TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: FA cup first round draw
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So would you rather have the EFL trophy thing ( whatever it’s called now- the one we won a few yrs ago), or promotion.
Promotion for me especially as the chances of a L1 club actually winning the FA cup is nigh on impossible.
(29-10-2023, 06:07 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-10-2023, 03:31 PM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]Every fan wants to progresss in the FA Cup . This a tough draw but an interesting factor will be team selection.
However, the bigger prize is promotion and that will give us a significant dilemma.
When taking into account our league position, our current form, injuries and a proven tactical approach the team for tomorrow (Carlisle (h)) virtually picks itself but will Mousinho risk a full strength side for cup game of will he rotate to one degree or another. We'll wait and see I suppose. His approach will be interesting.

Promotion, or relegation, are only temporary. A cup win is permanent. 

Scummers have been up and down and no one but us notices. Everyone takes notice of trophies won though. 

Promotion is not the bigger prize!!!! It’s just something to appease our appetite for success now.

We are not going to win the FA Cup again for a while, so promotion is the bigger prize right now. Not sure where you are coming from? If you win League One I think you still get a trophy and a bus ride.
Obviously promotion but that doesn’t mean that the Checkatrade final against Sunderland wasn’t a fantastic day out
Ooh I do like a debate.

Why is promotion important? Would you sooner win a trophy or gain promotion?
(30-10-2023, 11:45 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Ooh I do like a debate.

Why is promotion important? Would you sooner win a trophy or gain promotion?

If you win the league you get a trophy.   In fact you get one if you win the play-offs too.
How sad is that?

And for second place…..?
Or to put it another way…

Second place, or a cup win. Which is preferable?
(31-10-2023, 11:34 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Or to put it another way…

or to put it another way ..

a 4/6 chance  or a 500/1 chance *,  which do you concentrate your resources on ? 

Not that they are mutually exclusive anyway.

* actual current odds with Paddy Power for winning promotion and winning the FA Cup.
It's nice to have a cup run so long as it doesn't become too successful and impact the league push.

Hopefully we'll be 20 points clear by Christmas and can give it a good go.

Getting past Cookies mob will not be easy. Should be a cracking game.
(31-10-2023, 02:28 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-10-2023, 11:34 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Or to put it another way…

or to put it another way ..

a 4/6 chance  or a 500/1 chance *,  which do you concentrate your resources on ? 

Not that they are mutually exclusive anyway.

* actual current odds with Paddy Power for winning promotion and winning the FA Cup.

I asked which is preferable.
Get to the third round, pick up half a million for the January window. Job done.
Score predictions everyone?
2-1 Pompey I think.
(02-11-2023, 11:19 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]2-1 Pompey I think.

3-0 Pompey
Chesterfield 1-3 Pompey

PC has built a very good side there at that level. They look set to re-enter the league at the end of this season.

With players like Naylor and Jacobs they are far too good for that level. However, it's a different type of club they are playing this weekend and they know it.

A club that will have a vociferous backing and a club that is used yo winning because that's the way JM has them 'dialled' in
(15-10-2023, 04:19 PM)lemlin1967 Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-10-2023, 03:46 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]looking online, they have never yet sold out their 15k capacity since moving grounds.
We might help them do that.
Looks like an away end and a section in the side stand too.

Not sure where you looked online. The ground holds just over 10500 so unlikely to get a 15000 sell out crowd ever.

With segregation and having to not use the first two rows for a while the capcity is realistically a smidge over 10k and that has sold out on 3 or 4 occasions.

In all honesty most of us don't care about the FA Cup this year at all. No sleep would have been lost if we had lost to Kettering and I don't see any world in which we play our full first team. Enjoy your day out but unlikely to be close to a sell out for a fixture like this.

Is less than 800 tickets left classed as "close to a sell out"?
(15-10-2023, 04:19 PM)lemlin1967 Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-10-2023, 03:46 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]looking online, they have never yet sold out their 15k capacity since moving grounds.
We might help them do that.
Looks like an away end and a section in the side stand too.

Not sure where you looked online. The ground holds just over 10500 so unlikely to get a 15000 sell out crowd ever.

With segregation and having to not use the first two rows for a while the capcity is realistically a smidge over 10k and that has sold out on 3 or 4 occasions.

In all honesty most of us don't care about the FA Cup this year at all. No sleep would have been lost if we had lost to Kettering and I don't see any world in which we play our full first team. Enjoy your day out but unlikely to be close to a sell out for a fixture like this.
Speak for yourself ref not caring about the cup this year.
Am I the only one wondering what Kettering have got to do with it ?
They played them in the last round, I presume
Alternative spelling?
This game is by No means a Gimme & No doubt JM will rest a couple of players like Bishop & Norris.

If they don't take the game seriously a shock result could be on the cards.

They have some quality players in Naylor, Jacobs & Grigg.

I'm sticking to my 2-2 prediction & a replay under the lights at Fratton Park.
Will Grigg is shite , he can’t even get in a very poor Northern Ireland squad. Jacobs ( I wondered when you would mention him) is an injury waiting to happen, I’ll be stunned if he lasts 90 mins. Naylor should be playing in L1, don’t know why he’s in the Conference unless he’s on big money.
Sounds like a 2-2 to Mikey but looks like a Pompey win to me
5-1 Pompey
(04-11-2023, 01:47 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]5-1 Pompey

A hat trick by Bish?
Pages: 1 2 3 4