TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: A curious experience
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I’m over in Blighty right now but nowhere near Fratton Park, unfortunately.

As some may know, I live abroad and am therefore able to watch every match on IFollow. However, because I’m visiting England, I was unable to view the Oxford game and was reduced to doing a Mikey and had to rely on the radio commentary. The game seemed quite in Oxfords favour and we seemed fortunate to get the win.

As a result of being an Ifollow season ticket holder, I do get the chance to replay the game the next day and I often do so if I think it was entertaining enough. 

I watched the game last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course, I viewed it knowing the result and was consequently totally unbovvered by Oxfords near misses. Oxford played well, undoubtedly, but I was equally impressed by Pompey and wasn’t left feeling we were that flattered by the result.

A few things stood out. A few individual player performances were noted (I suppose because I was looking for them based on the player ratings thread).

I’d be interested to know if anyone else has bothered to watch the game again and, if so, what their opinion is.

I wasn’t going to originally but here’s a next day, cool as a cucumber, player rating.

Norris, some fantastic stops. We would have been buried without him. 8
Ogilvie, seemed a little slow at times but tigerish in the challenge and up and down the pitch. 7
Shockers, pretty dominant at the back but pinned back there. 8
Raggett, far from his best game and some uncharacteristic errors (and too numerous by his standards) but his passing was spot on. 6
Rafferty, what a game! I have to agree with a couple of others, he was immense 9 MOM
Pack, a superb performance and only Rafferty was better. 8.95
MPH, this one really surprised me. He was everywhere and at the heart of a few of our chances. I’m a long way from being convinced that that is his best position but he was far more like the player we saw on his debut. A rub of the green and a bit more composure… 7.5
Lang, a fans dream,  ability and heart. He ran for everything 8
Lane, he is wasted on the left. I’ve read comments about how his stats seem better when he plays on the left but my recall is that most of his good work has come when he has drifted more towards the centre of the goal, when on that side 6.5
Bishop, a very sterling performance. He isn’t just about goals (fortunately). The way he made space for that snap shot was very impressive. 7.5
Kamara, back to flashes of absolute brilliance and then mediocrity. 7

Moxon. I’m looking forward to seeing him play more and more. 8
Yengi. Not enough time to show. 
Martin, not enough time to reveal what an absolute waste of space he is.

Oxford were good but not the best we’ve seen. I saw a few good chances they missed but they didn’t actually cut us open at will. 

We are top of the league for many good reasons.
Chuckle, I forgot Saydee 8.9

Great to see him get a goal at last. Let’s hope he’s another George Hirst.
(04-03-2024, 08:12 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I’m over in Blighty right now but nowhere near Fratton Park, unfortunately.

As some may know, I live abroad and am therefore able to watch every match on IFollow. However, because I’m visiting England, I was unable to view the Oxford game and was reduced to doing a Mikey and had to rely on the radio commentary. The game seemed quite in Oxfords favour and we seemed fortunate to get the win.

As a result of being an Ifollow season ticket holder, I do get the chance to replay the game the next day and I often do so if I think it was entertaining enough. 

I watched the game last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course, I viewed it knowing the result and was consequently totally unbovvered by Oxfords near misses. Oxford played well, undoubtedly, but I was equally impressed by Pompey and wasn’t left feeling we were that flattered by the result.

A few things stood out. A few individual player performances were noted (I suppose because I was looking for them based on the player ratings thread).

I’d be interested to know if anyone else has bothered to watch the game again and, if so, what their opinion is.

I wasn’t going to originally but here’s a next day, cool as a cucumber, player rating.

Ogilvie, seemed a little slow at times but tigerish in the challenge and up and down the pitch. 7
Raggett, far from his best game and some uncharacteristic errors (and too numerous by his standards) but his passing was spot on. 6
Rafferty, what a game! I have to agree with a couple of others, he was immense 9 MOM
MPH, this one really surprised me. He was everywhere and at the heart of a few of our chances. I’m a long way from being convinced that that is his best position but he was far more like the player we saw on his debut. A rub of the green and a bit more composure… 7.5
Lane, he is wasted on the left. I’ve read comments about how his stats seem better when he plays on the left but my recall is that most of his good work has come when he has drifted more towards the centre of the goal, when on that side 6.5
Bishop, a very sterling performance. He isn’t just about goals (fortunately). The way he made space for that snap shot was very impressive. 7.5

Oxford were good but not the best we’ve seen. I saw a few good chances they missed but they didn’t actually cut us open at will. 

Absolutely spot on assessment. Couldn’t agree more. Must admit though like many around me I questioned what the fu-k is he bringing Saydee on but he certainly rammed my ranting down my throat.
(04-03-2024, 11:50 AM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2024, 08:12 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I’m over in Blighty right now but nowhere near Fratton Park, unfortunately.

Absolutely spot on assessment. Couldn’t agree more. Must admit though like many around me I questioned what the fu-k is he bringing Saydee on but he certainly rammed my ranting down my throat.

I was questioning that substitution too Bob, wtf do we know?  Big Grin

So because you were ‘visiting England’ you were unable to view the Oxford game?

Funny, I always thought Pompey was in England. I know it’s an Island but still  Big Grin .
Here's my take we played well, especially the first half
Oxford over performed from how they've been lately, apparently.  They played well at times, which is what they've got excited about.  It surprised them  
On the whole, the game was pretty good to watch, a proper game of football with both teams going for it. 
Oxford did play some neat football and had us on the back foot at times.  They were direct and quick.
Equally, we played some good stuff, our movement and passing was good, not as direct.
Rafferty and Lane stood out along with Shaughnessy

Oxford created some good chances, hit the post twice and the bar. They really don't count!
Oxford scored from a nailed on penalty, which shouldn't of happened, the only fault Raggs made from what I saw.  
We were always in the game and the difference being we score twice from open play, they didn't.
(04-03-2024, 12:22 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

Funny, I always thought Pompey was in England. I know it’s an Island but still  Big Grin .

This answer is delivered as part of my monthly charitable activity as part of care in the community for the older fan who is hard of understanding.
iFollow is not available to view live in the UK but it is abroad (see T&Cs). Hence Cunning being unable to view it whilst visiting the UK but still being able to listen on iFollow.

One assumes Cunning was unable to "view" (or attend if you like - Origin: Middle English (in the sense ‘apply one's mind or energies to’): from Old French atendre, from Latin attendere, from ad- ‘to’ + tendere ‘stretch’) the game in person at Fratton Park as it was a sell out.

One can also assume Cunning could be anywhere in this glorious country of ours, some parts of which are, so I'm given to understand from my primary school geography, many hundreds of miles apart.

Hopefully this is now clear but I can draw a diagram in crayon if you are still having issues Gaff.
I simply got a VPN
(04-03-2024, 02:23 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2024, 12:22 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]So because you were ‘visiting England’ you were unable to view the Oxford game?

This answer is delivered as part of my monthly charitable activity as part of care in the community for the older fan who is hard of understanding.
iFollow is not available to view live in the UK but it is abroad (see T&Cs). Hence Cunning being unable to view it whilst visiting the UK but still being able to listen on iFollow.

One assumes Cunning was unable to "view" (or attend if you like - Origin: Middle English (in the sense ‘apply one's mind or energies to’): from Old French atendre, from Latin attendere, from ad- ‘to’ + tendere ‘stretch’) the game in person at Fratton Park as it was a sell out.

One can also assume Cunning could be anywhere in this glorious country of ours, some parts of which are, so I'm given to understand from my primary school geography, many hundreds of miles apart.

Hopefully this is now clear but I can draw a diagram in crayon if you are still having issues Gaff.

Oh really? It doesn’t surprise me that you possess crayons   Big Grin .

If I lived abroad and Pompey were playing a vital game when I was visiting the UK I’d move heaven and earth to visit FP. I would presumably have known that I was coming to the UK and purchased a ticket in advance. I can write you instructions on how to do that if you like teeftwo  Big Grin .

Anyway, there could be any number of reasons why Cunning couldn’t attend the game, I was just pulling his leg. In any event I doubt he needs you to speak for him. 

As an aside, it is possible to travel hundreds of miles within this great country of ours, I do it all the time.
Piss poor planning on my part. Came through the great port of Portsmouth on Thursday and in Hereford visiting family on Saturday. The poorest of internet connections while I was there.

Even worse, I’m up in the north west until Friday and taking the ferry back to Frenchland on Saturday. How fucking stupid is that?

Never been to Blackpool, either!
For quite a while I was nonplussed by Rafferty; no better than a safe pair of hands and was confident Swanson could more than fill his boots if needed to. In the last couple of months, however, he’s been one of our best players (and there’s some stiff competition for that). I feel much more confident in him, both as a defender and link up player.
Funny how the confused always come up with the "I was only joking" when found out.

Still, glad Gaff now knows the truth about iFollow. Bless

Thanks for the name check Cunni & glad you heard Guy's dulcet tones giving his very accurate assessment of the game. 

I also watched the ITV4 Highlights programme & Raggett's challenge was a definite penalty & very rash.

Like everyone else when announce Saydee was coming on my heart sank but all credit to him he had work very hard & his finishing was top draw!
Guy makes his fair share of mistakes too.
Mph makes an appalling back pass, Raggett gets the blame after a rash challenge.
Moxon was miles better than mph when he came on.
Mph might look the part but he doesn’t play like it at the moment.
(04-03-2024, 12:22 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]So because you were ‘visiting England’ you were unable to view the Oxford game?

iFollow is not available to view live in the UK but it is abroad (see T&Cs). Hence Cunning being unable to view it whilst visiting the UK but still being able to listen on iFollow

Ha, Ha that's rich coming from you Doofus, you have just admitted in another post that you are going to be attending  your one & only PFC match this season in a couple of weeks time.

It always amazes me at the several  PFC  followers on here who rarely if ever attend any live games (you can hardly call them fans as they rarely if ever attend games )  

They only watch matches on  ifollow or  listen on the radio yet feel obliged to give their  "expert" (sh!t) analysis of players & the match.

It is laughable in the extreme  Smile Smile
I never give my analysis of a match unless I've seen it all. I was a season ticket holder for several years, before and through the fan owned years and out the other side. Name is on the list on the North Stand (twice), bought shares, bought Tifosy experiences, put my money towards saving the club, never expected it back.

These days other commitments and interests mean I can't go much so a season ticket is pointless. But I remain a member and it's always a joy to go the park.

Sorry I don't meet your superfan standards exterm but as I expect you know, I couldn't care what you think. Still, feel free to buy me a pint in the Victory Lounge.
(04-03-2024, 06:48 PM)TheSyrup Wrote: [ -> ]Mph makes an appalling back pass, Raggett gets the blame after a rash challenge.
Moxon was miles better than mph when he came on.
Mph might look the part but he doesn’t play like it at the moment.

It was a truly appalling pass after receiving a very good pass from Raggett himself.

I’m impressed with MPH and his willingness to constantly try things. It seems like he’s on the edge of greatness (a bit like Kamara) but just can’t quite finish what he starts. Of course, we saw that all last season, with Dale.

All three have one thing in common….not our players. For that reason I couldn’t really give a stuff.
(04-03-2024, 08:49 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]

iFollow is not available to view live in the UK but it is abroad (see T&Cs). Hence Cunning being unable to view it whilst visiting the UK but still being able to listen on iFollow

Ha, Ha that's rich coming from you Doofus, you have just admitted in another post that you are going to be attending  your one & only PFC match this season in a couple of weeks time.

It always amazes me at the several  PFC  followers on here who rarely if ever attend any live games (you can hardly call them fans as they rarely if ever attend games )  

They only watch matches on  ifollow or  listen on the radio yet feel obliged to give their  "expert" (sh!t) analysis of players & the match.

It is laughable in the extreme  Smile Smile
You’re perfectly at liberty to give us your superior first hand view of every game. Unfortunately, I don’t think you have anything of any intelligence to say. I don’t believe you actually see anything other than the highlights, given the scarcity of any relevant comments.

Of course, it’s perfectly understandable, given your close ties with Titchy/BA. They’re ex-professional 100 goals a season players, you know  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
.....I luv all this. Seven points clear and looking good for promotion back to the Championship and it's squabble city on here. Honestly, some posters could start an argument in a Buddhist retreat.
(04-03-2024, 10:21 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]I never give my analysis of a match unless I've seen it all. I was a season ticket holder for several years, before and through the fan owned years and out the other side. Name is on the list on the North Stand (twice), bought shares, bought Tifosy experiences, put my money towards saving the club, never expected it back.

These days other commitments and interests mean I can't go much so a season ticket is pointless. But I remain a member and it's always a joy to go the park.

Sorry I don't meet your superfan standards exterm but as I expect you know, I couldn't care what you think. Still, feel free to buy me a pint in the Victory Lounge.

‘Other interests and commitments’  Big Grin .

Now I know why you got so touchy about my joking comments to Cunning  Big Grin .
(05-03-2024, 07:54 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]You’re perfectly at liberty to give us your superior first hand view of every game. Unfortunately, I don’t think you have anything of any intelligence to say. I don’t believe you actually see anything other than the highlights, given the scarcity of any relevant comments.

Of course, it’s perfectly understandable, given your close ties with Titchy/BA. They’re ex-professional 100 goals a season players, you know  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Why should I give any " superior first hand view of every game" - firstly I don't go to every game ( but go a a hell of a lot more than you and your fellow armchair experts) secondly I wouldn't dream of pontificating on a narrow angle TV view of match or base it on a commentary by someone else.

Ha, Ha I met BA many years ago when one of my sons was playing junior football. I don't believe he is " Titchy" - really close ties there - not !!

Hope you're enjoying life amongst the " Surrender Monkeys" you must fit in very very well. Keep enjoying & puking on  their sh!t food & drink & driving about in that reliable Citroen 2CV - no wonder you don't get over here often  Big Grin
(05-03-2024, 10:11 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2024, 10:21 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]I never give my analysis of a match unless I've seen it all. I was a season ticket holder for several years, before and through the fan owned years and out the other side. Name is on the list on the North Stand (twice), bought shares, bought Tifosy experiences, put my money towards saving the club, never expected it back.

‘Other interests and commitments’  Big Grin .

Now I know why you got so touchy about my joking comments to Cunning  Big Grin .

I honestly have no idea what you are getting so amused about.

Well rounded individuals often have many interests and ordinary members of society without the luxury of being retired also have commitments, work based and voluntary. Why this amuses you goodness only knows.

It's possible to live a full and happy life  without being all consumed by Pompey from dawn til dusk.

But if you insist, I'll have a pint from you in the Victory Lounge as well.
I didn't attend the game Saturday as I recently purchased a property in New York, so most of my time has been spent there. I gave my season ticket to someone else a little while ago.

However I have seen the highlights from Saturday and we were 2nd best by some distance; we really aren't convincing. 

All that matters is winning though.

Unless we improve, we aren't going to get wins against the likes of Blackpool, Peterborough, Derby, Bolton and Barnsley.
Yeah I couldn't make it 'cos I has having tea with Charlie at Buckingham House.
Any other good excuses?
Pages: 1 2