TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Good evening chaps.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(25-02-2021, 06:46 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]Selling “bulldog”? Au contrair, as Del boy might say.Late 70s a good contingent of Pompey, myself included,got our hands dirty in places like Southall fighting the very people that you now label me as one of. The reason I now despise much of the current so called left is because I am from the left. The fickle, middle class, polytechnic revolutionary’s talk the talk but are never around when the very fires they stoke need putting out.

So on the one hand you lament your lack of activism whilst "rolling with the 657" and, on the other, you claim to be confronting skinheads around various parts of the country.

Not really credible, is it?
Tuffers old boy. Anti apartheid was an honourable pursuit and remains so. The thing you realise as you gain a bit of life experience is. Violence at demonstrations is always fuelled by a difference of opinion. It usually reaches that stage because of the rhetoric of those rarely actually involved in the violence itself. Political grooming of youngsters rarely ends well for the youngsters.
It wouldn’t be credible to you Bill. Because you seemed saddled with blind assumption. Firstly, I did not “roll with the 657” as you put it. The core of that illustrious group are around five years younger than me. Secondly, enjoying a bit fun at football did not automatically mean that you had to be “right wing”. Of course there were chaps whose views were right of centre but many more that were not. Political affiliation made little difference on match days. I could regale you with tales about having miners from South Wales stay in various houses in the town while some of us fund raised for their families during the miners strikes,the irony being that three of us housing the taffs had been nicked a couple years earlier for getting caught up in a row with a team from that neck of the woods!. But hey, facists don’t do that either, do they?
You once called me a liar ( the Cenotaph episode), anytime, after Covid obviously, you fancy a pint. I can bring a folder full of paperwork that would back up my claim. The offer is always there son.
Isn’t it funny how these dins sneer at the likes of us, I have lost count of the times at away games when it came on top that they were more than happy that we were there on the way back to the station.
I was never into the political stuff and only went to a football lads thing a few years ago out of curiosity and decided that it wasn’t my thing.
Great Mob of Pompey though in a boozer just off of Oxford St.
Smirns, I'm a lover not a fighter. No rucks on the marches I was on, 'cept the Poll Tax Riot but I quickly got out of that. The AA marches were good though, Gil Scott Heron and the dub tent.
I always liked the away matches against the London Clubs early 70's when we were in the old Division 2, and early to mid 80's when in same Division.
Millwall (Old Den) was an interesting trip, as was Palace,Charlton,Fulham,QPR and Leyton Orient.

Always got a good following to those grounds.
Syrup, on match days we were all Pompey. Political affiliations never entered into it, and personal differences were usually put aside. The sense of togetherness was unique when following Pompey.

Tuffers, I wouldn’t call myself a fighter either, more an enthusiastic but inefficient scuffler. Big Grin You mention music. It was music during the late 60s, 70s and early 80s that did more to destroy elements of racism than politics ever did. Clubs and gigs were magnets for black and white youth. Huge steps were made during that time with little input by politicians. It only started to go wrong when race relations turned into an industry!
That FLA thing I was on about, the only good bit of the day was leaving the boozer about 200- 250 just off of Oxford st and criss crossing a couple of alleys past the Banksy artwork of a woman falling off of a building with a shopping trolley and we ended up walking down a small side street and onto park lane where there was thousands of geezers.
As we walked out of the side street there was a spontaneous chorus of play up Pompey.
Typical Pompey turning up with a Proper Mob coming out of the shadows.
It must of looked impressive.
(25-02-2021, 07:50 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]You once called me a liar ( the Cenotaph episode), anytime, after Covid obviously, you fancy a pint. I can bring a folder full of paperwork that would back up my claim. The offer is always there son.

Well that’s not gonna happen the blokes got a complete lack of morale fibre.

Deebo

I once flicked the Vs at a copper’s back. Can I join the gang? 

Big Grin
I went to that FLA march, first time I had been to anything like it. I was a bit worried on the way up there on the train, thinking, "Am I doing the right thing here ?".
Seeing a huge mob of people, all football lads was very impressive. Speakers included veterans, serving soldiers and even some police. I remember listening to the copper, as he was saying whats the point of going to the other side of the world to fight extremism and then not putting that effort in back here. The police were with us in every way as the message was, " we are fighting extremism happening in this country". The march was against extremism, that's extremism in every form.
Was there a sniff of right wing views there ? Yes of course, that would be normal in these circumstances, but what stood out was it was a peaceful march that said, "We are here if you need us ?"
The highlights for me were West Ham turning up, the Gurkhas and thier
wives waiting at Trafalgar square and then the last Post on Westminster Bridge.
I was with Derek Clark RIP when the Last Post was being played.
Great day out, until a bit later when a few people decide to play up at Waterloo !!
(25-02-2021, 07:50 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]I can bring a folder full of paperwork that would back up my claim.

FAF! 

"Hm....I know....better keep a record of all the stuff I've done in case I meet someone in the future who doubts my leftie credentials".

That's right up there with exgaffer's Native American shaman who doesn't care about his ethnicity. 

No wonder I called you a liar.
(26-02-2021, 05:33 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-02-2021, 07:50 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]I can bring a folder full of paperwork that would back up my claim.

FAF! 

"Hm....I know....better keep a record of all the stuff I've done in case I meet someone in the future who doubts my leftie credentials".

That's right up there with exgaffer's Native American shaman who doesn't care about his ethnicity. 

No wonder I called you a liar.

BTC is quite fond of calling people liars isn’t he? Ironic as he is the one who seems to have the most tenuous grip on reality  Smile . You called me a liar and you were wrong mush, you appear to have done the same with Smirnoff, it’s becoming a bit of a habit. He was a medicine man who, by virtue of his ethnicity, was legally allowed to use hallucinogenic substances when treating people. I didn’t say he didn’t care about his ethnicity, he was proud of it. I said he didn’t mind being called an Indian, and he didn’t.

‘Clubs and gigs were magnets for black and white youth. Huge steps were made during that time with little input by politicians. It only started to go wrong when race relations turned into an industry’. Fecking right Smirnoff, an industry that Tuffers and BTC are slaves to. That one sentence of yours carries far more validity than any of the drivel the ‘woke’ brigade could muster between them ffs.
(26-02-2021, 05:26 PM)countofmontecristo Wrote: [ -> ]wives waiting at Trafalgar square and then the last Post on Westminster Bridge.
I was with Derek Clark RIP when the Last Post was being played.
Great day out, until a bit later when a few people decide to play up at Waterloo !!

Some Pompey had a bit of a tear up with Leeds that day, typical Leeds vastly outnumbered Pompey, came bowling down the road throwing bottles and glasses and Pompey went towards them and Leeds miraculously were stopped by a couple of women police officers.
As for Waterloo one of the young lads gave a millwall geezer a clump and that was about it really, we were expecting them to turn up for an hour or so and we lost interest and got the train home.
Massive mob of Pompey outside the Windmill waiting for any takers.
"‘Clubs and gigs were magnets for black and white youth. Huge steps were made during that time with little input by politicians. It only started to go wrong when race relations turned into an industry’. Fecking right Smirnoff, an industry that Tuffers and BTC are slaves to. That one sentence of yours carries far more validity than any of the drivel the ‘woke’ brigade could muster between them ffs."

Oh yeah, lets all take a lesson from Guff the Islamophobe. I don't think so.
Bill, get a grip mate. A few old charge sheets and a few newspaper clippings. As I say, all available to be seen by you anytime you want to meet for a pint. If you are too timorous to contemplate taking me up on my offer that’s your issue. The offer is there in good faith. As I have said to you previously I have no need to lie.
I'm sure you can appreciate my cynicism.

You write of regret that you did not pursue a more active political agenda whilst younger, and yet you now tell us that you were beating up fascists in Southall and housing striking miners back in 1984. In addition you have " a folder full of paperwork" (which has since become a "few old charge sheets and a few newspaper clippings") as evidence of your leftist credentials. I doubt your charge sheets would tell us whose side you were on anyway, would they?

Thank you for your kind invitation but I'll pass.

You have frequently displayed a, shall we say, more conservative attitude in matters of racial equality which simply does not fit with your alleged past. Even stating that race-relations is now an industry - which makes absolutely no fvcking sense - shines a "spotlight" on your actual position.

You either oppose prejudice towards minorities or you don't.
(25-02-2021, 08:02 PM)TheSyrup Wrote: [ -> ]Isn’t it funny how these dins sneer at the likes of us, I have lost count of the times at away games when it came on top that they were more than happy that we were there on the way back to the station.

Not that you'd ever be caught sneering at the likes of me!

I have never needed you and your mates to protect me on the way back to the station. I've travelled to watch Pompey all over the country without incident, which doesn't mean I can't take care of myself if the need arose. Simply put, I never went looking for trouble.

(The closest I got to a kicking was a Sunday afternoon in Leeds in 2004 after United were relegated from the Premiership by Pompey.......and where the fvck were you then?)
Never quite that simplistic though is it Bill. Your view, in common with those on your side of the fence. Appears to be that minorities setting in this country can do no harm and that they get a pass on most things simply because they are minorities. The debate on mass immigration and the social and economic consequences of it needs to be a lot more serious than that and frankly, a tad more in-depth.
When the first race relations acts came into being. They were at the time the most far reaching statement of intent of any country in Western Europe. That legislation was put on the statute books by an overwhelmingly White House of Commons,elected by an overwhelmingly white electorate. A country full of white rascists seem to have wanted and got legislation that protected minorities. That was a great starting point and one that I remain immensely proud of. Minorities in this country are our fellow citizens, our neighbours, our equals and every bit a part of this country as the likes of me. I would still stand up today to reinforce this.
That said, I retain my right to criticise anything that I feel has a negative impact on social cohesion in our country. Unplanned mass immigration has many negative aspects, particularly on those at the lower end of the economic spectrum. A dilution of services and an increase in competition for accommodation serves no one well, including the immigrants themselves.
I will not mention Islam, not wishing to get you and Tuffers frothing at the mouth on a lovely Saturday morning. But it IS the real elephant in the room.

You have a good day, and that offer of mine is open ended. Anytime, any place.
A calm and polite post smirn,as all discussions should be.
Don't be mistaking me for the frothy type. I'm calm-reasonableness personified.
Pages: 1 2 3