TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Favourite goals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After watching Pompey for nearly 50 years I have many goals permanently etched into my memory but Saydee's on Saturday is right up there. It had everything. A comedy moment with the corner flag, a rare bit of good refereeing with the advantage, brilliant vision from Pack to spot Saydee's run, Saydee shrugging off the first challenge, riding over the second and then a great finish. It came from an unlikely but very likeable player in a game where we were up against it. It made the ground go wild and set up that incredible wall of sound ending
Off the top of my head...
Norris' 94th minute Scummers heartbreaker.
Mendes v Citeeh
Kanu's v AC Milan rather than Cup Final
Anderton FA Cup semi
Whittingham's record breaker v Bristol Rovers
David Kemp v Fulham in the Fratton End
Piper v Charlton (FA Cup 3rd round at The Valley)
Billy Wilson v Wimbledon Plough Lane
......and that Biley brace of course!

I know that I'm probably missing some really big goals off that list.
Bobby Kellard volley v Orient FA Cup 2nd replay Selhurst park 1974
It reminded me of Joe Devera's goal. Donkey doing the business. Fucking limbs!

19 secs in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0DMOwEmTrg
(06-03-2024, 03:50 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Off the top of my head...
Norris' 94th minute Scummers heartbreaker.
Mendes v Citeeh
Kanu's v AC Milan rather than Cup Final
Anderton FA Cup semi
Whittingham's record breaker v Bristol Rovers
David Kemp v Fulham in the Fratton End
Piper v Charlton (FA Cup 3rd round at The Valley)
Billy Wilson v Wimbledon Plough Lane
......and that Biley brace of course!

I know that I'm probably missing some really big goals off that list.
Great list. Maybe add Matty Taylor's
spectaular goal from near halfway line and near side line. Can't remember who it was against.
Everton
Matt Taylor against Leicesters in the championship is one of my favourites
Berger away at Charlton
Dalessandro away at Charlton
Mendes man city

Too 3 for me

Norris at scum massive goal but wouldn't be that arsed it wasn't against those kunts
A couple not mentioned. Chaplin's goal v Wycombe in the Cup at Fp. Ben Close scored a cracker v Tranmere in the Fe (apart from one other goal) that's all I remember him for. The Whitts goal v Bristol Rovers as above is the best though
Glenn Johnson scored a couple of crackers too
For me for pure drama Alan Bileys 2 goals in the last minute against Oxford at Christmas just edges it for me. Darren Andertons semi final goal is a very close second.
My favourite was Kevin Dillon's 45 yard volley in the Cup at Blackburn in 1988.

For some reason us Pompey fans were on the side of the ground and the ball was still rising as it hit the back of the net!

We won 2-1.
(06-03-2024, 07:39 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]My favourite was Kevin Dillon's 45 yard volley in the Cup at Blackburn in 1988.

For some reason us Pompey fans were on the side of the ground and the ball was still rising as it hit the back of the net!

We won 2-1.

Johnny Moore talks about it here (about a minute in):

Pompey Hall of Fame 2015: Kevin Dillon (youtube.com)

I've tried to find it over the years with no luck. It was astonishing!
LuaLua's 2nd - our fourth. When we sent the Scummers down. Happy days.
Darren Anderton's brace against Orient in a 2-0 FA cup game. The 2nd was a volley from the D that hit one post and crossed snd hit yhe other before going in, that was at the fratton end!
And Biley's 2 goals against Oxford Xmas eve to go top of the 2nd division.
Norris at scum for me, Was right on the netting separating us from them, They were giving it to us and Norris came up with that, Limbs, Crouch away at Guimaraes was up there as well for me.
Lots of great moments listed.

How about one from what could be a championship winning season?

Langs, v Oxford? Extraordinary.

I could be very generous and say Kamaras screamer but I’ve seen plenty equal to that.
Todorov against Burnley where he just ran in a circle before jumping into the fratton end!
Losing at home to Man City then last few minutes, an equaliser and then the winner, and as I recall, cannoned into the fratton end top corner by the immortal Pedro Mendes !
.... and talking about Kevin Dillon he did the same at Villa Park as i recall.
Here's two from Div four, October 1979. First up Joe Laidlaw at Huddersfield from just outside the box, 3-1 away win and a fine rendition of alouette. Next week home to Bradford Phil Ashworth chests the ball with back to the goal swivels and volleys into the back of the net. Then followed that up with a 2-0 home defeat to Newport the Tuesday after.
(07-03-2024, 07:40 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Lots of great moments listed.

How about one from what could be a championship winning season?

Langs, v Oxford? Extraordinary.

I could be very generous and say Kamaras screamer but I’ve seen plenty equal to that.
I agree with your Lang suggestion.  I think the keeper's fumble rather took attention away from the fact that it was a really well worked goal, from Rafferty's quick throw to Bishop's chest pass, Kamara's ball to Lang and his cool finish. 

Otherwise I recall a splendid effort by Dennis Edwards from out on the touchline against Northampton, I think, around 1967.  One of those players who some thought was terrible while others thought he was just too good for the rest of the team.
(07-03-2024, 06:33 PM)Port_stowe Wrote: [ -> ]Here's two from Div four, October 1979. First up Joe Laidlaw at Huddersfield from just outside the box, 3-1 away win and a fine rendition of alouette. Next week home to Bradford Phil Ashworth chests the ball with back to the goal swivels and volleys into the back of the net. Then followed that up with a 2-0 home defeat to Newport the Tuesday after.

Another Huddersfield one, Div 3, 1985, Kevin O' Callaghan.
(08-03-2024, 01:09 AM)SouthseaBubble Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2024, 06:33 PM)Port_stowe Wrote: [ -> ]Here's two from Div four, October 1979. First up Joe Laidlaw at Huddersfield from just outside the box, 3-1 away win and a fine rendition of alouette. Next week home to Bradford Phil Ashworth chests the ball with back to the goal swivels and volleys into the back of the net. Then followed that up with a 2-0 home defeat to Newport the Tuesday after.

Another Huddersfield one, Div 3, 1985, Kevin O' Callaghan.

I meant Div 2, of course.
(07-03-2024, 05:34 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Losing at home to Man City then last few minutes, an equaliser and then the winner, and as I recall, cannoned into the fratton end top corner by the immortal Pedro Mendes !

Your memory is half right.  

Mendes'  equaliser came with about half an hour to go, but the winner was in the last minute and that goal must be on this list because it kick-started the great escape.
Pages: 1 2