TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: 4231 Formation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Please please please stop playing 4231. At least change to 442 though Christ knows who the second striker will be. Absolute shit show today and Pompey deservedly getting all the flak.
Agreed.

Since he took Yengi off and went back to Bishop up front alone we have been shit.

We've been sussed and need to change it up.
Slow sideways and backwards.
That sounds very very familiar.
Identikit modern FA clones.
I'm sure he will be looking through his uefa coaching badge manual, scratching his head and trying to find the formation page,seems to me that only one formation and one way of playing exists.
We’ve seen it all too often, unfortunately. Managers unwilling to change - and it often leads to their downfall. Problem is, right now, we have no second striker. Saydee, nor Kamara (who apparently had a good strike ratio as a youngster) can’t hit a cows arse with a banjo.
(13-01-2024, 08:08 PM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure he will be looking through his uefa coaching badge manual, scratching his head and trying to find the formation page,seems to me that only one formation and one way of playing exists.

How can you say that after the one game when he did totally change the formation at halftime?
Change the names and exactly the same things were being said about the side this time last year.
(13-01-2024, 08:53 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]We’ve seen it all too often, unfortunately. Managers unwilling to change - and it often leads to their downfall. Problem is, right now, we have no second striker. Saydee, nor Kamara (who apparently had a good strike ratio as a youngster) can’t hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Maybe so but just Saydee’s strength alone could cause problems for opposing centre halves and that in turn could create chances for us by bringing our other attackers and midfielders into the game more in a dangerous part of the pitch. It’s worth a try surely
Saydee is no more than a final 20 mins to cause a bit of bother in the box player.
He’s absolutely dire as a striker.
Even when the formation stays the same, there is usually a degree of flexibility within a formation in this day and age. We have none of that at the moment. It all looks very one dimensional. Danny Cowley's 442 was being maligned last season and I'm far from convinced that is the way forward.
Saydee is being played out of position and is also very young, even though he looks huge. If he was played as a second striker and failed then fair enough. Might just give Bishop some help against centre halfs allowed to push him all over the ptich on his own.
(13-01-2024, 09:20 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-01-2024, 08:08 PM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure he will be looking through his uefa coaching badge manual, scratching his head and trying to find the formation page,seems to me that only one formation and one way of playing exists.

How can you say that after the one game when he did totally change the formation at halftime?
Not sure there was a need to change formation at half time.

We should have been going in 2-2 if Bishop had been fully motivated to score his penalty and flick header opportunity.

Orient played well. But we also played well for the first 30 minutes of the first half. They had a goal which we could have stopped by playing a better offside trap. They had two from corners down our left flank which have nothing to do with open play formations. So why completely change formation in the second half? 

Mousinho and Hughes have stated they recruit based on 4-3-2-1, hence getting rid of Hume. So stay with that formation.

The second half was terrible. Lowery ran about a bit but didn't affect anything. Was it 3-2-2-3 formation? What ever it was, please don't try that again. imo stay with 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-3-2 at home.
I largely agree with all that although I strongly disagree with your assessment of Lowery’s performance. We didn’t carry much of a threat until he came on. If he’d had someone other than Josh Martin to assist him, we might have got somewhere.
He did a couple of fantastic runs and created more than one chance. Also put in a couple of good crosses, more than Lane and Kamara together all match. He plays with purpose and considering it was his second outing of the season, he looked very sharp. Just pray he keeps fit as gives us good attacking options which have been so lacking recently.
(13-01-2024, 09:59 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Saydee is no more than a final 20 mins to cause a bit of bother in the box player.

Well it’s time for the owner to shell out for a new striker then isn’t it? Either that or it’s time to fly another plane with a banner behind it carrying words of discontent again. That always seems to do the trick
(14-01-2024, 10:11 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-01-2024, 09:59 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Saydee is no more than a final 20 mins to cause a bit of bother in the box player.

Well it’s time for the owner to shell out for a new striker then isn’t it? Either that or it’s time to fly another plane with a banner behind it carrying words of discontent again. That always seems to do the trick

The cheaper option.
(14-01-2024, 12:57 AM)HotToddy Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-01-2024, 09:20 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Not sure there was a need to change formation at half time.

We should have been going in 2-2 if Bishop had been fully motivated to score his penalty and flick header opportunity.

Orient played well. But we also played well for the first 30 minutes of the first half. They had a goal which we could have stopped by playing a better offside trap. They had two from corners down our left flank which have nothing to do with open play formations. So why completely change formation in the second half? 

Mousinho and Hughes have stated they recruit based on 4-3-2-1, hence getting rid of Hume. So stay with that formation.

The second half was terrible. Lowery ran about a bit but didn't affect anything. Was it 3-2-2-3 formation? What ever it was, please don't try that again. imo stay with 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-3-2 at home.

Lowery didn’t ’run about a bit’ he was the only bright spot of a terrible second half.

All this talk of formations is bollox really, the problem we have is not formations, it is that we have no energy up front. We had no shots on target in the second half, at home ffs.

The Orient forwards looked quicker, stronger and sharper all match. They looked dangerous when attacking, we did not.

Bishop looks like he’s feeling sorry for himself and I couldn’t resist cupping my ear, along with many others, when he missed that penalty in pathetic fashion. 

I think the penalty summed up the performance, limp and lacking any conviction.

We need a couple of forwards asap or we are fucked.
Yes Lowery looked decent decentish. I know Orient probably backed off a bit second half but he also isn't anything like match fit yet either so that is promising at least. So even if we don't manage to sign another number 10 ('please please let us sign another number 10) there is still a little glimmer of hope there.
Tom lowery is a myth,has done absolutely nothing since he has been here but get this adulation from somewhere...can't say pompey fans aren't easily pleased
(14-01-2024, 11:10 AM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]Tom lowery is a myth,has done absolutely nothing since he has been here but get this adulation from somewhere...can't say pompey fans aren't easily pleased

It is provably false to say he has done nothing. He was absolutely excellent at the start of last season. He's shown nothing like that since I'll admit and has obviously spent far too much time injured but there's a player there.
(14-01-2024, 11:10 AM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]Tom lowery is a myth,has done absolutely nothing since he has been here but get this adulation from somewhere...can't say pompey fans aren't easily pleased

Well those that actually watch the football know that he is an excellent player and most certainly not a myth.

Injury prone yes, a myth no.
Lowery looked decent yesterday.

For us its all about building a team that can win the playoffs now. We will fall out the top 2 very shortly.

With the momentum and the games in hand the others have, and with our low confidence and poor form, we can't finish top 2. 

I wouldn't be confident in the playoffs whatsoever, but it's our only shot at going up and we have to do welI in them sooner or later. 

We can win the playoffs with some quality signings and momentum.

If we don't add real quality to the squad, we won't be good enough to win them
(13-01-2024, 08:53 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]We’ve seen it all too often, unfortunately. Managers unwilling to change - and it often leads to their downfall. Problem is, right now, we have no second striker. Saydee, nor Kamara (who apparently had a good strike ratio as a youngster) can’t hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Not sure what Saydee is or why we bought him. He has no pace and has to take at least one touch before thinking of taking a shot. Clearly the Mgt team have decided he is to be a number 10 but I just can not see it. We looked better with Lowery there.
(14-01-2024, 11:17 AM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]

It is provably false to say he has done nothing. He was absolutely excellent at the start of last season. He's shown nothing like that since I'll admit and has obviously spent far too much time injured but there's a player there.

Mixed feelings on Lowery. He is a bit too lightweight for me and has been injured too much, but he has ability and right now, he is probably the best option as a number 10. However, is playing him enough to secure promotion? Probably not. We need more firepower.
It doesn’t matter what formation a team uses , it’s all about scoring goals, which has been our problem for a while . We only have two regular scorers in Lane and Bishop. Relying on defenders weighing in with a few now and again should be a bonus not one of main goalscoring opportunities.
IMO we need a striker, a 10, a left winger and a CB . Why the flying fvck he signed the Norwich muppet ( not Kamara - who should just be a squad player IMO) until the end of the season is beyond me
Pages: 1 2 3