TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Keep or Leave
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's getting close to the end of the season, who would you like to keep next season out of the players out of contract and on loan.

This is my picks.

Di'Shon Bernard  Leave
Jay Mingi            Keep
Michael Jacobs    Leave
Louis Thompson  Leave (need someone who can play 90mins every game)
Josh Oluwayemi  Leave
Dane Scarlett      Leave
Reeco Hackett     Leave
Owen Dale          Leave
Jayden Reid        Leave
Kieron Freeman   Leave
Ronan Curtis       Keep 
Ryan Tunnicliffe   Leave
Joe Pigott           50/50 
Connor Ogilvie    Keep
Clark Robertson  Leave
Matt Macey        Keep
These are, Mix
Di'Shon Bernard Leave (He's not ours anyway)
Owen Dale Ditto
Joe Pigott Ditto
Dane Scarlett Ditto
Matt Macey Keep if possible

Josh Oluwayemi Keep (decent enough affordable back up)
Connor Ogilvie Keep
Jay Mingi Keep
Jayden Reid offer 1 yr contract
Michael Jacobs Leave
Louis Thompson Leave
Reeco Hackett Leave
Kieron Freeman Leave
Ronan Curtis Leave
Ryan Tunnicliffe Leave
Clark Robertson Leave

Raggett - sell
keep Macey,the rest can go
(12-03-2023, 01:30 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Di'Shon Bernard  Leave (He's not ours anyway)
Owen Dale        Ditto
Joe Pigott          Ditto
Dane Scarlett      Ditto
Matt Macey        Keep if possible

Josh Oluwayemi  Keep (decent enough affordable back up)
Connor Ogilvie    Keep
Jay Mingi          Keep
Jayden Reid      offer 1 yr contract
Michael Jacobs    Leave
Louis Thompson  Leave
Reeco Hackett    Leave
Kieron Freeman  Leave
Ronan Curtis      Leave
Ryan Tunnicliffe  Leave
Clark Robertson  Leave

Raggett - sell
I’d only sell Raggett if we found better. We need backup for every position. He’s a good starter and would be an excellent reserve.
There’s loads better, especially ones who are comfortable with the ball at their feet. His footballing ’skills’ are atrocious for professional footballer, CB or not.
Not true. He turns on a sixpence, can see a long pass, has a half decent Cruyff turn (come out twice recently) and delighted us with three turns in their box while surrounded by four defenders on Saturday before laying it off to a teammate. No lack of skills on Raggers. Just runs like a duck.
(12-03-2023, 04:16 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Not true. He turns on a sixpence, can see a long pass, has a half decent Cruyff turn (come out twice recently) and delighted us with three turns in their box while surrounded by four defenders on Saturday before laying it off to a teammate. No lack of skills on Raggers. Just runs like a duck.

Agreed ... it is a total myth that Raggett is uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. 

Sure, he can make mistakes and his gait makes those mistakes  look more clumsy than most players (runs like a duck is a great simile for him) but all league one centre backs make mistakes . But his Raggettino turns when they come off make him look one of the best with his feet in the division.
Keep Macey, Towler, Rafferty, Morrell, Curtis and Bishop. 

Buy new for the rest.
(12-03-2023, 01:30 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Di'Shon Bernard  Leave (He's not ours anyway)
Owen Dale        Ditto
Dane Scarlett      Ditto

Connor Ogilvie    Keep
Jay Mingi          Keep
Michael Jacobs    Leave
Louis Thompson  Leave
Reeco Hackett    Leave
Kieron Freeman  Leave
Ronan Curtis      Leave
Ryan Tunnicliffe  Leave
Clark Robertson  Leave

Raggett - sell

Bit harsh on Ragget don't you think?
My take on raggett for what it’s worth he is a mid table league one centre back if we want to push up and challenge he should not be in the starting line up.
He obviously divides supporters. However, compare him with others who are always injured. He hasn't missed a game in three years and has chipped in with 14 goals. Can't think of many others we can say the same about in recent years.
(12-03-2023, 05:21 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]
Owen Dale        Ditto
Dane Scarlett      Ditto

Connor Ogilvie    Keep
Jay Mingi          Keep
Michael Jacobs    Leave
Louis Thompson  Leave
Reeco Hackett    Leave
Kieron Freeman  Leave
Ronan Curtis      Leave
Ryan Tunnicliffe  Leave
Clark Robertson  Leave

Raggett - sell

Bit harsh on Ragget don't you think?

No
Helluva tackle that yesterday. Like Norman Hunter in his heyday. Totally took the ball, granted the Wednesday player was taken too but that's just by the way. He's a star. Gives it out and can take it.
I'd keep Thompson, he was playing pretty much all the games, I don't count a broken leg as being injury prone.
We need more of his attitude to balance out the little pretty boys.
Probably a squad player if we upgrade the squad, but a properly good one.
Think your list was a little harsh to be honest.

Since Mouse took over Tunni has been really good.

Raggett when coached properly to do the basics is fine.

What people dont realise is that to sell we have to be able to get someone better.

I'm not confident in our ability as a club to do this and our owners will look to do things as cheap as absolutely possible using inconsistant players, loan signings and freebies.

To progress we've got to keep some decent players even if they are inconsistant or flawed!
This is largely unrealistic rubbish, we're dealing with Pompey here not a club of similar standing with genuine ambition.

If you look at the constraints of our playing budget one of the things that Cowley actually did right was to build a half reasonable squad. The problem was he didn't know how to make the best use of it!

To embark on another wholesale rebuild is madness when we should be looking at some consistency and continuity based our better performers from yet another disappointing season. So the idea of a radical rethink should be a non-starter unless Eisner and his bean counters have a change of heart and decide to show some genuine ambition to escape from this awful league.

The loan signings are likely to return to their respective clubs. The Mouseman for reasons known to him will be keen to hang onto Dale but has another year left on his contract on Championship money so he'd better off staying at Blackpool. Macey should be a 'yes' and although only a reserve keeper he came down from Scottish Premier just last summer (fee involved?) and he's another who'll be on Championship money. Another one is Piggott but he's on something like £8,000 a week at Ipswich.

Do you see where I'm going? I agree that Freeman and Robertson should be let go.  We might be able to move on Hume and hopefully recoup some of the £200,00 we spent on him despite numerous warnings from those up on Wearside as to his ability. The jury is out on Jacobs and Thompson because one is clearly injury prone and the other simply can't do ninety minutes. The idea of letting Ogilvie go is non-sensical, where Curtis is concerned he should definately stay and, in any event, we have a duty of care until he is fully fit and Tunnicliffe under the Mouseman has proved beyond doubt he is worth another year.

If we have the sweeping changes advocated by some perhaps they should ask themselves exactly how we are going to improve on these players within the parameters of a playing budget that doesn't compare with the promotion candidates this season
Take out the word decent and you’re right, he did build half a squad and thought loans were the way to go with the other half. He left us in a mess.
(13-03-2023, 11:37 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]Take out the word decent and you’re right, he did build half a squad and thought loans were the way to go with the other half. He left us in a mess.

We're in danger of agreeing on something here!
(13-03-2023, 10:30 AM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]This is largely unrealistic rubbish, we're dealing with Pompey here not a club of similar standing with genuine ambition.

If you look at the constraints of our playing budget one of the things that Cowley actually did right was to build a half reasonable squad. The problem was he didn't know how to make the best use of it!

To embark on another wholesale rebuild is madness when we should be looking at some consistency and continuity based our better performers from yet another disappointing season. So the idea of a radical rethink should be a non-starter unless Eisner and his bean counters have a change of heart and decide to show some genuine ambition to escape from this awful league.

The loan signings are likely to return to their respective clubs. The Mouseman for reasons known to him will be keen to hang onto Dale but has another year left on his contract on Championship money so he'd better off staying at Blackpool. Macey should be a 'yes' and although only a reserve keeper he came down from Scottish Premier just last summer (fee involved?) and he's another who'll be on Championship money. Another one is Piggott but he's on something like £8,000 a week at Ipswich.

Do you see where I'm going? I agree that Freeman and Robertson should be let go.  We might be able to move on Hume and hopefully recoup some of the £200,00 we spent on him despite numerous warnings from those up on Wearside as to his ability. The jury is out on Jacobs and Thompson because one is clearly injury prone and the other simply can't do ninety minutes. The idea of letting Ogilvie go is non-sensical, where Curtis is concerned he should definately stay and, in any event, we have a duty of care until he is fully fit and Tunnicliffe under the Mouseman has proved beyond doubt he is worth another year.

If we have the sweeping changes advocated by some perhaps they should ask themselves exactly how we are going to improve on these players within the parameters of a playing budget that doesn't compare with the promotion candidates this season
Why is it an ‘awful league’?

Could be argued that there are and have been bigger clubs than you find in the championship. At least it’s competitive.
(13-03-2023, 12:00 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-03-2023, 10:30 AM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]This is largely unrealistic rubbish, we're dealing with Pompey here not a club of similar standing with genuine ambition.

Why is it an ‘awful league’?

Could be argued that there are and have been bigger clubs than you find in the championship. At least it’s competitive.

We are two or three players short of being a top six club, no rebuild required.

The reason we lost to Wednesday on Saturday is that we had no real cutting edge. We had about 62% of the ball and played all the football but they scored one and should have had two more. Sort out the attack and we will be a very good team at this level.

Wholesale squad replacement would put us back to square one and only a fool would go down that road imo.
(12-03-2023, 11:16 AM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]It's getting close to the end of the season, who would you like to keep next season out of the players out of contract and on loan.

This is my picks.

Di'Shon Bernard  Leave
Michael Jacobs    Leave
Josh Oluwayemi  Leave
Dane Scarlett      Leave
Reeco Hackett     Leave
Owen Dale          Leave
Jayden Reid        Leave
Kieron Freeman   Leave
Ronan Curtis       Keep 
Ryan Tunnicliffe   Leave
Connor Ogilvie     Leave
Clark Robertson   Leave
Matt Macey         Keep

I'd keep:

Oluwayemi - has shown enough promise to take up the option
Thompson - the only natural tackler we have in midfield
Ogilvie - you must be mental to not want him to stay
Reeco - one footeded but it is a good foot and he has some hight. Also cheap.

Possibly keep jacobs if he goes on another pay as you play contract.

Remove:
Curtis. Not good enough and I also don't like his attitude. 
Raggett. If we genuinely want promotion we need to sell him. Not good enough .

The others I pretty much agree with you on.
I'm with exgaffer on this one. Barring when a club has gone into admin I'm not sure anyone has ever done massive changes in playing staff like are being suggested. We're a few players off a promotion challenge but not 13 or 14.
(13-03-2023, 03:28 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2023, 11:16 AM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]It's getting close to the end of the season, who would you like to keep next season out of the players out of contract and on loan.

This is my picks.

Di'Shon Bernard  Leave
Michael Jacobs    Leave
Josh Oluwayemi  Leave
Dane Scarlett      Leave
Reeco Hackett     Leave
Owen Dale          Leave
Jayden Reid        Leave
Kieron Freeman   Leave
Ronan Curtis       Keep 
Ryan Tunnicliffe   Leave
Connor Ogilvie     Leave
Clark Robertson   Leave
Matt Macey         Keep
Ogilvie - you must be mental to not want him to stay
Thanks for pointing that mistake out to me.... I can't believe I missed him out... I would 100% Keep Ogilvie.

I have edited it now.

Thanks
I'd prefer to keep/renew the reliable, non-injury prone players who regularly get selected to play. Not including the loans:

Raggett
Bishop
Ogilvie
Tunnicliffe
Hackett
Morrell
Thompson
Lane
Towler
Oluwayemi
Rafferty - if now 100% back
Lowery - ditto
Curtis - although I don't rate him, he cares so I think we should too

The rest would be subject to a medical. There is no use having players on the books that can't play because they are always injured. Of the loans, Macey and Pigott would be good signings. Dale can go do one.
Pages: 1 2