TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Player of the season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, it's getting towards that time of the year again.... And it looks like it's going too be a great finale.

And this honour may go down to the wire as well... But for me, there is four stand out candidates.

Paddy Lane
Marlon Pack
Abu Kamara
Conor Shaughnessy

For me Shaughnessy wins it, he has been an ever-present all season making only one real mistake when being caught on the ball at Cheltenham. He has been a true leader in that back line. Wins everything in the air, calm on the ball, great range of passing and Goals. And after the Injury to Poole, I think many feared our season may have been over due to Raggett replacing him. 

Side note on Raggett I know he looks unorthodox (like Bambi on Ice). But he is a far better footballer then he looks.... And he has been a first class professional footballer never moaned in public and has always given 100% when called on. If it's not with us next season, someone is going to gain a true asset. 

Shaughnessy takes it with Pack in a close second, due to missing the whole of October and not returning until 25th November and the Blackpool game. But since his return, his range of passing and his hold up play in the middle of the park, along side his leadership of others has been first class. And for me he would have been a far closer call, if not for those nearly two months out.

Lane will be fresh in the minds of many, due to his recent performances. He has at times delivered critical goals and assists, just like Kamara. But both have had off games and for 'Player of the season' it's outstanding consistency that you want. 

'Player of the season'
Shaughnessy

'Young Player'
Kamara  (We need to try our best to sign him!)
Lane is putting a late run together for POTS I think. It's looking like his goals are going to get us up. What's particularly qualifying for the accolade is some of them he is creating for himself.

Agree with your other candidates though.
Marlon Pack for me.  Shaughnessy runs him very close but Pack's leadership swings it for him IMO.  

The way I look at it could we have had the season we had / won promotion (delete as applicable when the time comes) without Pack, and I think the answer is no. Whereas for Shaughnessy we have other centre backs who have played well so we might have covered without him, like we have for Poole. 

Of course if Poole had stayed fit he would have been a strong contender, and maybe Robertson too ?
Pack for me. A born leader and a Pompey geezer who is determined with every drop of sweat to get his home club out of L1.
Runner-up would be Raggett, a top class professional who has just got on with the job without complaint when he's been dropped or suffered brickbats. A no-nonsense guy who delivers consistently.
Pack just shades it for me also. But no complaints about your top 4 Ess Mix. If Lane can keep this run of form going he won't be far away but worry that he will be moved onto the left side again now Kamara has had a bit of a break. He is not normally as effective on that side but is ever improving.
Correct,Shaughnessy has been ever present apart from when he didn't play.

Poole looked a shoo in for it prior to his injury, Robertson would also have been a very strong candidate until his.

At this stage I think Pack would be getting my vote.
Pack for me but a few more goals from Lane could swing it. I’m also in the ‘big pat on the back’ for Kamara camp.
Yep, Shaughnessy for me also.
Though Lane has been great IMO, so a close second.
Yep, Shaughnessy for me too.
although it could go to Lane I think.

I agree with about Ragget he looks solid at times IMO
I didn't realise he's 6' 5"
Conor for me so far, he's been an ever present rock at that back and weighed in with a couple of important goals.
Shame Connor Ogilvie has been out, it would be very close.
I would go for Pack right now but would not be at all surprised if by the end if the season it is Lane. His importance this season cannot be underestimated. The utter failure so far of the Whyte and Scully signings means that if Lane hadn't have stepped up like he has, we'd have really struggled.
Ogilvie had he stayed fit!
So calm and always a 7 for me. Chips in with goals and can play centre back too.
Injury saw him off this year.

Marlon is a player who bleeds blue and his influence in every game even when ha has an off day.

Connor S cannot be argued with. He has been less glamorous but an absolute rock in our defence and also comes up with late winners in games turning 1 into 3 points.

Paddy with consistency would be a shoe in but there lies the truth. He has had his off days. He's young and if we get to the championship, will not let us down. Exciting lad.

For me it's Marlon or Connor and the pompey boy shades it.

He's one of our own! MARLON PACK
And Yak shades the best assessment, for me.
If he had stayed fit/ uninjured for the season then I reckon Poole would get it.
I'm going for Titchfieldblue, what a consistent performance, he's played a blinder
He has certainly had a lot of success on here.

The best self confessed WUM we’ve got……..and still they bite.
(12-02-2024, 05:41 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]He has certainly had a lot of success on here.

The best self confessed WUM we’ve got……..and still they bite.
But a complete irrelevance, bit like Ms T Swift.
(11-02-2024, 09:44 AM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, it's getting towards that time of the year again.... And it looks like it's going too be a great finale.

And this honour may go down to the wire as well... But for me, there is four stand out candidates.

Paddy Lane
Marlon Pack
Abu Kamara
Conor Shaughnessy

For me Shaughnessy wins it, he has been an ever-present all season making only one real mistake when being caught on the ball at Cheltenham. He has been a true leader in that back line. Wins everything in the air, calm on the ball, great range of passing and Goals. And after the Injury to Poole, I think many feared our season may have been over due to Raggett replacing him. 

Side note on Raggett I know he looks unorthodox (like Bambi on Ice). But he is a far better footballer then he looks.... And he has been a first class professional footballer never moaned in public and has always given 100% when called on. If it's not with us next season, someone is going to gain a true asset. 

Shaughnessy takes it with Pack in a close second, due to missing the whole of October and not returning until 25th November and the Blackpool game. But since his return, his range of passing and his hold up play in the middle of the park, along side his leadership of others has been first class. And for me he would have been a far closer call, if not for those nearly two months out.

Lane will be fresh in the minds of many, due to his recent performances. He has at times delivered critical goals and assists, just like Kamara. But both have had off games and for 'Player of the season' it's outstanding consistency that you want. 

'Player of the season'
Shaughnessy

'Young Player'
Kamara  (We need to try our best to sign him!)

I would have said Poole was nailed on for the player of the season, with Nessy a close second and Raggett third. Don't agree with Kamara. I think he has moments but even when he set up the goal (along with rafferty) at Carlisle he barely touched the ball afterwards. Maybe he'll improve with age, but I've yet to see Kamara put in more than 45 mins a game. Lane's a funny one because his goal run has coincided with the quality of his crossing going downhill a bit. Like him though.

Raggett deserves something because no matter how many times Mousinho tries to bin him, circumstances continue to show he's still capable of doing the business. Like Twitchy with Linvoy.
Kev the Kitman.
Any player whose name I can both remember and spell.
On principal I might have to vote for Raggett and Kamara just to annoy those who need someone to boo every season.

More seriously probably Pack who has been a proper captain and has also attracted online criticism.

And I would bite Norwich's hand off to sign Kamara.
(12-02-2024, 02:23 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Any player whose name I can both remember and spell.
On principal I might have to vote for Raggett and Kamara just to annoy those who need someone to boo every season.

More seriously probably Pack who has been a proper captain and has also attracted online criticism.

And I would bite Norwich's hand off to sign Kamara.

How much would you value him at?
Let's not forget how good Sparkes has been before his injury. I think he'll be on the short list if he plays again before the seasons out.
(11-02-2024, 11:29 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Marlon Pack for me.  Shaughnessy runs him very close but Pack's leadership swings it for him IMO.  

The way I look at it could we have had the season we had / won promotion (delete as applicable when the time comes) without Pack, and I think the answer is no. Whereas for Shaughnessy we have other centre backs who have played well so we might have covered without him, like we have for Poole. 

Of course if Poole had stayed fit he would have been a strong contender, and maybe Robertson too ?

very fair assessment imho
Pedalo, don’t think Sparkes has been injured. Has he???
I’d like to see Sparkes get back to his best at those crosses he was firing in early on in the season.
Pages: 1 2