TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Hugging the Line
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If ever teams wanted a master class in how to stretch the opposition - and play wide players to their best advantage - then last nights master class by City against Real Madrid stands alone. 

Grealish especially, was so tight to the line that he could have been accused of leaving the field of play, without authorisation, on umpteen occasions !

A total exhibition of how to stretch defences , and play wide players to the best advantage. 

NB. ( I keep thinking abut a certain player , hope he's back sometime next term.)
(18-05-2023, 08:10 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]If ever teams wanted a master class in how to stretch the opposition - and play wide players to their best advantage - then last nights master class by City against Real Madrid stands alone. 

Grealish especially, was so tight to the line that he could have been accused of leaving the field of play, without authorisation, on umpteen occasions !

A total exhibition of how to stretch defences , and play wide players to the best advantage. 

NB. ( I keep thinking abut a certain player , hope he's back sometime next term.)

Steve Wigley?
Alan Rogers?
Gary Action obviously
Robbie Fowler in front of the Everton fans?
(18-05-2023, 08:10 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]If ever teams wanted a master class in how to stretch the opposition - and play wide players to their best advantage - then last nights master class by City against Real Madrid stands alone. 

FeeFirqSake It surely isn't Curtis - all he ever does is cut inside .............................
Our top goal scorer this century, is he not?
Kevin Harper?
(18-05-2023, 09:41 AM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]

FeeFirqSake It surely isn't Curtis - all he ever does is cut inside .............................

Yes Curtis may be many things but a winger is not one of them.
Nicky Jennings
Robbie Fowler hogged a line or two in his day…
Extermo, Ex Gaffer,

Agreed CURTIS does cut inside and if you watched last nights game you would have seen Grealish constantly performing that same move to brilliant effect.

And No, I am not/was not attempting to comparing a Maserati to a Ford Focus.

I was just suggesting that, even at our dastardly level, there were lessons to be learnt - - also a shout for Matt Taylor, a player who could hug the touchline, and cross from beneath the North stand, WITHOUT trying to beat the defender, or a hundred step-overs - or........, or !
Vince the prince.
and Callie!
...and Mick MELLOWS !
(18-05-2023, 03:32 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Extermo, Ex Gaffer,

Agreed CURTIS does cut inside and if you watched last nights game you would have seen Grealish constantly performing that same move to brilliant effect.

And No, I am not/was not attempting to comparing a Maserati to a Ford Focus.

I was just suggesting that, even at our dastardly level, there were lessons to be learnt - - also a shout for Matt Taylor, a player who could hug the touchline, and cross from beneath the North stand, WITHOUT trying to beat the defender, or a hundred step-overs - or........, or !

Comparing Curtis to Grealish is not a real the argument ffs. Grealish plays in a team of world class footballers and is more of an attacking midfielder than a winger. Curtis always comes inside and usually takes a shot on which has a low likelihood of actually advancing the shoreline, rather than passing it a better placed team mate.
(18-05-2023, 06:02 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]Vince the prince.

Vince was great but, strangely, wasn’t the best crosser of a ball.
(18-05-2023, 06:37 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]and Callie!

He was the most accurate crosser of a ball I’ve seen in a Pompey shirt, great player. 

He used to cross from deep and rarely went to the byline, he could put the ball on a sixpence. Oh for someone with half his crossing ability.
Chambo
(20-05-2023, 05:04 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Chambo

Does he still live locally? Maybe he'd be up for a game, or a bit of coaching.
(20-05-2023, 06:23 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-05-2023, 05:04 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Chambo

Does he still live locally? Maybe he'd be up for a game, or a bit of coaching.

Port Solent I think and he plays for the legends team.
(20-05-2023, 09:38 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-05-2023, 06:37 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]and Callie!

He was the most accurate crosser of a ball I’ve seen in a Pompey shirt, great player. 

He used to cross from deep and rarely went to the byline, he could put the ball on a sixpence. Oh for someone with half his crossing ability.

I agree with you on both Vince and Callie
I seem to recall Vince making more crossing opportunities but needed them wheras Callie created fewer but made the most of them. 

Vince chipped in with goals in big games too, especially if the opposition fans tried winding him up.
For my money, the best crosser we have is Ogilvie. Consistently puts the ball into dangerous areas, from the byline or from deep. If Curtis put his mind to forming a partnership with Ogilvie, we’d have far more success. In fact, if Curtis varied his play a bit more, he’d have far more success. Too predictable.
Agreed on Ogilvie
There was, as explained, no intention to compare the incomparable quality of Grealish and Curtis - just flagging up an example of brilliant wide play.

And, concerning CURTIS, if and when he returns this term -

It will be a final chance for him to advance his game and his career.
Pages: 1 2