TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Retained list
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
"And there’s no real surprises in those who will now be seeking new clubs, with confirmation that Clark Robertson, Kieron Freeman, Louis Thompson. Ryan Tunnicliffe, Michael Jacobs, Jayden Reid, Alfie Bridgman and Dan Gifford will all be departing."

"Connor Ogilvie is the only first-team regular whose contract was up for renewal who will remain. The club have activated a 12-month option on the left-back, who will now be contracted with Pompey until June 2024."

"A similar course of action has also been taken up with youngsters Josh Oluwayemi and Harry Jewitt-White"

"Pompey have also offered fresh terms to midfielder Jay Mingi, despite the 22-year-old failing to play a senior competitive game under Mousinho"

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...st-4141173
I would have let go Josh Oluwayemi.... I think we can do so much better.

And kept Michael Jacobs..
Louis Thompson not retained?
I hope Mikey is going to be OK with Crackers leaving.
I thought Thompson was decent and we really missed him when he was out. Hopefully his replacement will be equally physical and a bit taller, we need a bit more height against the northern teams.
Would've let Josh go.
Disappointed that Dan Gifford didn't make the grade - looked so promising. Hope he has a good career elsewhere.
(12-05-2023, 06:55 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Would've let Josh go.

I probably agree, but it's raw right now, isn't it? That terrible pass was right in front of where I was, and overall it seemed like his poor performance was to do with confidence, but they always say goalkeepers have to be mad, and nutjobs rarely lack confidence, so long term, that's going to be an issue.
I’m not a fan of Josh to be honest, had some good games in the cup but not great in the league. Hopefully backup to Macey.
If keepers are pressured to pass out from the back then we will see more and more of such bad passes.
A bit of pace up front would allow us to play a longer ball from time to time and hit our opponents after their own corner as we so often have been threatened.
To be quite honest if we have got genuine ambition and we're going to invest in the playing budget then the young keeper is very fortunate....and so is Mingi, in my view.
Otherwise there's no great surprises but I hope that the two guys we're unloading purely because of fitness issues don't come back and bight us in the bum at some stage.
Looking at the list and the return of the loan players plus the fact it's our alleged intention to rely less on loan players then this really is a very major overhaul and makes it absolutely imperartive that we hold onto Bishop and Morrell. Thoes two should be the first ones through the office door tomorrow to be greeted with an improved contact; that'd be very forward thinking for PFC.
As I say, if we are genuinely ambitious (unlikely, in my view) then we are looking at 9/10 players plus a couple of loanees and we have to be very sure that whoever we bring in is going to be a significant improvement on the likes Tunnicliffe, Jacobs, Robertson, Thompson and Co. Other than those that are out of contract or on a freebie that's going to involve a number of six figute transfer fees and wages comparable those paid by other clubs with genuine aspirarations in terms of acheiving promotion. Not sure I can see that happening, can you?
I expect Gifford will go on to make us look stupid.
I'm shedding a tear for Crackers. He was our best creative player. Understand that he is a bit older, slower and knackered now, though. He is a big hole to plug. 

All the others I'm not bothered by, they were all generally shit. 

If we can keep Mingi, that would be good but I don't see it happening. We don't tend to win battles for signatures. 

If we are keeping Josh, he has to go out on loan and play a full season as #1. Not good enough for back up keeper just yet. 

I don't like Curtis. I'd prefer if we parted ways.
Is what it is. Josh will go on loan next season needs a full season to be judged.

Gifford and Bridgman will probably end up at Accrington Stanley they seem to pick Portsmouth talent up.
(13-05-2023, 04:52 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]Dumping injury prone players that have been average at best for two mediocre seasons running now is sensible business.

None of those released would get into a top 6 team and if we want to go up we need to improve the quality of the squad massively. Good stuff from Mousinho.

Towler, Swanson, Morrell, Pack, Lowery, Lane & Bishop + half a dozen quality signings has the makings of a very good team. Desperately need to get some pace in on the wings and up front.

My personal opinion is we can have a mid field 3 with both morrell and lowery in at the same time. Neither can shoot with any accuracy from out side the box and both are too short.

We need someone that can consistently work the keeper with shots from out side the box so defenders can’t always set up for cross into the box. That would then leave at least one on the ednge of the box ready to close down
None of those gone will be missed next season. A clear out is what most definitely was needed. Mingi has a contract on the table because we can get a fee for him and as another poster mentioned Oluwayemi will most likely be loaned out to a L2 or National League team to get a better level of experience.
All in all I’m feeling very positive about next season ( as long as it’s not all tippy tappy). PUP.
The comments about releasing the youngsters seemed to be saying that without a reserve/U23 type set up they will not get any games.
Seems once more to say that having a youth set up without such a linking team is pretty pointless, better to follow accrington and sign 21/22 year old cast offs.
Was Jacobs on big money? I would have kept him anyway if possible
(12-05-2023, 06:25 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I thought Thompson was decent and we really missed him when he was out. Hopefully his replacement will be equally physical and a bit taller, we need a bit more height against the northern teams.
Speaking of players who aren’t so tall, if we sign another proven striker and somehow retain the services of Bishop we may opt to play 2 upfront. If we played a 4-4-2 what would be the problem of playing Lowery and Morrell together in the middle of the park if we opted to play a passing game and keep the ball on the deck? Could it work or would it be a disaster against big burley but comparatively slower opposition midfields?
The reason most teams don't play 442 is that its been around since 66 and there are too many other formations that cancel/stifle it out.
Funny how often when struggling to break teams down we bought on Piggott for the last however minutes and suddenly looked so much more threatening.
Safety first, build from the back, defensive crap.
Better 2:2 draw then a nil nil bore fest.
(13-05-2023, 04:16 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Funny how often when struggling to break teams down we bought on Piggott for the last however minutes and suddenly looked so much more threatening.
Safety first, build from the back, defensive crap.
Better  2:2 draw then a nil nil bore fest.

Yea, but Pigott nearly always came on to play as the 10 in a 4231, not 442.
How ever they label it an extra striker gives some help and make it far more likely to have an extra body in the right place in the box. He was one of our best for a while at being in the box and putting at back across for a mate to tuck it away (or miss it!).
Far better than having yet another sideways or backwards move that end up with our keeper.
(12-05-2023, 06:05 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]I hope Mikey is going to be OK with Crackers leaving.

Well you all knoew my feelings on that matter. RH will need to get in someone better like Wing or Scowen from Wycombe but both will cost decent money & higher wages. 

Jacobs will be snapped up by another Div 1 club or Ipswich may add him to their championship squad. I'm sure he'll come back to bite us in the bum!
(13-05-2023, 02:04 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Was Jacobs on big money? I would have kept him anyway if possible

Probably on a Max of £5K per week more likey about £3k but just a guess.

Injury prone but still played 26 games I think & scored 5 goals not a bad 1 in 5 return from midfield & most as a sub.
Pages: 1 2 3