TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Good evening chaps.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
There are a multitude of quotes from famous folk that are Pompey related.

Nelson Mandela ( 45 years a South Stand D section season ticket holder) after watching Steve Moran scoring the last minute winner in the 84 cup game. “ fook the Nobel peace prize, Winnie get the tyres out and meet me in Goldsmith Avenue. Those coonts are having it”
(24-02-2021, 03:52 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]That's really good of you Savzzz, you just can't find people with those old fixing-up skills anymore.

Thanks I like to help the aged and people less fortunate than me.
Catching a little mob of Middlesbrough walking back to their minibus and one of them says and I quote 
We don’t want any trouble lads but we will defend ourselves.
Bish bash bosh and they are running in all directions.
They must of hated coming to Pompey, it never ended well for em

Deebo

Old Henner was a dozy fat fvcker. If you turn the cannons west from Southsea castle he would have hit the diving tower at HMS Dolphin. Some absolute monarchs eh? Daft as brushes.
(24-02-2021, 06:05 PM)TheSyrup Wrote: [ -> ]Catching a little mob of Middlesbrough walking back to their minibus and one of them says and I quote 
We don’t want any trouble lads but we will defend ourselves.
Bish bash bosh and they are running in all directions.
They must of hated coming to Pompey, it never ended well for em

I remember they came to fratton opened the gate at the Milton end got about 5 feet then realised they’d made a huge mistake so they about turned and shut the gate behind them.
Bristol City mid 70s, they came through the Fratton End gates into the open area between the Fratton End and the south lower. Twenty/ thirty of them obviously had a bad attack of bravery and had the intention of, presumably, spending the game in the home end. Either that or they were just dinlos and just got the wrong turnstiles. Got scattered all over the shop. One of them even, somehow, clambering back over the turnstiles to escape. Spent the whole game tucked in the lower south with a protective Police line. The funny bit and I can remember it like it was yesterday. Was as the avalanche dropped on them I heard and saw one of them screaming “we didn’t mean it, we didn’t mean it”
That Middlesbrough game, wasn’t that the one were one of theirs got pulled for carrying a scalpel?
That might have been the game when they got absolutely smashed to bits in the Milton arms, make no mistake that was a savage beating.
Loved it when Northern teams turned up expecting to large it with the soft southern shandy drinkers. Usually left with a different outlook than what they turned up with, it almost became a point of honour to educate them. Even better when the soft southern shandy drinkers travelled up north.
Newcastle
She’d Utd
Sunderland
Forest
Leeds would of been interesting but for the ob
That 84 ish game at Elland Road, the game the gates on the back steps pinged open. Was definately going our way until the horses ruined it. Similar at Main Road same season. After the game, gates,inside the ground,behind the stand we were in were unlocked and unguarded were it met the the end with the seats. Twenty/thirty of us got through and into them before you could blink. Plod with dogs put an end to it, but an interesting few minutes with a couple of theirs sparked out. Surprised their boys in the seats!

Youthful enthusiasm is a wonder to behold.
Those were the years Pompey were in their prime.
The Leeds game was that the one where they came bombing round the corner then suddenly realised we weren’t going anywhere? You could literally see the shock on their faces.
The man city game must have been the one when there was a mass punch up in the park one of the biggest I’ve been in. Ruined my Lyle and Scott jumper that day that bothered me more than fvckin huge cut on the back of my head if I remember correctly they were only down in div 2 for 1 season so it had to be that game.
Were either of you at the boxing night in Swindon by any chance?
Me and PN were talking about the Swindon trips and how much fun they were the other day and that came up in the conversation because he was there that night it sounded like a right laugh.

I wasn’t near as bad as you two you’re proper naughty boys but we had some fun on our travels.
I am not and have never been a naughty boy. I am just easily led!
Ahhhh oh to be part of the culture club
It’s funny you should say that Smirnoff, I only ever wanted a Bovril and a Programme and to watch the game and next minute .,
Pow Ping and boom and before you know it you have nicked a coppers hat.
Different era, nearly a lifetime ago. Britain was different, society was different. Most that were around then were not brought up to turn the other cheek. In football, the rampant tribalism that is this countries bedrock found an outlet. In hindsight, our efforts might have proved more fruitful if our target had been the political classes!
Fighting for the aristocracy. How working class.

Deebo

I once deliberately tripped up a Granny in Commercial Road.
Now there you go again. Misunderstanding my motives again. My point was, as much fun as it was, my generation could have channeled their efforts into areas were all that effort and endeavour might have made a real difference. Being more politically aware and active. Engaging in politics and the political machine.
Like selling "Bulldog", you mean?
(22-02-2021, 05:34 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]So this is were everyone has been?  Big Grin

Good to see you back reunited with the site. 

Sorry to hear about your kidnapping escapade in Portchester Creek.

I thought it might have been a long lock in at The Seagull but see it's Now a Hungry Horse pub.

Used to be a pretty good boozer 30 years ago!

I remember coaches for away games leaving late on a Friday nights from there.
(25-02-2021, 04:28 PM)TheSyrup Wrote: [ -> ]It’s funny you should say that Smirnoff, I only ever wanted a Bovril and a Programme and to watch the game and next minute .,
Pow Ping and boom and before you know it you have nicked a coppers hat.

Those were the days, when a flattened police helmet was tossed around the Fratton End. Late 70s when there were crowds of 8000.
Selling “bulldog”? Au contrair, as Del boy might say.Late 70s a good contingent of Pompey, myself included,got our hands dirty in places like Southall fighting the very people that you now label me as one of. The reason I now despise much of the current so called left is because I am from the left. The fickle, middle class, polytechnic revolutionary’s talk the talk but are never around when the very fires they stoke need putting out.
(25-02-2021, 05:28 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]Now there you go again. Misunderstanding my motives again. My point was, as much fun as it was, my generation could have channeled their efforts into areas were all that effort and endeavour might have made a real difference. Being more politically aware and active. Engaging in politics and the political machine.

My apologies Smirns, I was thinking your shared love of the dratsing with your droogs stretched to a political affiliation.

For what's it worth though, I was doing the CND and anti-apartheid marches, etc and I don't think it changed anything.
Eh???
Pages: 1 2 3