TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Colby Bishop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Looking at the stats for the season, Paddy Lane has now scored more goals (excluding penalties) than Colby B. He (PL) also has more assists, and all of that in less minutes.  Colby has many strengths (good goals over the season so far, a very good penalty-taker (other than the two recent misses), runs his heart out despite being constantly fouled, and tracks back well. But his record since Nov has been pretty poor, so something is wrong. 
May just be lack of support, but it seems more than that. On another thread someone compared him to Marquis which is wrong, because Marquis just ran round like a headless chicken most of the time whereas Colby runs with more purpose. But the bottom line is that it isn't currently working for him. 
So what's the solution? Play two up front? Rest him for a couple of games and give (Yengi) a proper run again, even more coaching to get crosses into him?
I'd keep Colby in the team for Tuesday, but unless he's bang on song I'd take him off after 60 mins or even HT and put Yengi on to use his pace was Cambridge begin to get tired. We need Colby back terrorising the opposition and he needs help one way or another.
It's only a problem if we don't get goals from other areas. He's always been a stop start scorer and is still near the top of the L1 scoring charts. He'll get some more goals soon if he keeps on doing what he's doing. 

Youre right that (unlike Marquis) the ball sticks to him so he still performs an important role for the team. Looking forward to him bagging a few soon.
I don’t believe Bishop is playing badly though. He looks to be lacking a bit of confidence with his touch but his work rate is phenomenal and he got into some great positions yesterday. I’d have banked on Colby scoring if Lane had passed instead of wasting his shot.
We don’t need two up front but we do need other players to get closer to him.

As Peds says, if others are scoring, it really doesn’t matter to anyone except Bishop.
Doesn't that rather depend on whether you think goal difference is important
Lies, damn lies and statistics eh?

Bishop’s game is leading the line, creating space for team mates and relieving pressure on our midfield and back line.

He did that brilliantly yesterday and I’m sure the goals will start to come again.
(11-02-2024, 08:07 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't that rather depend on whether you think goal difference is important

It’s a valid point, Isaac, but if you’ve got more points than the other teams then it doesn’t matter, does it. 

Interesting to note but our goal difference is creeping up too. All the time the other teams are losing points, theirs is getting worse. 

I still believe we should be doing to other teams what we did to Northampton but we’re getting there regardless. It’s somewhat reminiscent of that Arsenal team who kept grinding out 1-0 wins. It’s not as pretty as we’d like but that ultimate statistic doesn’t lie.
All fair points.

I think he starts things well, holds it up and little flicks come off now and again. These are important contributions.

He needs a goal though. When he first got here and the corners were being taken, he was getting headers, near post. Where has that gone?
I have nicknamed him 'Ryan Bird'..... He reminds me of nothing more then a defender being asked to play upfront with time running out.

If we want to stay up next season, we will need far better than him.

And Yengi should be given far more time then he has been!.
He is a good league 1 striker. 

Did make me laugh when Deepblue said he is an upper end championship striker though.
(11-02-2024, 10:21 AM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]He is a good league 1 striker. 

Did make me laugh when Deepblue said he is an upper end championship striker though.

Actually I think the term ‘striker’ is inappropriate for Bishop, he plays as a centre forward.
(11-02-2024, 10:25 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2024, 10:21 AM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]He is a good league 1 striker. 

Actually I think the term ‘striker’ is inappropriate for Bishop, he plays as a centre forward.

In a age when it's all about feelings..... You can pretend to be anything, didn't you know?. Dodgy

Find a quote where I said that. 

I said championship clubs have tried to sign him so they think he is good enough for the championship, and we will never know till he gets there.   But yes, I do I think he could do OK there in much the same way that the likes of Michael Smith have.  

You added the words 'upper end' yourself in a pathetic attempt to  exaggerate what I said.
After making a fool of himself once again with the statement "we'll never keep a clean sheet at Carlisle with Raggett in the side" ( I think it's now 11 and counting), Titchfield Scummer's new target appears to be Bishop. Given the level of his punditry, a Bishop hat-trick can't be that far away. PUP
He put one on a plate for us yesterday with a lovely bit of skill and cross at the near post which somehow ended up going over the bar from someone. But he really needs a goal or two on Tuesday to get things moving again.
(10-02-2024, 09:33 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at the stats for the season, Paddy Lane has now scored more goals (excluding penalties) than Colby B. He (PL) also has more assists, and all of that in less minutes.  Colby has many strengths (good goals over the season so far, a very good penalty-taker (other than the two recent misses), runs his heart out despite being constantly fouled, and tracks back well. But his record since Nov has been pretty poor, so something is wrong. 
May just be lack of support, but it seems more than that. On another thread someone compared him to Marquis which is wrong, because Marquis just ran round like a headless chicken most of the time whereas Colby runs with more purpose. But the bottom line is that it isn't currently working for him. 
So what's the solution? Play two up front? Rest him for a couple of games and give (Yengi) a proper run again, even more coaching to get crosses into him?
I'd keep Colby in the team for Tuesday, but unless he's bang on song I'd take him off after 60 mins or even HT and put Yengi on to use his pace was Cambridge begin to get tired. We need Colby back terrorising the opposition and he needs help one way or another.

Why Not play 2 upfront especially at our Home Games where we expect to be having more possession.

I'd like to see him play with Lang & see how it goes.

We urgently need to be scoring more goals & increase our GD asap.
Two up front is never going to happen as Mousinho has built the whole squad around his preferred tactics of two wide men and one in the hole. It's the way they train every week. Any tweaks will be in the midfield area.
(11-02-2024, 11:08 AM):dodgy:essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2024, 10:25 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

In a age when it's all about feelings..... You can pretend to be anything, didn't you know?. Dodgy

Rolleyes
(11-02-2024, 04:55 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2024, 09:33 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at the stats for the season, Paddy Lane has now scored more goals (excluding penalties) than Colby B. He (PL) also has more assists, and all of that in less minutes.  Colby has many strengths (good goals over the season so far, a very good penalty-taker (other than the two recent misses), runs his heart out despite being constantly fouled, and tracks back well. But his record since Nov has been pretty poor, so something is wrong. 

Why Not play 2 upfront especially at our Home Games where we expect to be having more possession.

Why, we’re top and how many points clear?
Only at present & it may come down to GD come May. We're just scraping wins at present besides Northampton result.
Mikey, Derby’s is only two better than ours and Bolton’s one. Beat them one nil and ours is better than Bolton’s and equal with Derby’s and ours is better than everyone else’s in the division. It ain’t such a big thing.
Let's not try to just scrape through but put some of these teams to the sword.
(11-02-2024, 04:55 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]

Why play Lang out of position to solve a non-existent problem ?
(11-02-2024, 07:21 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Let's not try to just scrape through but put some of these teams to the sword.

I didn't see yesterday as scraping through. We were professional, worked hard, and played the right game against a team who played very well on the day. We were a bit slow getting going (not for lack of effort) but well organised and limited Carlisle to one high-hit chance. We scored a great goal, and were also unlucky with three other close efforts. Didn't see any faults with the performance at all.

Bishop holds the ball up well, but if we go up to the Championship we will need a main striker who will be quicker, and less shot-shy, than at present. Maybe also, we should be looking at who else can take penalties?
(11-02-2024, 07:21 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Let's not try to just scrape through but put some of these teams to the sword.

Good idea. I’m sure Mousinho won’t have considered that one.

Meanwhile, due to his incompetence, we’re only……..

Top of the league.
Pages: 1 2