TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Cheltenham - our Crewe moment?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Lost 0-1 at Fratton, players booed off the pitch, Cook fuming, dressing room fights (Burgess-Doyle). promotion written-off.
How did that season turn out again?
(07-01-2024, 07:59 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Lost 0-1 at Fratton, players booed off the pitch, Cook fuming, dressing room fights (Burgess-Doyle). promotion written-off.
How did that season turn out again?

Trouble is, we don’t have a Doyle and don’t have players who know where the goal is.

We need a couple of players with an eye for goal pronto or we can kiss goodbye to promotion.
Let’s not get carried away.

Crewe was a bloody awful performance, yesterday wasn’t. We created plenty of good opportunities but certain players didn’t capitalise on them. If we hadn’t conceded that first goal, the game would have been a very different proposition for Cheltenham. They defended very well but as an attacking force they were quite ineffective. Sercombe made the most of two howlers, by players who are usually very dependable.

No need to panic yet but Mousinho needs to get it sorted. This wobble (and every team has them) has to stop now.
A week into the transfer window and all very quiet. We desperately need some reinforcements before the orient game, if only to boost moral. I thought with our much praised new recruitment team we would have had someone in by now. We knew that we were losing Yengi and possibly Robertson so let's hope that there are players lined up and get them in asap
It's the character that concerns me. Where has that gone? We are going to need it in spades when we are chasing first spot
The next 6 games need a big points return,4 wins and 2 draws looks a minimum.
Anything less I feel will be the end of the chase for one of the top 2 places.
The last 5 games have been abysmal, something needs to change.
It is now looking like we desperately need a CB and a Midfielder. I also still say we need a proven goal scorer with pace and if possible another keeper. Still don’t understand Moushinos reluctance to bring in another striker. We are already short and if Yengi or Bishop get injured then we are well and truly up the swanny. Why would you risk that?
You’re not seriously going to get any of these recruits in the January window without proper cash investment.
The next couple of weeks will truly show how much ambition the owners have to get us out of this awful league. We are led to believe they will fully support any request for the right players. So it’s over to the recruitment team who you would hope have been working on this for a while now, knowing what we need.
Let’s hope the same mistakes of the last couple of seasons are not repeated and we don’t just settle for a couple of unproven loan signings.
Mousinho seems a lovely bloke, very steady. Maybe to steady. There has been a lack of any real alternative to his preferred system. Is that down to playing personnel or a lack of vision from the manager.
The ability to change the formation from 4231 to 442 or 352 or 433 during a game is key. We stick with 4231 and nothing changes apart from the personnel. Teams know exactly how to play us for 90+ minutes.
I need fucking diagrams drawn for me to be able to understand how the league leaders travel to relegation certainties, create hardly anything and get beat
(07-01-2024, 08:36 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Let’s not get carried away.

Crewe was a bloody awful performance, yesterday wasn’t. We created plenty of good opportunities but certain players didn’t capitalise on them. If we hadn’t conceded that first goal, the game would have been a very different proposition for Cheltenham. They defended very well but as an attacking force they were quite ineffective. Sercombe made the most of two howlers, by players who are usually very dependable.

No need to panic yet but Mousinho needs to get it sorted. This wobble (and every team has them) has to stop now.

"...certain players..."
I do hope you're not suggesting that any No.9s are included in that observation, C.
Chuckle.

Bishop will be cursing himself for that last minute miss (and did so) It was a gilt edged chance by his standards but…..it happens. I’ve got no issues with Bishop, he’s proved himself more than capable.
(07-01-2024, 09:39 AM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]It is now looking like we desperately need a CB and a Midfielder. I also still say we need a proven goal scorer with pace and if possible another keeper. Still don’t understand Moushinos reluctance to bring in another striker. We are already short and if Yengi or Bishop get injured then we are well and truly up the swanny. Why would you risk that?
You’re not seriously going to get any of these recruits in the January window without proper cash investment.
The next couple of weeks will truly show how much ambition the owners have to get us out of this awful league. We are led to believe they will fully support any request for the right players. So it’s over to the recruitment team who you would hope have been working on this for a while now, knowing what we need.
Let’s hope the same mistakes of the last couple of seasons are not repeated and we don’t just settle for a couple of unproven loan signings.

Why is it an ‘awful league’?
Cheltenham are probably in a false position.
On air, it was mentioned that they did not score a goal in their first 17 matches which is ridiculous.
But since taking on a new manager they have already overtake the likes of Shrewsbury as regards goal scoring.
Yesterday we did our usual trick of not creating many chances despite lots of opportunities to do so, they scored from about their only two shots.
Our much vaunted squad has done well til recently, given the number of first teamers out for extended periods at various time, but they now need some reinforcements.
Mouse has mentioned that as regards loans, that usually happens last minute as the clubs above us take time to bring in signings and decide which players they can let go out for the rest of the season.
Ditto as regards good permanent signings, clubs have to get a replacement in first.
Fortunately we only have one game a week for a while now, so have effectively more time to get players a little rested and back fit from injury. Also fewer games without Yengi about the place.
To me we could do with a little more experience in a key role or two to help the younger players of whom we have been relying on too many really.
and it is the best most competitive league in the country right now!
I think I heard that Cheltenham have actually matched Oxford since their change of manager. Mid table quality team now. Well done them and let’s hope they keep improving. Other sides around us won’t fancy playing a team who have taken 4 points from the league leaders.
That's because there are no quality teams who can pull away from the mediocrity
(07-01-2024, 11:10 AM)South Coast steve Wrote: [ -> ]That's because there are no quality teams who can pull away from the mediocrity

4 teams are looking to do that.
We have been well above but are running out of steam having been hard hit by some key injuries and a very big let down on the right wing.
Meaning that the squad players who were expected to back up the first team have had to step up, and very well they have done but need a break now.
Let's get this in perspective. There's a lot of doom and gloom about. I realise this is Pompey and we often flatter to deceive but we're still in a strong position. We're on a bad run, no doubt. We still have to play most of those near the top at home so can still be right up there despite our usual Christmas flop. We could've scored five yesterday. We created chance after chance. Whyte played ok, the criticism seems unfair to me. OK, Bish missed a couple but had no luck. Paddy Lane scores a great goal, it doesn't count. Shockers dried to dribble out and got done although it could easily have been given as a foul. It's not the end of the world. This is a good team with I believe a good manager. People are coming back (Lowery and Ogilvie although Robbo being out and Yengi away is a bummer). Let's keep the faith, win our home games, draw away, we'll be up. PUP
I know we were the masters of our own demise yesterday, and did things that, all season ,
I have been pleading for John M not to let them do.

However ...... the referee was truly shocking, and if anyone has doubts about it then please watch the X twitter VLOG by a Cheltenham supporter.

You will find a link on our PFC site today:- Mattsms_yt

EFL supporters need better than that .
Feel pretty low about our push now.

Is obvious that we need to improve areas.

If we don't then I think we'll be around 4th with a push.

Bit def up like everyone else.

Sounds simple but we need to win games.
Bloody hell, we’re still top, not 6th.
Yet we are playing like we are 10th. Needs to stop fast.
Taking the game in isolation, rather than part of that Christmas dip - we just had an unlucky day. 

We were good in the first and well on top, then came out fast in the second half and went ahead but 5 bad minutes ruined our day. 

It's annoying but just a bad day, nothing else. We were impressive against a good play-off side just a few days earlier, and won, so not the end of the world.
(07-01-2024, 08:36 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Let’s not get carried away.

I hear what you say but you're making a worrying observation.
It would be difficult to argue that up until the middle of last month we had over acheived this season and, in part, that was due to quite a lot of luck at times.
Yesterday was one of those rare games where we played well and came away with nothing. In short, we were unlucky and that's the last thing we need at this moment in time!!
Pages: 1 2