we shouldn't be too worried if he goes elsewhere, but going for a free is a big surprise.
No thanks, no need to get in a bidding war with Ipswich.
I’d be surprised if a Championship club did not look to pick him up for free.
Interesting situation. We know he's class from the way he finished last season. Also, he's young so lots of potential moving forwards. Yes, we have 2 good established strikers but if one gets injured we have Scarlett who sounds really good. If we can get him on reasonable wages why not. I would think he would prefer Pompey to Ipswich as he & DC get on.Ball in the Ipswich Court or maybe a Championship side will swoop down & grab him.
It also looks like DC called this one right as well

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...es-3806153
(15-08-2022, 02:06 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]So all those urging the Eisners to splash the cash on him early in the window are proved dramatically wrong. Being patient has it's rewards. 

But to be honest I do not think we need him now .... Bishop is better and he & Piggott are both more experienced, and Scarlett seems more than adequate back up.  Can't see how we could accommodate Hirst into that equation so we shouldn't be too worried if he goes elsewhere, but going for a free is a big surprise.

If its the Hirst from Jan onwards we'd be mad not to try. 
Not sure Bishop is better. Hirst from Jan onwards was a superb finisher, he's also quicker & from what I've seen able to run the channels better than Bishop. Its no slight on Bishop, he's a excellent striker. But to have both would be fantastic.
Hirst and Bishop would be our own permanent signings . As much as Scarlett and Pigott excite and obviously have potential, they go back to their clubs at the end of the season. There’s no reason why Hirst & Bish couldn’t form a partnership. However, if I’m being honest I do think DC will make a move for a left winger signing instead. I think it all depends on who we shift , maybe if someone bids for Curtis we could afford both ( wages wise).
He would be an asset, set to accumulate in value. Would be of value to the team too. It obviously depends on wages but it would be naively foolish to pass the opportunity up, if we do have a chance.
(15-08-2022, 04:32 PM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]Hirst on a free is an absolute no-brainer.

The fee is not as relevant as the wages.  

Apparently he was on 11k a week last year, of which Leicester paid half. He'll have to take a big cut in that to come down to Lge 1 , but he will still likely be top earner either here or at Ipswich. Which is why he will jump at a championship club if they show interest. Blackburn were rumoured to be interested a few weeks ago. 

Cowley has performed wonders to assemble a decent squad within the playing budget - I can't see him breaking the bank now.  So if he does want Hirst then someone like Curtis will need to go out.
(15-08-2022, 04:44 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-08-2022, 04:32 PM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]Hirst on a free is an absolute no-brainer.

The fee is not as relevant as the wages.  

Apparently he was on 11k a week last year, of which Leicester paid half. He'll have to take a big cut in that to come down to Lge 1 , but he will still likely be top earner either here or at Ipswich. Which is why he will jump at a championship club if they show interest. Blackburn were rumoured to be interested a few weeks ago. 

Cowley has performed wonders to assemble a decent squad within the playing budget - I can't see him breaking the bank now.  So if he does want Hirst then someone like Curtis will need to go out.
For once I agree with you
so if to get him we let curtis go and could to replace him....
Still lots of work to do before the transfer window closes
but 2 permanent + 2 loans up front seems better than only one of our own
What if we get Hirst pre January? He has a lot to prove still.

5 good months doesn’t make a career.
(15-08-2022, 05:32 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]so if to get him we let curtis go and could to replace him....
Still lots of work to do before the transfer window closes
but 2 permanent + 2 loans up front seems better than only one of our own

In isolation, Curtis out and Hirst in, would be great business. But as you point out, it's the wide areas where we're not sure we are fully stocked with match winners. Balancing the squad at this stage is crucial but long term it is still a no-brainer. 

If we are lucky, we will get some money for tunnicliff & freeman that would save us the headache of finding another wide player at this late stage.
From TCF- Filbert Way:
George Hirst is likely to join Portsmouth as a deal looks close either on loan or as a permanent deal. Hirst would trigger a certain fee as his talent is one to rate. Most likely possible for Pompey to reach an agreement of a buy if they get promoted and also add on’s to consider.
(15-08-2022, 06:55 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]From TCF- Filbert Way:
George Hirst is likely to join Portsmouth as a deal looks close either on loan or as a permanent deal. Hirst would trigger a certain fee as his talent is one to rate. Most likely possible for Pompey to reach an agreement of a buy if they get promoted and also add on’s to consider.

Yeah I saw this, I think it’s an old report from last season, he’s been released so there’s no LFC at all, no fee, no loan (fee).  I think it’s down to George, does he come here where he knows the staff and some of his colleagues or go to either a championship club or Ipswich both on a better wage (probably), I think we have a chance, but a slim one, with his familiarity with the club being our draw.
(15-08-2022, 07:17 PM)rawalan Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-08-2022, 06:55 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]From TCF- Filbert Way:

Yeah I saw this, I think it’s an old report from last season, he’s been released so there’s no LFC at all, no fee, no loan (fee).  I think it’s down to George, does he come here where he knows the staff and some of his colleagues or go to either a championship club or Ipswich both on a better wage (probably), I think we have a chance, but a slim one, with his familiarity with the club being our draw.
I think it’s current as all the other reports are July and August plus this is the last paragraph in the article:
A move back to Portsmouth after his grand loan spell last season looks as a good deal for all parties, George Hirst, Leicester and Portsmouth.”
(15-08-2022, 04:21 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-08-2022, 02:06 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]So all those urging the Eisners to splash the cash on him early in the window are proved dramatically wrong. Being patient has it's rewards. 

If its the Hirst from Jan onwards we'd be mad not to try. 
Not sure Bishop is better. Hirst from Jan onwards was a superb finisher, he's also quicker & from what I've seen able to run the channels better than Bishop. Its no slight on Bishop, he's a excellent striker. But to have both would be fantastic.

I certainly don't remember Hirst t as a superb finisher. I don't remember him as a good passer of the ball either.
What I do remember was that he has the pace to frighten any defense and willingness to try and batter his way past any  centre half that dares to get in his way.
He would be a tremendous asset to the squad and would give us an option to play one up front, if needed. If one of our strikers gets injured, Hirst would be ideal as backup.

He gives us options. Sign him!
With us having a couple of experienced strikers he also has players to learn from, but guess Ipswich have the same?
I thought he had been released?
(15-08-2022, 01:34 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Leicester have released and apparently waived any fee. It’s meant to be between us and Ipswich. If Pigott can play on the left then I’d be happy to sign Hirst permanently. 

Just a point of order here but if you go on to the Leicester City website he is still there and hasn’t been removed.
(15-08-2022, 09:15 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Just a point of order here but if you go on to the Leicester City website he is still there and hasn’t been removed.

that suggests to me that a move is in progress
Pages: 1 2