TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Season quarter point review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Time to look back on what has been and look forward to what can be.

We have played most of the sides we would expect to be at the top come the end of the season and found nothing to worry us. On the contrary, they are the ones doing the worrying. 
We have had to dig deep into our squad resources to cover injuries and suspensions and found the squad good enough to cover these difficulties.
We have averaged more than 2 points a game which is the minimum usually required for promotion.
Looking forward....
If our target for the automatics is 90 points then we are almost a third of the way there with just a quarter of the season gone. Actually. the average required for the automatics is only 87 points and I've a feeling it could be even lower this season.
With injured players now coming back and suspensions served, I can see no reason why we cannot achieve around 60 points bu the end of the year. 
With a couple of recruits in the January window I think spring 2024 could finally be our time.
I keep seeing comments about the January window.

Can’t for the life of me work out what we need. No point in buying just for the sake of it.

Maybe a second keeper?
Agreed ... he has a difficult enough job keeping good players happy as it is without adding to them. 

Maybe loan cover for any injuries that we have at the time ?

And maybe recall HJW from Havant & Waterlooville, not sure that playing in a struggling side is the sort of experience he needs at the moment.
Buying can upset team balance, but at the same time it is a long season. Maybe 1 or 2 with fresh legs through the midfield/wing and a decent second keeper to be safe. Don't think we need anything more, although we were very concerned when we only had one fit striker a few weeks ago.
Very encouraging so far. We can win ugly, outplay promotion rivals for large chunks of games, we can pick up regular wins away from home and show the character to come from behind. The only thing missing for me is dismantling average/poor teams at home in the way that Bolton and Oxford have done at times.

(08-10-2023, 09:40 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I keep seeing comments about the January window.

Can’t for the life of me work out what we need. No point in buying just for the sake of it.

Maybe a second keeper?

I would say sign a few as cover but most if not all of our injured players should be back by January. Freshening things up a bit just feels like something a club should do in this situation bit like you say it is a struggle to think of signings that wouldn't just be for the sake of it. I think it is driven a but by the ghosts of January 2019 but back then there were glaring gaps that needed filling, it isn't really the case at the moment barring a bad injury to say Bishop (touching wood frantically as I type this).

I'm sure there will be signings but most likely young players with a view to the future. Maybe a bit of cover on the wings and another CM as we don't know how Scully and Lowery will recover.
I’d still like us to bring in a direct pacy winger that can cover all along the line. It’s something we don’t have at the moment
Possibility that Curtis could turn out to be an option. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I wouldn’t say no.
(08-10-2023, 10:55 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed ... he has a difficult enough job keeping good players happy as it is without adding to them. 

And maybe recall HJW from Havant & Waterlooville, not sure that playing in a struggling side is the sort of experience he needs at the moment.

When HJW went on loan ro H&W JM stated that he needed to "start dominating at that level". 

Tom Mehew who started for H & W  is similar in stature played an hour,  then HJW  came on - a few neat passes but looks lightweight in mens football - could be a late developer but this looks his level atm.

Also we have enough attacking midfielders without HJW  - it is up to him to force his way in to a starting spot at H&W & do as JM requires.
If Curtis is the same player he was before injuring his knee then he can definitely come back.
(08-10-2023, 09:40 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I keep seeing comments about the January window.

Maybe a second keeper?

Good shout.
 Maybe another CF? We rely upon Bishop so much, Yengi-we just dont know which way his career will go & Saydee doesn't strike me as being full of goals but has an amazing work ethic.
This squad not only looks capable of winning the title but comfortable holding their own in the Championship with perhaps 3 or 4 additions.

This isn't a smash and grab promotion run. This squad is ready
Would be great if we get some distance between ourselves and third place by the Jan transfer window - could really start to put together a Championship side that's all bedded in before the start of the following season.
(08-10-2023, 12:26 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2023, 10:55 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed ... he has a difficult enough job keeping good players happy as it is without adding to them. 

When HJW went on loan ro H&W JM stated that he needed to "start dominating at that level". 

Tom Mehew who started for H & W  is similar in stature played an hour,  then HJW  came on - a few neat passes but looks lightweight in mens football - could be a late developer but this looks his level atm.

Also we have enough attacking midfielders without HJW  - it is up to him to force his way in to a starting spot at H&W & do as JM requires.

He didn't look lightweight when he played against Accrington, in fact he dominated in the battle with Tommy Leigh. 
But I think a relegation battle at level 6 is unlikely to be something that will play to his strengths, he is unlikely to dominate in games when it's all about physicality and hoofball - he is too cultured a passer for that. I thought it was a mistake when he went back to Havant after not being a great success there the first time, unless being local means he can continue training at Pompey ? 

Personally I would recall him, unless Havant suddenly start winning and playing better football.
(08-10-2023, 09:37 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Time to look back on what has been and look forward to what can be.

We have played most of the sides we would expect to be at the top come the end of the season and found nothing to worry us. On the contrary, they are the ones doing the worrying. 
We have had to dig deep into our squad resources to cover injuries and suspensions and found the squad good enough to cover these difficulties.
We have averaged more than 2 points a game which is the minimum usually required for promotion.
Looking forward....
If our target for the automatics is 90 points then we are almost a third of the way there with just a quarter of the season gone. Actually. the average required for the automatics is only 87 points and I've a feeling it could be even lower this season.
With injured players now coming back and suspensions served, I can see no reason why we cannot achieve around 60 points bu the end of the year. 
With a couple of recruits in the January window I think spring 2024 could finally be our time.

Kenny got us 88 points and we finished 4th. So we should be aiming for at least 92 points if autos is the goal.
(08-10-2023, 12:06 PM)FiftyYearsOn Wrote: [ -> ]Possibility that Curtis could turn out to be an option. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I wouldn’t say no.

I'd love to see Ronan back to his best (fingers crossed)
Unless an affordable decent championship player comes up for sale or Robertson or Anjorin get recalled I can’t see what we’d need in January. Schofield should cover us until the end of season.
(08-10-2023, 03:07 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Unless  an affordable decent championship player comes up for sale or Robertson or Anjorin get recalled I can’t see what we’d need in January. Schofield should cover us until the end of season.

If you go through the first XI and look a who you think we'd be fooked without, it gives a good Idea of where to strengthen. It's a testament to our squad that there aren't many positions that jump out. 

Keeper - a luxury but it would be good to get another top keeper at this level.
Striker - we do have saydee and yengi but we don't really have another boss like bishop.
Midfield - seems to be the area where we get a lot of injuries and suspensions. Can't harm to have another player ready to step in here.
Re January
Depends a lot if any of the loans get recalled. And of course if we get any out for the season injuries.

Most teams that win things do strengthen in January. might also depend who we have that are out of contract in the summer, such as Raggett.
So far this year has been like a breath of fresh air. Yes, we are getting results but it goes deeper than that. There’s a positive vibe around the whole thing. Long may it continue.
What's Mou's contract? Any more of these week-on-week wins and he's going to be getting the glad eye from a lot of Championship clubs that aren't doing so well.
Even I'm beginning to feel optimistic...
I forgot, if we do need reinforcements we can add two loans if required.
If they match the three we have already, we would be ore than pleased.
(08-10-2023, 01:23 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

He didn't look lightweight when he played against Accrington, in fact he dominated in the battle with Tommy Leigh. 
But I think a relegation battle at level 6 is unlikely to be something that will play to his strengths, he is unlikely to dominate in games when it's all about physicality and hoofball - he is too cultured a passer for that. I thought it was a mistake when he went back to Havant after not being a great success there the first time, unless being local means he can continue training at Pompey ? 

Personally I would recall him, unless Havant suddenly start winning and playing better football.

I have been to watch H & W 4 times this season, one friendly & 3 league matches. HJW has never started a single match, has come on as a sub at half time in one, after 60 mins on one & was not used sub in one.

Yes they were playing hoofball but the new coach/manager wants to play football on the ground, as was evident yesterday. 

I understand that HJW is training at both PFC and 
H& W. If he looks lightweight & can't dominate in level 6 what hope is there for him in level 3 or even 2 next season.............you really need to get down to WLP & see the evidence Deep.
(08-10-2023, 04:14 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2023, 01:23 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

I have been to watch H & W 4 times this season, one friendly & 3 league matches. HJW has never started a single match, has come on as a sub at half time in one, after 60 mins on one & was not used sub in one.

Yes they were playing hoofball but the new coach/manager wants to play football on the ground, as was evident yesterday. 

I understand that HJW is training at both PFC and 
H& W. If he looks lightweight & can't dominate in level 6 what hope is there for him in level 3 or even 2 next season.............you really need to get down to WLP & see the evidence Deep.

I haven't been yet this season but usually take in two or three games there a season, but I don't think succeeding at level 6 is necessarily any indication of ability to succeed at level 3. Equally, failing at level 6 does not necessarily mean he will fail at the very different game at level 3. 

I prefer to judge him on what he has done for Pompey (and Wales) and I stick by my opinion that he is the most promising youngster we have had for a long time and he has the potential to go all the way. Doesn't mean he will of course, many very promising youngsters don't make the breakthrough either throught attitude or lack of opportunity, but he has the potential. 

And back to my original point I'm not convinced that playing (or even worse not playing)  in a relegation battle at H&W is likely to help him fulfil that potential. A struggling side is no place for a youngster to improve.
Speaking of promising youngsters, anyone know how Haji is doing? I'm guessing no news is good news?
Pages: 1 2