TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Next Manager/Coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Let’s hope the board pick the right manager and not the cheapest manager. Wilder is the proven choice but will obviously want assurances regarding transfer budget, and rightly so.
Fingers crossed that the Eisners finally realise after Jackett and Cowley that you get what you pay for.

Unless of course they are happy with being in League 1. Quess the next few days will show their true ambitions.
(11-01-2023, 11:49 AM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]Let’s hope the board pick the right manager and not the cheapest manager. Wilder is the proven choice but will obviously want assurances regarding transfer budget, and rightly so.
Fingers crossed that the Eisners finally realise after Jackett and Cowley that you get what you pay for.

Unless of course they are happy with being in League 1. Quess the next few days will show their true ambitions.

You could just as well title this thread ".....i.e. Liam Manning" whose appointment would confirm all your worst fears: cheap, easy appointment, get what you pay for.
He will, of course get our backing but, like the Cowleys fluffing their lines over that Accrington match, it's aleady not looking good.

Here's how they compare:
Cowley   -   Games as manager: 754, Win percentage: 50.3%,     Achievements: Promotion to L1, Promotion to L2, Quarter-finals of FA Cup
Manning -   Games as manager: 113, Win percetnage: 47.79%     Achievements: Play-offs with MK....(but left them bottom of L1 in Dec)

Contacts? Best pick would be (maybe) a few at West Ham from when he was U23 coach (in 2015), otherwise it would be lower leagues fare.

But, most importantly.....
-  he won't ruffle the feathers of Richard Hughes
-  he won't cost any compensation
-  he would 'fit in' with the club's vision

Specsavers anyone?
We will see their ambition for the club with this manager appointment
If it is to be Manning I borrowed this from their forum.........LM is a very good coach, he didn’t become shit overnight, the blame for the demise of the club this season wasn’t his fault, it was the inept signings and dreadful loan players lumped on him, plus of course shredding the side of its premium players.

He’ll end up a success with a progressive club, I wish him all the best..........
Damn.. I was just getting hopeful and then you said 'progressive club'!! Which one is that?
The MK Dons sides I've seen at FP the last few games have been impressive and usually shown us up. Manning can't be that bad a choice.
(11-01-2023, 12:55 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]The MK Dons sides I've seen at FP the last few games have been impressive and usually shown us up. Manning can't be that bad a choice.

Someone posted on another forum that they also think it’s Manning. Can we expect an announcement before Saturdays game at Bolton?
(11-01-2023, 12:48 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]If it is to be Manning I borrowed this from their forum.........LM is a very good coach, he didn’t become shit overnight, the blame for the demise of the club this season wasn’t his fault, it was the inept signings and dreadful loan players lumped on him, plus of course shredding the side of its premium players.

He’ll end up a success with a progressive club, I wish him all the best..........

...or you could have borrowed this from the same forum...

"I'll be amazed if Manning is other than a miserable failure there."

Or this:

"I thought he was a bit dull and uninspiring. And I also don't feel he deserves sole credit for the 3rd place finish either - he inherited the best L1 squad we have perhaps ever had."

You pays yer money....
How can they appoint a manager who was sacked after leaving their team bottom of league one. That would be completely crazy and asking for trouble.
(11-01-2023, 01:07 PM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2023, 12:55 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]The MK Dons sides I've seen at FP the last few games have been impressive and usually shown us up. Manning can't be that bad a choice.

Someone posted on another forum that they also think it’s Manning. Can we expect an announcement before Saturdays game at Bolton?

Well if someone on a forum said it then it must be a done deal.
Who ever came up with the concept of a dof in charge of recruitment and a coach trying to get the best out of players he probably wouldn't have chosen must have been a complete knob.
Lots of good things been said of his time as West Ham U23 manager and coach at Belgium club Lommel SK. MK won here last season then sold O'Reilly to Celtic. After a one goal loss to Wycombe in the playoffs Twine was sold to Burnley and Sweeting to Swansea. Off to a bad start this season he got the sack just before the game here which of course MK won. I agree with Kindofblue in that he can't be that bad of a choice, seems to me many will be underwhelmed if he does get it. Massive decision for Pompey, I just hope they get it right
(11-01-2023, 12:36 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2023, 11:49 AM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]Let’s hope the board pick the right manager and not the cheapest manager. Wilder is the proven choice but will obviously want assurances regarding transfer budget, and rightly so.

You could just as well title this thread ".....i.e. Liam Manning" whose appointment would confirm all your worst fears: cheap, easy appointment, get what you pay for.
He will, of course get our backing but, like the Cowleys fluffing their lines over that Accrington match, it's aleady not looking good.

Here's how they compare:
Cowley   -   Games as manager: 754, Win percentage: 50.3%,     Achievements: Promotion to L1, Promotion to L2, Quarter-finals of FA Cup
Manning -   Games as manager: 113, Win percetnage: 47.79%     Achievements: Play-offs with MK....(but left them bottom of L1 in Dec)

Contacts? Best pick would be (maybe) a few at West Ham from when he was U23 coach (in 2015), otherwise it would be lower leagues fare.

Specsavers anyone?

What was McKennas managerial record before taking over at Ipswich?
(11-01-2023, 01:20 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]Lots of good things been said of his time as West Ham U23 manager and coach at Belgium club Lommel SK.  MK won here last season then sold O'Reilly to Celtic. After a one goal loss to Wycombe in the playoffs Twine was sold to Burnley and Sweeting to Swansea. Off to a bad start this season he got the sack just before the game here which of course MK won.  I agree with Kindofblue in that he can't be that bad of a choice, seems to me many will be underwhelmed if he does get it. Massive decision for Pompey, I just hope they get it right

Sorry N, I didn't notice his record at sellling off decent players. I'm sure Clarke, Burgess, MacGillivray and Whatmough would agree that he will fit in here just fine!
(11-01-2023, 01:22 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Here's how they compare:

Specsavers anyone?

He was Mourinho's assistant at Man Utd. A first time manager but with a better quality background than anyone we are being linked with.

Here's how they compare:

Specsavers anyone?

First of all, McKenna has achieved nothing at Ipswich. They are currently sitting in the play-off.......and on a bit of a wobble......with half the season yet to go. Watch this space!

Secondly, Ipswich went through four managers in three years before appointing McKenna. The club's appointment policy is akin to a roulette wheel. Newcastle did the same and so did Milan Mandaric......eventually your chips come in. But that's not Tornante's game, is it? They've already made it clear that this would a be a long-term appointment and if the Manning gamble doesn't pay off we'll still be stuck with him, probably still mid-table in League One this time next year.
Point is, if you have to gamble at least check the odds of the runners.

By the way, assuming it is Manning, I would welcome anyone tagging this post and reposting it during our promotion celebrations in May to remind me of how wrong I was. 
If that happens, I might even show my ar@e in Burton's window!
Cowley should have been sacked at the beginning of December but only after management had identified their top 3 targets and worked out a timetable to get them in before the transfer window.

Never mind that the DOF thinks that additions aren’t required or aren’t affordable. The new bloke might want to tie up deals to sell people he doesn’t want and to send llanees back to their parent clubs.

If PFC think the business of identifying players to play in a system and having overall say on the squad is the preserve of the DOF then let Hughes manage the team. If he’s shit he can then be sacked.
(11-01-2023, 01:49 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Here's how they compare:

Specsavers anyone?

He was Mourinho's assistant at Man Utd. A first time manager but with a better quality background than anyone we are being linked with.

Thanks I did know his background DB!
(11-01-2023, 01:54 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]

Here's how they compare:

Specsavers anyone?

First of all, McKenna has achieved nothing at Ipswich. They are currently sitting in the play-off.......and on a bit of a wobble......with half the season yet to go. Watch this space!

Secondly, Ipswich went through four managers in three years before appointing McKenna. The club's appointment policy is akin to a roulette wheel. Newcastle did the same and so did Milan Mandaric......eventually your chips come in. But that's not Tornante's game, is it? They've already made it clear that this would a be a long-term appointment and if the Manning gamble doesn't pay off we'll still be stuck with him, probably still mid-table in League One this time next year.
Point is, if you have to gamble at least check the odds of the runners.

By the way, assuming it is Manning, I would welcome anyone tagging this post and reposting it during our promotion celebrations in May to remind me of how wrong I was. 
If that happens, I might even show my ar@e in Burton's window!

No one is getting us promoted this season. Repost that in May.

If Manning doesn’t work out he’ll be sacked, probably along with Hughes.
(11-01-2023, 01:59 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Here's how they compare:

Specsavers anyone?

The question was rhetorical, DB.
(It's part of Pg's riposte style) 
It's like me saying....
Are we sure that Manning has a "better quality background than anyone else we are being linked with" ?
Or
Naturally, Chris Wilder's background is nothing compared to Manning's.
Oh no, hang on, that's sarcasm.
Who ever they appoint, I wish they hurry up and do it.
The January transfer window is shutting if we need new players in and dumping the rubbish out.
Give the new bloke some time FFS.
The time it has taken so far to appoint a new manager, smacks to me that they don't have a clue and cannot make their minds up on who to appoint and more importantly for us fans 10 days of the widow gone!
(11-01-2023, 03:49 PM)mike hunt Wrote: [ -> ]The time it has taken so far to appoint a new manager, smacks to me that they don't have a clue and cannot make their minds up on who to appoint and more importantly for us fans 10 days of the widow gone!

Yeah they should have just appointed the first person who phoned up, definitely not taking time to get it right.
(11-01-2023, 02:17 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2023, 01:59 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2023, 12:36 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]You could just as well title this thread ".....i.e. Liam Manning" whose appointment would confirm all your worst fears: cheap, easy appointment, get what you pay for.

Here's how they compare:

Specsavers anyone?

The question was rhetorical, DB.
(It's part of Pg's riposte style) 
It's like me saying....
Are we sure that Manning has a "better quality background than anyone else we are being linked with" ?
Or
Naturally, Chris Wilder's background is nothing compared to Manning's.
Oh no, hang on, that's sarcasm.

Who we are linked with and who is interested are completely different things. What the press publish isn’t the clubs fault and after the massive balls with leaks at the club over appointing a DoF, I imagine no one knows anything.

Wilder I suspect isn’t interested, I hope I am wrong and I hope the club are interested in him but I can’t see him fitting in to the structure.

We can’t slag off the club when we have no information and I don’t for 1 second believe the board (not the Eisners) will simply choose the cheap option.
(11-01-2023, 05:19 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2023, 03:49 PM)mike hunt Wrote: [ -> ]The time it has taken so far to appoint a new manager, smacks to me that they don't have a clue and cannot make their minds up on who to appoint and more importantly for us fans 10 days of the widow gone!

Yeah they should have just appointed the first person who phoned up, definitely not taking time to get it right.

Possibly, but you dont sack the current manager if you have not got someone in mind. DC was on borrowed time for months. They should have at least had a number of candidates who were interested?
Pages: 1 2 3