TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Our defence
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has been all over the place again today. Don't want to start singling out players.

I have said from the first game of the season we can't get promoted with this defence. We will be exposed against the better teams in the league as we have been.

It's not a kneejerk reaction as I've said it from the start.

We might make the playoffs but we never win them anyway.

Attacking wise we are good and in midfield too, but our defence and keepers our are weak spot. If you don't have a solid backline you cant achieve anything.
To be fair to  Blue Army  the defence has looked totally unbalanced over the last two matches.

Robertson is no left back & Ogilvie isn't a right back. Im not convinced with Morrison being other than a back up for Raggett. 

Hopefully the two week break will give the injured players a chance to get fit and we can go to Ipswich playing round pegs in round holes.
(17-09-2022, 03:50 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]Has been all over the place again today. Don't want to start singling out players.

I have said from the first game of the season we can't get promoted with this defence. We will be exposed against the better teams in the league as we have been.

Attacking wise we are good and in midfield too, but our defence and keepers our are weak spot. If you don't have a solid backline you cant achieve anything.

You post this from Cape Town?! Fuck off scummer.
(17-09-2022, 04:20 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair to  Blue Army  the defence has looked totally unbalanced over the last two matches.

Robertson is no left back & Ogilvie isn't a right back. Im not convinced with Morrison being other than a back up for Raggett. 

Hopefully the two week break will give the injured players a chance to get fit and we can go to Ipswich playing round pegs in round holes.

Why did Raggett head it into the goal too? He didn't need to make the intervention as there was cover.

At worst his positioning was poor and could have headed it out of play.

Their second goal we got carved open.
Bite my lip. I will not answer.
In fairness to Raggett, did Griffiths shout to leave the ball?

Whose fault was it?
(17-09-2022, 03:50 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]Has been all over the place again today. Don't want to start singling out players.

Bluearmy, you really are just hoping we fall apart to "prove you right" aren't you. You're looking for every negative possible to post about. It's a long season but we are currently unbeaten so maybe be a little bit happier about that as sofar we have mostly scored more than we have conceded which is the main aim of the game.

Your constant negativity, that's been going on from the start of the transfer window, is getting pretty boring now!

Try and cheer up.
Looks like we'll need to strenthen the defence & possibly other areas in January.
No Griffiths didn't shout. Raggs dived to head it clear and deflected into the net. Just one of those things but for me we fell apart after that, they ought to have made it 1.3 but didjn't. Same as last season we deservedly got a late late equaliser.
The more worrying issue for me is that Swanson hasn’t been deemed adequate cover for Rafferty, keeping round pegs in round holes. Saying that, the full backs weren’t at fault today. Whilst the central pairing were (as usual) totally dominant in the air, Raggett made a totally unnecessary intervention for no. 1 and Morrison was hopelessly out of position for no. 2. I think, once everyone’s fit, the big decision will be Robertson or Morrison alongside Raggett.
The contest is on for fall boy of the season.
With Curtis off the pitch and Reeko scoring , Raggett moves up the ratings.
Better than last season, but not good enough. Particularly the defence.

The ball did not cross the line.

Dale looked good.

Has Scarlett been found out? Would Bishop and Pigott starting be better for a game or two?

I like the look of Koroma too.
I agree with what has been said.

The ball I agree did not cross the line.

I think this team will finish 4th. 

I just hope we can get out of this division this season.
The only player who bothered me today was Bishop. He was well off his game today I thought and spent far too much time on the floor complaining. A bit disappointing after his terrific goal Tuesday.
(17-09-2022, 05:11 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]I just hope we can get out of this division this season.

If 'we' is Southampton, you have a really really good chance of achieving that goal.
We do need another RB but it is odd that Robertson and Raggett aren't the central 2 with Ogilvie on the left. 3 round pegs in round holes there. Instead of the current set up with just 2.
(17-09-2022, 04:31 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]Why did Raggett head it into the goal too? He didn't need to make the intervention as there was cover.

At worst his positioning was poor and could have headed it out of play.

Their second goal we got carved open.

Miscommunication for 1st goal. 

As for 2nd  goal,as Briefcase said Morrison was totally out of position,, Ogilvie was left marking  2 players and made a great effort to get across.

Rafferty, Raggett, Robertson, Ogilvie are good enough as 1st choice back four, but we need Swanson & Hune up to speed ASAP to provide round peg, round hole cover
(17-09-2022, 05:04 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]The more worrying issue for me is that Swanson hasn’t been deemed adequate cover for Rafferty, keeping round pegs in round holes. Saying that, the full backs weren’t at fault today. Whilst the central pairing were (as usual) totally dominant in the air, Raggett made a totally unnecessary intervention for no. 1 and Morrison was hopelessly out of position for no. 2.  I think, once everyone’s fit, the big decision will be Robertson or Morrison alongside Raggett.

For me that's the easiset decision DC will have to make all season. It's Raggett & Robertson all day long - apart from anything else Raggett is more comfortable with the ball at his feet when playing on the right. Robertson is class, Morrison used to be but was bought as cover and good cover but at his age he can't play every week. 

Not sure how you can describe Raggett's intervention as unnecessary, it was a dangerous low cross into the box and needed putting out for a corner, which is presumably what he was trying to do.
I see you Ash.
We are second in the league, and not many of us would have had us there at the beginning of the season.

On a plus note, them coonts didn't take 3 points off us... Enjoy the night off have a another beer. And enjoy the ride this season it's going to be a good one...Wink PUP
(17-09-2022, 04:56 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like we'll need to strenthen the defence & possibly other areas in January.

3rd best defensive record in the league so far ? Hardly a crisis.
According to Deepblues posts on this forum we are the best club team or International team since Brazil 1970.
Still unbeaten and with the knack of scoring late goals, even when not at our best. That's a sign of a team with a bit of backbone. Ipswich were 2 up with 15 to play and didn't win.... who will be the more disappointed tonight?
(17-09-2022, 07:23 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]According to Deepblues posts on this forum we are the best club team or International team since Brazil 1970.

We are the best club ... I thought that's why we are all proud to support Pompey. 

Except you.
(17-09-2022, 07:32 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-09-2022, 07:23 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]According to Deepblues posts on this forum we are the best club team or International team since Brazil 1970.

We are the best club ... I thought that's why we are all proud to support Pompey. 

Except you.

Of course we are the best club.

But do you really think we will finish top 2 ?
Pages: 1 2