TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Team Today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Luck was against us today, on another day the two that hit the post might have gone in.
We've played like that for quite a few away games this season - Port Vale, Fleetwood and Carlisle spring to mind. In those and other games we've been tedious to watch and struggled to get over line, and only do so due to a goal from nowhere. Almost the same today. Instead, it was a fifth 0-0 away draw.

We might be hard to beat away but it comes at a price. Relying on a moments brilliance, and luck, to get 3 points us a dangerous game.

Mousinho seems afraid to go for it sometimes.
(09-03-2024, 05:09 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2024, 05:05 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Pompey bottled it today.

but what happened to that definite defeat you predicted ?

It was the referee's fault that Tithead was wrong - he sent one of theirs off otherwise of course, as ever, Tithead would have been spot on
To be perfectly fair, today was always going to be one of our toughest away games. Blackpool have one of the best home records in the Division. Only 2 Home defeats and 4 previous draws. It's always a disappointment when you don't win, especially against 10 men but would rather look at it as a point nearer promotion.
(09-03-2024, 06:10 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2024, 05:09 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

but what happened to that definite defeat you predicted ?

It was the referee's fault that Tithead was wrong - he sent one of theirs off otherwise of course, as ever, Tithead would have been spot on

It's a bit like forecasting snow every day. One day, it will snow and the forecaster will say, "I told you so."
Yeh, another game down and 7 points clear of 2nd. It's always going to boil down to those 4 massive games against Barnsley Bolton Derby and Peterborough
On paper a fine point. In the circumstances the champions didn't show up today, 2 points dropped.

It's the title I want.
While the Lang injury is far from ideal, we can play MPH in his more natural habitat of the Number 10 role and Saydee too. Lee Evans can't be far away now too so there is cover at CM.
The amount of injuries we have had is absolutely insane.
A whole team virtually

I thought you said we would lose? Bottled or not, that’s one more point towards the title. Fark Q.
I can't say much today, it was so exciting on the radio that I fell asleep
Probably an age thing Hammie
(09-03-2024, 06:18 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Yeh, another game down and 7 points clear of 2nd. It's always going to boil down to those 4 massive games against Barnsley Bolton Derby and Peterborough

Except we are 5 points clear of second (and 6 points clear of third)
We hit the post 3 times, we had 5 shots on target to their zero, and their keeper was deservedly MOTM. So not a bad day at the office away to a good team on a crappy pitch.
Need to press harder on Tuesday, and give Saydee and Yengi a bit more playing time.
(09-03-2024, 09:30 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]We hit the post 3 times, we had 5 shots on target to their zero, and their keeper was deservedly MOTM. So not a bad day at the office away to a good team on a crappy pitch.
Need to press harder on Tuesday, and give Saydee and Yengi a bit more playing time.

I notice none of those shots at goal were by Bishop. He’s really struggling to hit the scoresheet these days despite getting ample time on the pitch
(09-03-2024, 09:42 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2024, 09:30 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]We hit the post 3 times, we had 5 shots on target to their zero, and their keeper was deservedly MOTM. So not a bad day at the office away to a good team on a crappy pitch.

I notice none of those shots at goal were by Bishop. He’s really struggling to hit the scoresheet these days despite getting ample time on the pitch

Absolutely right. He works very hard even in defence, but he either needs someone with him more of the time, or to be taken off typically after 60 mins. I thought Saydee was awesome when he came on, so much strength and energy. That's one of our real strengths this season, even with all the injuries we still have a good bench.
(09-03-2024, 06:14 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]To be perfectly fair, today was always going to be one of our toughest away games. Blackpool have one of the best home records in the Division. Only 2 Home defeats and 4 previous draws. It's always a disappointment when you don't win, especially against 10 men but would rather look at it as a point nearer promotion.

Think most of us would have been satisfied with 0-0 this morning.
The sending off can be a benefit, but not always.
Blackpool resorted to throwing everyone behind the ball and defended well.

What's becoming clear is talk of low 90s point not being enough will probably be wrong.
Every week, one team or two teams slip up. 

Could be much worse, think of poor old Tich looking up at Leeds & Leicester? Big Grin
The width of a post was the difference yesterday but I am concerned about the number of draws we have on the board. You shouldn't be going over 12 for the season. It has been known to draw a few more and still go up automatically, but seldom does it work out like that.

Should have been daylight and a win yesterday. We will face sterner tests in the Championship each week. To be promoted we needed to be performing at the level above. For my money we were not doing so yesterday and against 10 men to boot.
(09-03-2024, 05:53 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2024, 03:47 PM)TiHKAL Wrote: [ -> ]Rhodes off! Elbow on Raffs

Looked innocuous  to me  though. And the reff was absolutely shite IMO   

If you thought the ref was shit just imagine how the Blackpool fans are feeling after that sending off!!
(09-03-2024, 06:09 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]We've played like that for quite a few away games this season - Port Vale, Fleetwood and Carlisle spring to mind. In those and other games we've been tedious to watch and struggled to get over line, and only do so due to a goal from nowhere. Almost the same today. Instead, it was a fifth 0-0 away draw.

We might be hard to beat away but it comes at a price. Relying on a moments brilliance, and luck, to get 3 points us a dangerous game.

Mousinho seems afraid to go for it sometimes.

Totally agree
(10-03-2024, 11:07 AM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]The width of a post was the difference yesterday but I am concerned about the number of draws we have on the board. You shouldn't be going over 12 for the season. It has been known to draw a few more and still go up automatically, but seldom does it work out like that.

Should have been daylight and a win yesterday. We will face sterner tests in the Championship each week. To be promoted we needed to be performing at the level above. For my money we were not doing so yesterday and against 10 men to boot.

The numbers of draws is not a problem at present IMO. No team has won more games than us in this league this season. As long as we still win plenty then it is absolutely fine. Performances haven't been as great for a while now which is more concerning.

I wouldn't read too much into it regarding our Championship (hopefully) campaign next season though. We'll be making improvements in the summer and have some absolutely key players back too.
Pages: 1 2 3