TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Ogilvie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Soon to be back in the running.

Is there a place for him?
Might just be time for Sparkes to have a bit of a break, nice problem to have.
Ogilvie should be a shoe-in when fit.
I do think we are a better all round team with him in. But the assists and threat from corners should be an issue, expect we don't seem to make the most of that against the weaker teams.
When I've been watching from that side of the pitch, Ogilvie seems to improve the winger in front of him, Sparkes has a lot to learn in that respect.
That’s an interesting view, Hammie.

Maybe because the winger has less to do with such an assured full back in place.

I do think that Sparkes has come on leaps and bounds as a defender. He hasn’t been quite such a threat going forward but far more solid at the back.
(04-01-2024, 10:27 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]Ogilvie should be a shoe-in when fit.

Not sure about a shoe-in.

Sparks is our leading assist making this season.

Often he has been our only outlet in attack.
Ogilvie has a helluva cross on him as well
Ogilvie also has a happy knack of coming up with a goal or two. He would be my first choice. Sparkes would be a more than useful sub.
Depends which Ogilvie we get back.
The one who started last season looking a cert for player of the season.
Or the one that finished looking decidedly average and disinterested.
On his day he's one of the best left backs (and centre backs) at this level and has built up enough credit for me to be first choice.

But we'll clearly miss Sparkes' corners.
" Or the one that finished looking decidedly average and disinterested."

Can't say I've ever seen that version of Ogilvie. Any games in particular led you that conclusion ?
Bit harsh, Simon. Seems to always give his all
(05-01-2024, 10:52 AM)simonfkwit Wrote: [ -> ]Depends which Ogilvie we get back.
The one who started last season looking a cert for player of the season.
Or the one that finished looking decidedly average and disinterested.
On his day he's one of the best left backs (and centre backs) at this level and has built up enough credit for me to be first choice.

But we'll clearly miss Sparkes' corners.

Might simply be that he played every game and was completely knackered.
After all his hair fell out and that saps a hero's strength. 

I do think the players that have played every game this season do look tired at times.
(05-01-2024, 08:41 AM)Sharpe* Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-01-2024, 10:27 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]Ogilvie should be a shoe-in when fit.

Not sure about a shoe-in.

Sparks is our leading assist making this season.

Often he has been our only outlet in attack.

He stopped creating chances from open play about 5 games ago.... But still puts in a good corner. 

Defensively Ogilvie is much better, but in the attacking half of the pitch Sparks ability takes it for me..... 

Be good to have both options available.
the option of one defending and the other in front of him on the left wing still seems an interesting option for me. But one of the many strength in depth options we hoped to have .
(05-01-2024, 10:17 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]the option of one defending and the other in front of him on the left wing still seems an interesting option for me. But one of the many strength in depth options we hoped to have .

You would have to drop Lane then...... Someone who's crossing isn't that great and has no pace. But his timing of runs into the box and the ability to score goals means you are between a rock and a hard place!.
(05-01-2024, 10:35 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-01-2024, 10:17 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]the option of one defending and the other in front of him on the left wing still seems an interesting option for me. But one of the many strength in depth options we hoped to have .

You would have to drop Lane then...... Someone who's crossing isn't that great and has no pace. But his timing of runs into the box and the ability to score goals means you are between a rock and a hard place!.

I definitely would not try and drop Lane, but somewhere down the line I might well choose to give him a rest, possibly for a tough away game against a tea with a very good right winger who needs stopping.
Drop Kamara and put Lane back on the right. Lane is far more productive with a final ball.

And he’s ours!!!!!
(06-01-2024, 06:30 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Drop Kamara and put Lane back on the right. Lane is far more productive with a final ball.
And he’s ours!!!!!
Out of interest would you drop him if he was ours?.

To me, Kamara scares the opposition far more then anyone else in the team..... In some games this season our problem has been not giving him the ball enough. 

And if we have any real interest in keeping him beyond this season, surely being in the team every week will help.
I’ve argued the case against Kamara for a while now. I drew the comparison with Dale but that’s probably unfair because I think Abu has far greater potential than OD. His end product is just about the same though. He gets into great positions and then……

In a promotion chasing team, we need far more than potential. Lane has potential but he’s doing it now!
For me Dale always tried doing to much..... Everyone could see that he should of made the pass that was on a second before, he tried to take the next bloke on and failed.

Kamara on the other hand, I have never felt like he's missed a pass.... But if I have one criticism of him it's that I can't remember a good cross from deep or on the touchline. Also unlike Dale, Kamara looks like scoring every game.

I was shocked that Dale scored for Blackpool vs us this season..... A bit like Thompson.
It’s just that final pass, that shot. He’s superb up until that moment and then….

Thought Dale had a good game against us. He also seems to be fairly well regarded up there. His role is totally different mind.
He did have a good game. And maybe the new role has improved the way he has to play.

He always played for us, like he was someone in the park who's ball it was.
One of the thing we should be using Kamara for, is drawing the foul that stacks up yellow cards for the opposition. Vince is still local, he could teach him an awful lot in the way of getting "fouled" especially in the box. As regards fouls in the box, modern "wingers" just don't run at defenders in the box often enough. With a top class penalty taker, we need to get more of them!
Booked, for going over in the box. Sums his game up.
Given that Sparkes has struggled to be the provider, of late, it would be another reason to get Ogilvie back in the fold.
Pages: 1 2