TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Looking 2nd Best to Hapless Morcombe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Looks to me like they have ditched the high press which was serving them so well in the first few games this season, either because of it causing/significantly contributing to the recent spate of knack or because it may exacerbate the current injury crisis further. I can't begin to fathom the system they are currently using. Not sure the players can either. Doesn't appear to be a plan b.
Do modern fixture lists aim to have two games a week to give modern fans minimal time to melt down on line?
(15-11-2022, 03:07 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]IMO Every manager should get three years to achieve their targets. Jackett got given a fourth because of Covid, which was a mistake.    The only manager we have had since reforming under fan ownership that I would not have given three years to was Barker, I still think Awford & Whittingham could have succeeded given more time and backing.

You mentioning Barker I see that he is now Assistant Manager at Derby who we play Friday.....
Guy's only qualifications were that he played for us and said yes when anyone without heart strings for the club would have said absolutely fuck no. I am not sure we would have not should have given him any commitment the moment someone with skills and experience became affordable. Objectively speaking.
(15-11-2022, 10:57 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Guy's only qualifications were that he played for us and said yes when anyone without heart strings for the club would have said absolutely fuck no. I am not sure we would have not should have given him any commitment the moment someone with skills and experience became affordable. Objectively speaking.

No, those were not his only qualifications.  He had done the job before as caretaker, had done two non-league management jobs, and he was, and still is, very knowledgable about the game, as proven by getting his job coaching coaches at the FA.
(15-11-2022, 06:42 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]Looks to me like they have ditched the high press which was serving them so well in the first few games this season, either because of it causing/significantly contributing to the recent spate of knack or because it may exacerbate the current injury crisis further.  I can't begin to fathom the system they are currently using. Not sure the players can either. Doesn't appear to be a plan b.

They've adopted the slow passing around the back and cutting in from the wings ineffective system.
(16-11-2022, 10:00 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-11-2022, 10:57 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Guy's only qualifications were that he played for us and said yes when anyone without heart strings for the club would have said absolutely fuck no. I am not sure we would have not should have given him any commitment the moment someone with skills and experience became affordable. Objectively speaking.

No, those were not his only qualifications.  He had done the job before as caretaker, had done two non-league management jobs, and he was, and still is, very knowledgable about the game, as proven by getting his job coaching coaches at the FA.

Those who can’t, teach.

Guys a legend but a good manager he is not.  I think he’s proved that.
He took on the job when we were ramshackle, had no chance.
It seems to me that football management requires some unique abilities, skills and personality to succeed. Whittingham and for that matter Awford, despite their Pompey attachment, playing ability, close knowledge of the game, soon went the way of so many before them in realising that they didn't have those unique skills to carry out that job.
(16-11-2022, 04:23 PM)Pangus Wrote: [ -> ]It seems to me that football management requires some unique abilities, skills and personality to succeed. Whittingham and for that matter Awford, despite their Pompey attachment, playing ability, close knowledge of the game, soon went the way of so many before them in realising that they didn't have those unique skills to carry out that job.

That is true of so many areas in life. Good managers are hard to come by in most work environments. Often not the most accomplished at the job they are managing but good at management itself.
Pages: 1 2 3 4