TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The championship
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When we get there  (and it looks good for this season), do we want to push on and get to the Premier League?

Talking to a scummer the other day and he grunted that there are more than a few of them who don’t actually relish going back up. They’re enjoying being able to compete for a change.

I gave up my season ticket the year Redknapp took us up. I could see what was coming and while I enjoyed the football we played (on tv), I got just as pissed off with never knowing which day of the week we’d be playing on, as I thought I would be.
(08-02-2024, 06:39 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]When we get there  (and it looks good for this season), do we want to push on and get to the Premier League?

Talking to a scummer the other day and he grunted that there are more than a few of them who don’t actually relish going back up. They’re enjoying being able to compete for a change.

I gave up my season ticket the year Redknapp took us up. I could see what was coming and while I enjoyed the football we played (on tv), I got just as pissed off with never knowing which day of the week we’d be playing on, as I thought I would be.
A lot of sympathy with those views. I think strategy should be to (1) survive first season, (2) consolidate 2nd/3rd season, (3) see what's happening in the Prem, for example is the bubble likely to finally burst. Staying solvent is paramount. Never again what happened before.
(08-02-2024, 06:39 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]When we get there  (and it looks good for this season), do we want to push on and get to the Premier League?

There were things that I hated about the premier league e.g. ticket prices, kick-off times, player wages, not really being able to compete for the league etc., but there is no denying being in the top league and winning trophies and having some great players in a blue shirt was still a highlight of my Pompey supporting life. 

It went wrong because we had dodgy owners after dodgy owners. If we went up under the Eisners that would not be a worry so I think on balance I would rather compete for promotion from the championship than accept it as the limit of our ambition and have nothing but surviving relegation to look forward to as a target each season. 

And as for not being able to compete, that obviously applies to the scummers cos they neveer win anything, but we won an FA Cup (and an Asia Cup Smile ) and who knows we could even aspire to be the next Leicester - no-one told them about not being allowed to compete.
Get to the Championship and then frankly wait it out. Sooner rather than later everyone other than us would have been recently relegated or ruined and by default we will be the most financially sound team and get a promotion.

If we are in the top two leagues and playing to win every week I'm happy.
Luton are setting a good example. Not spent a lot and still competing, and occasionally beating, more seasoned clubs.
If we don't want to eventually get to the Premier League, what's the point of even getting out of this one? In our past we have won the top honours and we can again one day, The premier league provides so much money that we could continue to develop a top class academy, enhance or even move to a new stadium and watch top grade football. Surely that's what we want in the long term.
As for some scummers saying they would rather stay in the Championship, well they never have shown much ambition have they?
(08-02-2024, 11:51 PM)wjd Wrote: [ -> ]If we don't want to eventually get to the Premier League, what's the point of even getting out of this one? In our past we have won  the top honours and we can again one day, The premier league provides so much money that we could continue to develop a top class academy, enhance or even move to a new stadium and watch top grade football. Surely that's what we want in the long term.
As for some scummers saying they would rather stay in the Championship, well they never have shown much ambition have they?

They will just go back to losing most games again, as they have for years. Better to become really established in the Championship initially. We had a solid Premier League club 15 years ago, before we were asset stripped by dodgy owners. All our better players were sold and replaced with duds.
Would most fans be happy just being ‘established ‘ in the championship though? Would we see the usual ’Eisners have no ambition’ and the usual demands to spend their money if we sit on the fringe of a playoff position? Is a comfortable mid table position, year after year, going to be acceptable?

Personally, I’m loving this season and I’m drinking in the experience to the full because I can quite easily see that it could be the last real success we have for sometime. As long as we can compete in the Championship, I’ll be happy. The occasional success against the top sides will do for me……for a while.!
The poncey, choreographed goal celebrations would ruin the Prem for me.
Plus the hike in ST prices,
....the mashup of game times,
....the awful away shirts,
....the mercenary players who profess love for the club - then leave
(09-02-2024, 07:30 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Would most fans be happy just being ‘established ‘ in the championship though? Would we see the usual  ’Eisners have no ambition’  and the usual demands to spend their money if we sit on the fringe of a playoff position? Is a comfortable mid table position, year after year, going to be acceptable?

Personally, I’m loving this season and I’m drinking in the experience to the full because I can quite easily see that it could be the last real success we have for sometime. As long as we can compete in the Championship, I’ll be happy. The occasional success against the top sides will do for me……for a while.!

agreed.
I enjoyed most of the games in Div 2  (Championship) those days, and one didn't have to cut off your arm or leg to get in  Rolleyes Big Grin
A friend supports Palace - struggling in Prem recently and playing far from attractive or entertaining football.

Palace v Chelsea moved to next Monday night at a run down Selhurst Park - main stand £65 a ticket!
(09-02-2024, 07:30 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Would most fans be happy just being ‘established ‘ in the championship though? Would we see the usual  ’Eisners have no ambition’  and the usual demands to spend their money if we sit on the fringe of a playoff position? Is a comfortable mid table position, year after year, going to be acceptable?

If we get up this season, I suspect we shall discover just how tough a league the second division is now to become established. The parachute payments certainly distort things, as do the wage levels of players. 

I'm happy with the approach to players and I'm not going to jabber on about signing this, that or the other expensive player, to get us over the hump.

But to pick up on your point, the one area where I think the Eisner's have "lacked ambition" is a failure to do anything really substantial to the ground. By substantial I mean to put us on a level playing field stadium-wise (and I can scarcely believe that I'm writing this) with the scummers and Brighton FFS! Titivating the Milton is all very nice, but it won't move the dial on the club's finances. 

This reticence to really invest in infrastructure is curious (notwithstanding all the kerfuffle about the rail bridge which the cynic may suggest is a displacement activity to avoid actually cracking on), because they certainly could find & raise the money, and spending on infrastructure is much more likely to give an owner a real return in the medium and long term than gambling on any particular player(s).
scummers ground is pretty much a flat pack plus it's in ...ermm, Southampton. Brighton had to go a fair way out of town to site a new stadium, although it is nice. Tornante obviously value the historic aspects of Fratton Park and are taking care to renovate and increase capacity whilst retaining character. The expanded North and Fratton Stands can't be far down the line then we should have a 25k stadium with character and on the footprint of PFC down the years.
I'm happy with the Eisners sustainable approach despite opposing their original purchase of the club.
Apparently our cheapest adult price season ticket this year is £464. Compared to the Championship that would put us between third and fourth "most expensive" cheapest season ticket. The most highest is Middlesbrough at £590 (their cheapest) which we could easily end up paying if we get promoted.
That is apart from all the seniors on this forum.
(09-02-2024, 02:44 PM)Milkins Wrote: [ -> ]

If we get up this season, I suspect we shall discover just how tough a league the second division is now to become established. The parachute payments certainly distort things, as do the wage levels of players. 

I'm happy with the approach to players and I'm not going to jabber on about signing this, that or the other expensive player, to get us over the hump.

But to pick up on your point, the one area where I think the Eisner's have "lacked ambition" is a failure to do anything really substantial to the ground. By substantial I mean to put us on a level playing field stadium-wise (and I can scarcely believe that I'm writing this) with the scummers and Brighton FFS! Titivating the Milton is all very nice, but it won't move the dial on the club's finances. 

This reticence to really invest in infrastructure is curious (notwithstanding all the kerfuffle about the rail bridge which the cynic may suggest is a displacement activity to avoid actually cracking on), because they certainly could find & raise the money, and spending on infrastructure is much more likely to give an owner a real return in the medium and long term than gambling on any particular player(s).
it's always easy to spend money when it's not your own. Don't blame the Eisner's,blame the vast majority of owners since the Deacons.
(09-02-2024, 04:23 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2024, 02:44 PM)Milkins Wrote: [ -> ]

it's always easy to spend money when it's not your own. Don't blame the Eisner's,blame the vast majority of owners since the Deacons.
Plus Brighton's owners at the time deliberately made them homeless by selling the Goldstone Ground and forcing the councils hand for a land to build a new stadium whilst they where allowed to play at a local athletic ground and groundshare until the flatpack was completed.
The last time I saw this kind of gung ho thread - talking about promotion as a given or record points etc - we went into a December free-fall. 
Some never learn their lesson about tempting fate.
Load of superstition. No such thing as fate. If there was, it wouldn’t matter what people said or did.

If we’re good enough, we’ll do it.

I paid double for one season, missed loads of games thanks to Sky and then opted out.

Happy to play to win in the Champ, spend a season or two building more infrastructure, see anyone who wants to go away games be able to get tickets for most games. Hopefully also be strong enough to play to win in cup games too. Solid Champ and a decent cup run would be fun for a year or three.
Isn't this all a bit premature? There's along way to go yet & other cliubs have games in hand on us particularly Bolton. We've lost 5 key players to end of season injuries. We all want to gain promotion hopefully by the autos but there's No guarantee. Let's keep backing the team & hope they continue a winning run.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the disaster that is VAR.
Imagine never being able to celebrate a goal again
(09-02-2024, 10:11 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't this all a bit premature? There's along way to go yet & other cliubs have games in hand on us particularly Bolton. We've lost 5 key players to end of season injuries. We all want to gain promotion hopefully by the autos but there's No guarantee. Let's keep backing the team & hope they continue a winning run.

VERY premature, Mikey. Been watching football long enough to know how often pride comes before a fall.
Sheffield Wednesday got 96 points in their playoff winning season and look at them now. Struggling. They were a miles better league 1 team than we are. 

We'd need a big investment in the squad to stay up in the championship. 

We'd be lucky to get 25 points in the championship with our squad even when fully fit.
If people actual read things properly, no-one is being gung-ho. To repeat the very first sentence…..

‘When we get there (and it’s looking good for this season)’

To translate…..When we get promotion (and we will get there and we have cause for optimism this season).

The thread is not about this season, necessarily!
(10-02-2024, 07:44 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]If people actual read things properly, no-one is being gung-ho. To repeat the very first sentence…..

‘When we get there (and it’s looking good for this season)’

To translate…..When we get promotion (and we will get there and we have cause for optimism this season).

The thread is not about this season, necessarily!

Hmmmmm...........were you a lawyer at some stage, C?   Big Grin
Pages: 1 2