TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Slow Transfer Window, NOT!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So it seems that despite the apparent Slow Transfer Window most of our promotion rivals have managed to bring in some great recruits:

Ladapo to Charlton along with another striker Ikupeazu Ufrom Port Vale (6 signings so far)
Blackett-Taylor to Derby (massive signing)
Will Goodwin to Oxford (4 in Total so far)
Nial Innes Bolton bound (Great Signing)

I can’t believe none of the above weren’t targets for us too. Looking like once again we will miss the boat in January.
Stand by for unproven Premiership/Championship hopefuls available for a bit of first team football. Dane Scarlett anybody?

I really would be happy to eat humble pie but it just like the last three seasons all over again. You can’t expect to be promoted on the cheap and it’s looking increasingly likely we are going to be reliant on young loanees again.

12 days to go!?
All those players you mentioned would improve us greatly.

I am concerned.

A couple of weeks left yet so let's see what the next 2 weeks bring.
You can't judge the signings until they've played.
(19-01-2024, 07:51 PM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]So it seems that despite the apparent Slow Transfer Window most of our promotion rivals have managed to bring in some great recruits:

Ladapo to Charlton along with another striker Ikupeazu Ufrom Port Vale (6 signings so far)
Blackett-Taylor to Derby (massive signing)
Will Goodwin to Oxford (4 in Total so far)
Nial Innes Bolton bound (Great Signing)

I can’t believe none of the above weren’t targets for us too. Looking like once again we will miss the boat in January.
Stand by for unproven Premiership/Championship hopefuls available for a bit of first team football. Dane Scarlett anybody?

I really would be happy to eat humble pie but it just like the last three seasons all over again. You can’t expect to be promoted on the cheap and it’s looking increasingly likely we are going to be reliant on young loanees again.

12 days to go!?

Blackett-Taylor has gone nowhere yet.
Fee agreed, having a medical over weekend, personal terms apparently a formality.
I would of course be very impressed if just for once we beat one of our rival to a marquee signing. Assuming of course we are ambitious enough to be after him in the first place. Which some how I doubt.
11 days and 2 hours to go?
never take a medical of an experienced player as a formality, they often seem to find some weakness or scarring on the knee that could blow up
Ladappo is a player I really like. Charlton have done well to get him. 

After this summers fantastic recruitment I'm giving the team the benefit of the doubt. If this was a year ago I would be hopping up and down saying its a shit show.
Yeah! I get what you’re saying and yes the recruitment team did fantastic over the summer, but I can’t help feeling more than a bit concerned about our lack of recruitment when all our rivals are getting it done. If we were holding on for Edmondson for CB, I think it’s looking pretty clear that ship has sailed and we really should be looking to plan B if we have one. Also most of the experienced attacking targets you would imagine might be within our reach look to be sewn up now.

After the recent run of poor form I guess we all need something positive. Let’s hope we will be celebrating 3 points today at the final whistle. I won’t hold my breath though.
Think Azar Karadis and Ivica Mornar been seen at Gunwharf !!!!
Looks like Ipswich are keeping Edmundson as he’s hit form again - shame.
Carlton seem to be splashing a lot of cash, so far to pretty moderate results.
(20-01-2024, 12:12 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Ladappo is a player I really like. Charlton have done well to get him. 

After this summers fantastic recruitment I'm giving the team the benefit of the doubt. If this was a year ago I would be hopping up and down saying its a shit show.

"Fantastic" ? Hmmmm.....let's have a look. Hit or miss?
Whyte - Miss
Scully - Miss
Schofield - Miss
Norris - okay
Poole - Hit
Sparkes - Hit up to December
Lane - Hit
Stevenson - Miss
Shaunessy - Hit
Saydee - Miss
Yengi - okay
Devlin - Miss
Anjorin - okay
Robertson - Hit
Kamara - okay

Sort of a mixed bag really. Nothing to shout home about.
Compare that to Cowley's previous year when we got Bishop, Morrell and Pack. 
Of course, some may come good or return to form but it's not looking as rosy as we thought.
I wouldn’t call Devlin a miss , he’s done nothing wrong when he’s played. Same as Stevenson. Scully is a hard one to call as we’ve hardly seen him play. I would only put Schofield , Saydee and Whyte in the miss list.
Devlin offers nothing. Looks busy but delivers SFA. Stevenson is so poor the manager would rather play Saydee ahead of him! Scully hasn't played much but this is all based on what we have have seen so far...

And just remembered.....Lowery was one of Cowley's signings too. Not bad.
(20-01-2024, 01:08 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-01-2024, 12:12 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Ladappo is a player I really like. Charlton have done well to get him. 

"Fantastic" ? Hmmmm.....let's have a look. Hit or miss?
Whyte - Miss
Scully - Miss
Schofield - Miss
Norris - okay
Poole - Hit
Sparkes - Hit up to December
Lane - Hit
Stevenson - Miss
Shaunessy - Hit
Saydee - Miss
Yengi - okay
Devlin - Miss
Anjorin - okay
Robertson - Hit
Kamara - okay

Sort of a mixed bag really. Nothing to shout home about.
Compare that to Cowley's previous year when we got Bishop, Morrell and Pack. 
Of course, some may come good or return to form but it's not looking as rosy as we thought.

Devlin a miss ???  Are you mad ? He has developed far quicker than expected and now fully deserves to be in the first team squad, and usually does a very good job when he comes on.  

And I think you need a fourth category of 'not yet proven', because to write Scully off as a miss when he has been injured for so long is harsh. He looked at least 'okay' before his injury and could yet prove a vaulable signing.
Developed how? He can't pass, can't hold, can't offer options other than run a lot. Have you actually even seen him play? Tell me what he has contributed, I'll be fascinated to find out what has impressed you.
Scored an excellent goal against Reading
We will end up with youngsters on loan from premier league or championship clubs
(20-01-2024, 02:13 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Developed how? He can't pass, can't hold, can't offer options other than run a lot. Have you actually even seen him play? Tell me what he has contributed, I'll be fascinated to find out what has impressed you.

I can honestly say that every time I've seen Devlin he has impressed me with his energy,  commitment and versatility and he never looks overawed at being on the pitch despite his youth and inexperience.  He is an intelligent player with a good football brain for his age and his positioning is spot on no matter which role he is beng asked to play.  IMO he has he potential to become Mousinho's best signing in a couple of years time. 

And there is nothing wrong with his passing.

More international recogniton is a certainty if he continues the way he is going.
(20-01-2024, 02:13 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Developed how? He can't pass, can't hold, can't offer options other than run a lot. Have you actually even seen him play? Tell me what he has contributed, I'll be fascinated to find out what has impressed you.

Gerryatric - TD arrived in the summer from Northern Ireland having  played around 80 games in their part-time  league (probably equivalent of National League North/South. 

At 19 yrs old He  has travelled  to a different country settled in & is now training & playing as a full time professional !!

You need to give him at least two seasons before throwing wild accusations.

No wonder players get  p!ssed off when they read comments like yours - support these young players !!
and he played very well today in yet another new role
(20-01-2024, 08:11 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]

Gerryatric - TD arrived in the summer from Northern Ireland having  played around 80 games in their part-time  league (probably equivalent of National League North/South. 

At 19 yrs old He  has travelled  to a different country settled in & is now training & playing as a full time professional !!

No wonder players get  p!ssed off when they read comments like yours - support these young players !!

It's just an opinion based on XX years of watching football and XXX minutes of watching him at games and via iFollow - his age etc don't come into it.
Funnily enough today is the first time I've seen anything in him....but crucially in a completely different position. So maybe not the lad's fault but the way he has being played.
PS: it's 'geriatric'. Well done on recognising the pun!
(20-01-2024, 09:15 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-01-2024, 08:11 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]

It's just an opinion based on XX years of watching football and XXX minutes of watching him at games and via iFollow - his age etc don't come into it.
Funnily enough today is the first time I've seen anything in him....but crucially in a completely different position. So maybe not the lad's fault but the way he has being played.
PS: it's 'geriatric'. Well done on recognising the pun!

So you're basing your opinion  on  around 7 appearances ( you haven't learnt much in xx yrs of watching football moosh (Hmm... another ifollow expert )   

Of course his tender years come in to it as it does with Robertson & Kamara - he isn't a Gavin Whyte of  xxx league appearances & xxxxx minutes 

p s. I'll stick with Gerryatric in your case, same difference  - "an old person who is receiving special care"
I think Devlin will end up one of our long term favourite players. As long as we don't play him as defensive mid with a keeper giving him passes while he is being closed down from behind. Probably the game the made Mouse' mind up to get rid of Schofield.
I think Scully looked very promising until he got injured,obviously not fully fit yet as he has hardly been back on the pitch.
Whyte has been VERY disappointing.
Saydee is always played out of position, actually being a striker and very young, even though he looks so big.
I thought Stevenson looked a decent defensive mid in the few minutes he has had, wondering why we signed him as he is clearly not fancied by the manager. Should let him go in this window.
Saydee is not a miss, Yengi is not a miss and neither is Kamara, who happens to be our only attacking threat at the moment. 

It was fantastic recruitment because they signed a shit load of good players who got us to the top of the league, when we were all expecting a battle for thr playoffs. It was very impressive what they achieved. 

The boys now have to finish the job and we do need to strengthen. Let's not fuck up *another* Jan window please.
Pages: 1 2