TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Name your next Pompey manager
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Don’t think there’s a thread where we can name our choice of Pompey’s next manager. So let’s have a go to find out this forums preferred option.
Here we go. Of those being touted to date
Stendel.
(17-03-2021, 09:29 AM)Zblueinbrum3 Wrote: [ -> ]Don’t think there’s a thread where we can name our choice of Pompey’s next manager. So let’s have a go to find out this forums preferred option.
Here we go. Of those being touted to date
Stendel.

My preferred options:

1/ Stendel (Wilder really but I’m a realist)
2/ Cowley
3/ Ryan Lowe
Stendel
Stendel
Appleton
Stendel for me also.
Stendelton for me. Or possibly Applerap.
Off the top of my head...

Hasselbaink
Cowleys
Michael Duff
Football Managers Out of Work Right Now. Take your pick.

Aitor Karanka
Alex Dyer
Alex McLeish
André Villas-Boas
Billy Davies
Bruno Lage
Chris Coleman
Chris Wilder
Danny Cowley
David Hopkin
David Wagner
Dean Holden
Derek McInnes
Eddie Howe
Ernesto Valverde
Frank Lampard
Gary Caldwell
Garry Monk
Graham Westley
Gus Poyet
Harry Kewell
Ian Holloway
Jason Tindall
Jim McIntyre
John McGreal
Jürgen Klinsmann
Kenny Jackett
Leonardo Jardim
Lucien Favre
Luciano Spalletti
Marco Silva
Mark Hughes
Martin Allen
Massimiliano Allegri
Maurizio Sarri
Micky Adams
Neil Harris
Neil Lennon
Nigel Adkins
Nigel Worthington
Oscar Garcia
Patrick Viera
Paul Clement
Paul Dickov
Paul Lambert
Paul Peschisolido
Paul Tisdale
Phil Brown
Phil Parkinson
Phillip Cocu
Philippe Montanier
Quique Sánchez Flores
Quique Setién
Rafa Benitez
Richard Money
Robert Di Matteo
Ronnie Moore
Sean O’Driscoll
Sol Campbell
Steven Pressley
Stuart Kettlewell
Stuart McCall
Sylvinho
Tony Pulis
Vincenzo Montella
Vladimir Ivic
Walter Mazzarri
It's got to be a Mickey Adams/Nigel Adkins dream team
Hi all, a name I haven't seen mentioned so far is Torsten Lieberknecht. He's experienced, passionate and available, he took Eintracht Braunschweig from the third division in Germany back up into the Bundesliga a few seasons ago and he just missed out on promotion with Duisburg (Pompey link!) last season, I think he'd be a great fit.
Are any of them miracle workers? That's who we need right now! When KJ arrived he had a year where expectations were moderate and then we expected to be in or around promotion. The issue for whoever takes over is that we have now had 4 years in league 1, are fed up of it, and probably most now demand promotion next year. Top 2 may well be the expectation. It needs a new manager to move fast and build a squad out of nowhere (as Harry & Jim did). That's a tough task. Good luck to them!! Would we settle for attractive football and a play off place?
(17-03-2021, 10:38 AM)PUP31 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all, a name I haven't seen mentioned so far is Torsten Lieberknecht. He's experienced, passionate and available, he took Eintracht Braunschweig from the third division in Germany back up into the Bundesliga a few seasons ago and he just missed out on promotion with Duisburg (Pompey link!) last season, I think he'd be a great fit.

It would be a massive challenge for the fans to develop a song for him.... what rhymes with Lieberknecht? However, 'Torsten' scans well in e-i-e-i-e-i-o up the football league we go....
That's for sure! Very loosely translated his name means "nice guy"! It could always be shortened to "Lee-ber"...
Stayinup’s list has so many managers I had forgotten about entirely or thought they were dead or retired.

Perhaps the way ahead is to remove all those we can’t afford or who wouldn’t want to come at any price, then those that are clearly over the hill, put the remaining names into a bran tub and let Catlin draw the name of our next manager out.

It’s a Win win really, if Catlin draws out a manager who goes on to be a great success for Pompey it further enhances his reputation (which is already glittering I am told), if he picks a dog then all the Catlin doubters and baiters can have a field day whilst The Eisners carry on the laborious task of re-building Pompey brick-by-brick whilst ensuring that we only eat what we kill.

Please MrEisner sir, can we have a bigger gun ?
We can wait for Ralph
Appleton
Stendel

In that order, though I can't see us paying to release anyone.

Pup31's suggestion looks worthy of a bit of a poke about. Wasn't 'Liebernecht' part of a Kraftwerk lyric? I can hear those tutonic voices singing it in my head.
(17-03-2021, 11:44 AM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]Appleton
Stendel

In that order, though I can't see us paying to release anyone.

Pup31's suggestion looks worthy of a bit of a poke about. Wasn't 'Liebernecht' part of a Kraftwerk lyric? I can hear those tutonic voices singing it in my head.

Time for some research. Should distract me from work for a day or two!
Hi guys, thanks for the nod - Google Images will give you a pretty good idea of who he is...
I doubt our executive team is even competent enough to have an initial list this comprehensive lol

Someone should email MC this thread to give him a head start ;-) as it seems the names currently linked are pretty narrow, to put it politely.

Getting back to the original post, there is quite a lot up in the air at the moment. It really depends on our budget, ambition and timeframe. I.e. Get a placeholder until the summer of get a full time manager asap
There may yet be another problem, when the expectant Managers ask “ what’s my transfer and salary budget”, the answer coming back from Eisner and Catlin “well the transfer budget is thick end of bugger all and we have already told the out of contract players that salaries are going to be very substantially reduced next season” may not seem that encouraging.

Only the most desperate of possible managers would see that as anything other than a last cigarette and a blindfold job offer.......but Stayinups list has a dozen or more ‘absolutely desperate for a job’ types who will take whatever’s on offer (they should come with a Health Warning)
I had forgotten about Garry Monk.
I think he did a decent job at the clubs he was at. Mostly operating under difficult circumstances, ie interference from the owners transfer bans etc.
Might do a good job for us?
Can we afford Avram Grant?
What a job he did for us - with no money, loan players and the administration etc...got us to an FA cup final FFS.
Avram would probably do it just for the 'extras'. Could mean our season has a happy finish after all.
With Cleaver, from that list Garry Monk, and Mark Hughes stand out. Both with a Welsh link too, which is nice
(17-03-2021, 01:08 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]Avram would probably do it just for the 'extras'. Could mean our season has a happy finish after all.

Haha, yeh with the right incentive scheme we could probably get Rooney in as coach too  Big Grin
Pages: 1 2