TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Gillingham
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Can't see any problem with having a reserve team competition like this for reserve teams to compete for.  It gives fringe players much needed game time in the absence of a proper reserve team structure.
That’s about all it’s good for.
Disagree Bluetag as does Mousinho (see his comments on official site). We have a biggish squad and they’ll all want to play. It gives a chance to see others play, try things out and help get players coming back from injury some valuable game time. It can also bring in money and the Wembley Sunderland game was a fantastic day out. We don’t get to play at Wembley as often as we did about 15 years ago when it was like our second home ;-) so a chance of that is very welcome.
(10-10-2023, 01:14 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Disagree Bluetag as does Mousinho (see his comments on official site). We have a biggish squad and they’ll all want to play. It gives a chance to see others play, try things out and help get players coming back from injury some valuable game time. It can also bring in money and the Wembley Sunderland game was a fantastic day out. We don’t get to play at Wembley as often as we did about 15 years ago when it was like our second home ;-) so a chance of that is very welcome.
Absolutely agree. The final v Sunderland was one of the greatest days of supporting Portsmouth in over 50 years. Anyone who was there won't have any regrets. Those who moan missed a great occasion.
Absolutely disagree. Of course JM is going to say it’s a useful tournament in public but I doubt very much he wants to see any squad players get injured / carded etc. As for seeing them play , I’m sure JM knows what his players can and cannot do by now. Yes it brings in a few Bob and the winners get to play at Wembley ( No one outside the two teams involved give a rats arse about it). If being at Wembley for the Piss Pot final features in your top Pompey experiences in the last 50 yrs then you’ve obviously missed a lot of games . It wouldn’t even make the top 30 in mine. It’s a Mickey Mouse trophy that’s only good for fringe and U21 players, it’s meaningless and a distraction.
(10-10-2023, 01:41 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely disagree. Of course JM is going to say it’s a useful tournament in public but I doubt very much he wants to see any squad players get injured / carded etc. As for seeing them play , I’m sure JM knows what his players can and cannot do by now. Yes it brings in a few Bob and the winners get to play at Wembley ( No one outside the two teams involved give a rats arse about it). If being at Wembley for the Piss Pot final features in your top Pompey experiences in the last 50 yrs then you’ve obviously missed a lot of games . It wouldn’t even make the top 30 in mine. It’s a Mickey Mouse trophy that’s only good for fringe and U21 players, it’s meaningless and a distraction.
At a guess I've watched over 1000 Pompey games either at FP, away games, on TV or on iFollow. Were you at Wembley for the Sunderland game? No, I thought not. But you're  fully entitled to your opinion as am I.
I’ve never said you’re not entitled to an opinion just amazed that you’d think the piss pot final would be one of your top moments in the last 50 yrs. You’re right I didn’t go to the final but I got the tickets I was entitled to and gave them to a neighbour to take his kids. I didn’t regret it and still don’t. The FA cup cup final and semi finals however , those I was never going to miss.
Winning games is a good habit to continue.

Not the most important cup competition.

But good for fringe players to put their case for a 1st team place forward.

Gillingham will be no push overs 3rd in Div2 & could be an entertaining game.
Plenty going tonight, all paying for the one game.
Its ok for those who can commit to a season ticket to right off mid week cup games. For some who would love to go every game, the midweek games are the only ones that they can get to.
And its not exactly easy to get a few seats together to take kids along to Saturday league games.
It'll be very easy tonight
Very surprised that Kamara and Sparkes are both starting given the amount of football both have played lately. I suppose there is a significant break after this game.
(10-10-2023, 05:50 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]Very surprised that Kamara and Sparkes are both starting given the amount of football both have played lately. I suppose there is a significant break after this game.

JM wants to give them more game time it looks.
Camara gets stick, but he is fit as a flea
nearly got a broken leg there, was that really a fair challenge?
The checkatrade trophy meant nothing, but winning it on the day meant everything
(10-10-2023, 07:09 PM)South Coast steve Wrote: [ -> ]The checkatrade trophy meant nothing, but winning it on the day meant everything

fans moan like hell when there are not enough tickets for the FA Cup final, then moan like hell when there are other chances to get to Wembley.
Whyte loses the ball too often and doesn't track back (Kamara does)
2 more goals in 5 mins. Yeaahhh
Nice finish by Stevenson, dd not know he could do that and then another form Yenge, and we did know that he can do that!
A very useful and productive runout for Yengi. Sparkes is really coming on. An absolute assist machine.
Great goal from Abu. Saydee is a real star
Towler now and it's an absolute towelling.
What a response! Total savage bastardry
Don't you just hate these meaningless cup games. I bet the 5000 who attended hated every minute. NOT.
I hope you enjoyed it.
Thank you, I did.
Pages: 1 2 3