TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Richard Hughes Signings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Signed before Richard Hughes arrived October 2022.

Connor Ogilvie            Joined Aug 2, 2021
Sean Raggett              Joined: Aug 3, 2020
Joe Rafferty                Joined: Jul 1, 2022
Zak Swanson              Joined: Jul 4, 2022
Tom Lowery                Joined: Aug 5, 2022
Joe Morrell                Joined: Aug 9, 2021
Marlon Pack              Joined: Jul 1, 2022
Colby Bishop            Joined: Jul 21, 2022

Good Hughes signings...
Kusini Yengi                Joined: Jul 2, 2023
Callum Lang               Joined: Jan 29, 2024
Paddy Lane                Joined: Jan 31, 2023
Regan Poole               Joined: Jul 10, 2023
Conor Shaughnessy    Joined: Jul 1, 2023
Will Norris                  Joined: Jul 1, 2023
Matt Macey                Joined: Jan 12, 2024

Undecided
Jack Sparkes             Joined: Jul 1, 2023  Border line Good/Undecided
Owen Moxon             Joined: Feb 1, 2024
Tom McIntyre            Joined: Jan 30, 2024  Would have preferred Tyler Bindon
Terry Devlin               Joined: Jul 1, 2023  Border line Undecided/Poor signing

Poor signings...
Ryan Schofield            Joined: Jul 26, 2023
Ryley Towler               Joined: Jan 6, 2023
Josh Martin                Joined: Nov 13, 2023
Anthony Scully           Joined: Jul 1, 2023
Gavin Whyte              Joined: Jul 1, 2023
Ben Stevenson           Joined: Jul 1, 2023
Christian Saydee        Joined: Jul 1, 2023
Good list. Agree with all classifications except Towler who I think is good. Shows broadly a 1 in 2 hit rate
Disagree about Towler.
I don't rate Towler at all.... He has a football player look, but his ability is poor.

And to be fair to Mousinho, he has shown he knows this as well.
When he has played he's hardly put a foot wrong. The trouble is he rarely gets a game.

A great back-up substitute in case of injury.
Next season I would prefer to keep Raggett as cover with Poole, Shaughnessy and McIntyre.

Towler is not a Championship player.
(25-02-2024, 07:50 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]Towler is not a Championship player.

What's your evidence?
(25-02-2024, 07:51 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-02-2024, 07:50 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]Towler is not a Championship player.

What's your evidence?

This season..... He's rarely been used and the time he was, we shipped a goal due to him!.
That doesn't mean he's not a "Championship player".

Firstly, he has rarely played and, according to you, he was at fault for one goal.

On that basis Adam Webster should be playing in the Conference.
So he hardly plays but you expect him to come straight in and perform to full potential?

What’s wrong with Stevenson?
Oxford don't score a equaliser if Ogilvie stayed on the pitch!...

And Mousinho's, not made the same mistake again.

Mousinho doesn't rate him..... He keeps turning to Raggett to save the day.
In a ideal world, do you keep Raggett or Towler next season?.... Because I can't see us having five CB.

For me Raggett wins hands down.
(25-02-2024, 07:39 PM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]Good list. Agree with all classifications except Towler who I think is good. Shows broadly  a 1 in 2 hit rate

Yes I think Towler will be a very good player, we haven’t seen the best of him yet.
Stevenson and Scully were the best 2 players pre-season at Wimbledon since then either have not hardly played for the first team so I can’t see how anyone can judge them properly. Where as Whyte has had plenty of opportunity.
Sh*t a pre-season friendly vs a league two team!.

Stevenson hasn't done anything wrong, but we have 4 holding midfield players that are better...Lowery, Morrell, Pack and Moxon.

And as for Scully.... Martin being on the bench speaks volumes!.
IIRC Towler was going going to be first choice left centre back but picked up a knock at the beginning of the season, Shaughnessy came in and has since made the position his own. IMO Towler has been unlucky and I still believe he’s got potential.
(25-02-2024, 10:38 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC Towler was going going to be first choice left centre back but picked up a knock at the beginning of the season, Shaughnessy came in and has since made the position his own. IMO Towler has been unlucky and I still believe he’s got potential.

The left hand side position will be between McIntyre and Shaughnessy next season....
That still doesn't make Towler a poor signing.
And if Stevenson hasn’t done anything wrong???

Why is Matt Macey a good signing, using your logic re Towler?

And does that make Swanson a poor player too?
I think Scully has talent but can't stay fit enough to even see a glimpse of said talent.
He has been a poor signing.
Ryan Schofield was awful and a poor signing
But the biggest let down has been Gavin Whyte who has singularly failed to live up any semblance of a decent player.
He has been given chances to play himself into some form, he has been kept fit and he has the manager's backing 100%.
He is the biggest let down.
Everyone else has been kept out of the side in Ben S's case or been behind Bishop and Yengi in Saydee's case. BTW, saydee is somewhat cult figure for his endeavour in games.
Macey we know all about and some here might actually prefer him to Norris.
I think you are a tad harsh on Saydee, with a good run in the side, playing to his strengths, there’s a lot worse than him playing regularly in this division.
(25-02-2024, 07:54 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]

What's your evidence?

This season..... He's rarely been used and the time he was, we shipped a goal due to him!.

No he didn't.  He did nothing much wrong for that goal ... he tracked him back all the way, didn't let him get past him and then when the player turned back Raggett was the one who didn't close down his shot. And then Norris failed to push the ball to safety.  Raggett & Norris were more to blame than Towler, as was Lang whose careless backheel gave the ball away in the first place.
(25-02-2024, 07:34 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]Signed before Richard Hughes arrived October 2022.

Good Hughes signings...

Undecided
Terry Devlin               Joined: Jul 1, 2023  Border line Undecided/Poor signing

Poor signings...

I would argue that some of the 'poor' signings are only because they've been overshadowed by better players. I disagree with towler and Stephenson also. Without reserves, we just don't know what they are capable of in my opinion.
(26-02-2024, 11:59 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-02-2024, 07:54 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]

What's your evidence?

No he didn't.  He did nothing much wrong for that goal ... he tracked him back all the way, didn't let him get past him and then when the player turned back Raggett was the one who didn't close down his shot. And then Norris failed to push the ball to safety.  Raggett & Norris were more to blame than Towler, as was Lang whose careless backheel gave the ball away in the first place.

Personally, I think Towler should have been far closer to Harris when the attacker got the ball. It wasn’t as though he didn’t have time to get there. The ball was struck at least four times and that by three different players before Harris received it. The only time Towler got between him and the goal was when Harris checked back onto his left. 
To blame Raggett for any part in that is quite strange. He was running back at full tilt and had to stop on a sixpence to even try and get his body between the attacker and the goal.
Harris himself didn’t score, Henry did. He was being tracked by Lowery, who
pulled up and let him carry on.
In my view, Towler was the main culprit. Does that make him a poor player? He made a mistake but so does everyone.

I think it was a good goal but generally poor defending, all over the pitch, by Pompey.
(25-02-2024, 07:34 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]Signed before Richard Hughes arrived October 2022.

Good Hughes signings...

Undecided

Poor signings...

I go out for the day to swing the clubs for only the second time thus year & come back to these " Pearls of Wisdom" from Pic 'n Mix. 

Kusini Yengi & Callum Lang both 25 show promise but not good yet  by any means yet.

Jack Sparkes 23 progressing well.

Owen Moxon 26 looks a good signing.

Terry Devlin has only just turned 20 - will be a great signing within two years. 

Riley Towler 21 - showed last season what he is capable of - promising.

Josh Martin  21 - give him another year & get him out on loan for regular football & see what he can do. 

Christian Saydee  21 - needs to work on his finishing -we will need his strength in the Championship
Pages: 1 2