TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Top Pompey Thunderbastards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Top three that come to mind:

Mendes - v city
Taylor - v Everton
G. Johnson - v Hull
Dillon. FA cup away at Blackburn.
David Norris
David Norris and
David Norris

His goal, worth a million.
The look on their faces, priceless.
Anderton in his breakthrough match against Leyton Orient, FA Cup 4th round?
(29-05-2023, 05:29 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]David Norris
David Norris and
David Norris

His goal, worth a million.
The look on their faces, priceless.

I always thought Maguire's goal in that same game was the better goal, just less dramatic.
Patrick Berger against Charlton has to be up there. And going back quite a while Billy Wilson in a night game cannot remember who against hit an absolute blinder also Martin Kuhl did the same but again cannot remember who against.
(29-05-2023, 12:38 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]Patrick Berger against Charlton has to be up there. And going back quite a while Billy Wilson in a night game cannot remember who against hit an absolute blinder also Martin Kuhl did the same but again cannot remember who against.

V Wimbledon Dec 1978. We won 4-2 and it sent us top of the Fourth Division. I was standing behind the goal directly behind the path of that screamer. Right in the top corner. Our end of Plough Lane went bananas. Billy didn't score many but that hit was absolute top drawer.
(29-05-2023, 01:01 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-05-2023, 12:38 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]Patrick Berger against Charlton has to be up there. And going back quite a while Billy Wilson in a night game cannot remember who against hit an absolute blinder also Martin Kuhl did the same but again cannot remember who against.

V Wimbledon Dec 1978. We won 4-2 and it sent us top of the Fourth Division. I was standing behind the goal directly behind the path of that screamer. Right in the top corner. Our end of Plough Lane went bananas. Billy didn't score many but that hit was absolute top drawer.

From what I remember Wilson’s goal was at Fratton. And I believe so was Martin Kuhl. But I maybe wrong.
George Ley hit  a few, but I couldn't tell you the games. 

Another Patrik Berger special was at FP, I think against Spurs, hitting a 30 yarder into the Milton End with the ball remaining a foot above the ground the whole way like an exocet.
(29-05-2023, 03:05 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]George Ley hit  a few, but I couldn't tell you the games. 

Another Patrik Berger special was at FP, I think against Spurs, hitting a 30 yarder into the Milton End with the ball remaining a foot above the ground the whole way like an exocet.

What a cultured player Ley was, one of the best fallbacks in my time supporting Pompey.
Noel Pamarot away vs Newcastle.
He started the demolition by hitting the sweetest 30 yard bullet from just left side into the top right of the goal.
The single hardest shot I have ever seen live.
Followed by Benjani putting us two up and John Utaka put us three up inside 8 mins.
We won the game 1-4
(29-05-2023, 03:05 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]George Ley hit  a few, but I couldn't tell you the games. 

If it's the game I remember Berger did it twice in that match.
Martin Kuhl hit the 4th against Boro at home. We all shouted 'shoot', he did and in it went from 30yards into the fratton end net
(29-05-2023, 05:20 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Martin Kuhl hit the 4th against Boro at home. We all shouted 'shoot', he did and in it went from 30yards into the fratton end net

My first Pompey game at Fratton Park. I was a young VIP nipper for the day. I sat in the changing room with the players before the game, I said to Kuhly, "Do us a favour Martin." He replied, "What's that son?" "Hit us a 30 yarder today". "I'll see what I can do." Came the reply.

We were 3-0 in the first half, Whitts, Beresford and Powell, if my memory serves me right. I turned to my uncle as we sat in the South upper, "kuhly promised me a 30-yarder today!" Sure enough in the 66th minute he pulled the trigger and let fly from 30 yards with a thunderbastard into the top corner of the Fratton End net. Cue limbs as I experienced one of my favourite moments following Pompey.
David Norris goal… what a goal
(30-05-2023, 06:23 AM)2_Kuhl Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-05-2023, 05:20 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Martin Kuhl hit the 4th against Boro at home. We all shouted 'shoot', he did and in it went from 30yards into the fratton end net

My first Pompey game at Fratton Park. I was a young VIP nipper for the day. I sat in the changing room with the players before the game, I said to Kuhly, "Do us a favour Martin." He replied, "What's that son?" "Hit us a 30 yarder today". "I'll see what I can do." Came the reply.

We were 3-0 in the first half, Whitts, Beresford and Powell, if my memory serves me right. I turned to my uncle as we sat in the South upper, "kuhly promised me a 30-yarder today!" Sure enough in the 66th minute he pulled the trigger and let fly from 30 yards with a thunderbastard into the top corner of the Fratton End net. Cue limbs as I experienced one of my favourite moments following Pompey.
Kuhl did something similar against Birmingham too. A 30 yard screamer (past Andy Gosney) to make it 4-0, although it was at the Milton End.

We cannot forget Bjorn Kristensen's rocket in the Ormondroyd offside game either.  That match being one of the reasons why I was quite happy to see Leicester go down. Not that I'm bitter...
Cancelled post
(30-05-2023, 02:36 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Just when the scummers thought they had us beat and were singing our own ‘shalalalalalala’ song deep into injury time David Norris absolutely leathered that volley into the back of the net and silenced the scummers at Saint Mary’s. it was something I will never forget listening on radio commentary from half a world away on night shift at work on my break outside of the ‘smoko’ room as to not upset anyone should we score. And score we did. I went absolutely mental and saw the goal the next day on YouTube. Was an absolutely epic goal to shut the promotion bound scummers up
Bobby Doyle with a sumptuous half volley from outside the box v Brighton in 1984. A goal down @ ht, we ran riot 2nd half & won 5-1. Doyle got our 2nd with that strike. Got a feeling Joe Corrigan was in goal for them.
(30-05-2023, 07:01 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]Bobby Doyle with a sumptuous half volley from outside the box v Brighton in 1984. A goal down @ ht, we ran riot 2nd half & won 5-1. Doyle got our 2nd with that strike. Got a feeling Joe Corrigan was in goal for them.

was it raining? If it was, it might have been Man City. I never got so wet selling programs but 5 goals against Corrigan made up for it.
back to the OP. Quashie must surely have hit a blinder somewhere, given the number he missed
A blinder you say!?
Every shot he made, was made blind!
(30-05-2023, 07:38 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-05-2023, 07:01 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]Bobby Doyle with a sumptuous half volley from outside the box v Brighton in 1984. A goal down @ ht, we ran riot 2nd half & won 5-1. Doyle got our 2nd with that strike. Got a feeling Joe Corrigan was in goal for them.

was it raining? If it was, it might have been Man City. I never got so wet selling programs but 5 goals against Corrigan made up for it.

Wasn't Man City Hammie, def. Brighton. 31/3/84. Hateley, Doyle, Biley, Webb & Dillon. 
Stunning turnaround. Think also TC scored for them.
(31-05-2023, 10:30 AM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]

Wasn't Man City Hammie, def. Brighton. 31/3/84. Hateley, Doyle, Biley, Webb & Dillon. 

What I would give now to have Doyle, Webb & Dillon in midfield and a front 2 off Hateley a Biley up front.
In all my 58 yrs of watching Pompey that was my favourite time even more so than the Premier years watching some of the great players we had then.
(31-05-2023, 11:35 AM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-05-2023, 10:30 AM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]

What I would give now to have Doyle, Webb & Dillon in midfield and a front 2 off Hateley a Biley up front.
In all my 58 yrs of watching Pompey that was my favourite time even more so than the Premier years watching some of the great players we had then.

Pity about the Div 4 defence.
Pages: 1 2 3