TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: In the Championship
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Given that it is 500/1 on that we will be in the Championship next season, after celebrating, the club has to commit to keeping Pompey there.

Therefore, what worries do you have about vital positions in the team that must be filled with a better player?

My main concern is the lack of a prominent striker, who of course, must be supported both wide and through the middle, depending on the resources the Moose will have. For me, Bishop holds the line well, but is not a typical striker that will succeed in a higher league. Kamara will be gone (? back to Norwich), so my worries lie in this area.

Any other concerns that people have, please let us know. Thx.  Huh Confused
In my opinion, we are going to need quite a few new heads in a lot of posistions to keep us up and be competitive. Think everyone can see that. Don’t want to come back down . I’m sure the club have targets in mind. Be a busy summer I think with a few going
(14-04-2024, 04:54 AM)Bedhamptonblue69 Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion, we are going to need quite a few new heads in a lot of positions to keep us up and be competitive. Think everyone can see that. Don’t want to come back down . I’m sure the club have targets in mind. Be a busy summer I think with a few going
I think I fundamentally disagree. First off, most of the current team & squad deserve the right to have a chance in the Championship. In addition we have Poole, Morrell, Lowry, McIntyre, White and hopefully Robertson (may even be Anjorin) all coming back to fitness. The last thing we need is to spend crazy money if it's not absolutely needed. We will almost certainly need a replacement for Karama (unless he puts Lane there with Sparkes on the left), and hopefully Pack has another year in him. We probably need a quality 3rd striker. Beyond that, I think we will be OK at least until the January transfer window. Even Raggett (who was MOTM again today) should have a chance to prove himself at the next level. For me, success next year will be (a) survival, (b) top half of bottom half, © bottom half of top half, ie consolidation. The time to spend money would then be the following year.
I'm not expecting a huge rebuild. The players brought in during the last couple of windows were with the Championship in mind and are believed to be capable of performing there. Maybe the loan targets will be of a higher quality but otherwise not expecting marquee signings.
We will need a few players to consolidate our place next season, which I think will be exciting to see. as a lot of pundits say it's a league where anyone can beat anyone. staying there will be our goal next season, in the meantime enjoy the ride! PUP
For me a new left Back, 2 wide players assuming Kamara goes back and a striker.
Definitely a left mid. Maybe another centre back with Towler going out on loan. It depends if the Mous will stick with the 4231 next season I guess. In deeper midfield we will be fine I think. We will need a couple of number 10 options, Robertson hopefully will be one of them. Otherwise I don't think we're a huge way short.
We bought young to improve, so the loans will be better if we get them back. Pace is always the bigger thing as you move up, Yengi has that, Saydee will keep improving.
The list of out of contract, that the News published was pretty much in two halve, the lower half, very few will stay.
IT is not written that Kamara will be a Norwich player next year.

As mentioned before Norwich have come with a very impressive run, and I believe will now WIN the playoffs.
Personally, I do not think Kamamra is yet a Premiership player. Norwich might like to keep him for the bench, or again let him go out on loan again to a higher league than this year - ie the Championship.

I would not write off Mr EISNER funding a very realistic offer for Kamara if that scenario fell into place. ME is a great pragmatist and well aware of the class of player we shall realistically need next season.
(14-04-2024, 08:47 AM)mike hunt Wrote: [ -> ]We will need a few players to consolidate our place next season, which I think will be exciting to see. as a lot of pundits say it's a league where anyone can beat anyone. staying there will be our goal next season, in the meantime enjoy the ride! PUP

I think anyone can beat anyone in this league too - after all, we only got one point against Bristol Rovers (now 15th) and Cheltenham (22nd). And our rivals have also dropped points unexpectedly. With the basis of our current squad, I wouldn't expect us to do an Ipswich, but neither do I think we'll do a Rotherham or a Wednesday.

I'm wondering if Conor Chaplin will be considered a Premier League level player if Ipswich make it. What do others think? If not, might he be worth looking at by us?  I know some say never go back, but sometimes it can pay off.
I think we are fine at centre back and Norris is fine for the championship

I really like Ogilve/rafferty but not quite sure they are both quite championship level.

Centre mid we are fine pack (new contract) morrell, moxon, evans (new contract)

May struggle with the wingers we have lane has had a drop of form since coming back from internationals could just be knackered

We will lose Kamara

Lang will be able to step up

Would love to see Lowe back free agent at the end of the season
Herbie lane is another Id like to see come in.
Jayden Dans on loan from Liverpool I’d like that!

But Huges and mous will get the job done in recruitment this summer
(14-04-2024, 11:18 AM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]I think we are fine at centre back and Norris is fine for the championship

I really like Ogilve/rafferty but not quite sure they are both quite championship level.

May struggle with the wingers we have lane has had a drop of form since coming back from internationals could just be knackered

We will lose Kamara

I agree with your assessment but can’t comment on Herbie Lane and Jayden Dans as I don’t know much about them. Lowe would be excellent if we could get him.

Lane is strange, he seems to have lost all his energy and awareness, he was like a lost soul at Bolton yesterday. Shame because he’s a good little player when he’s on his game. Apart from anything else I don’t think he’s got the physical presence required for the Championship. He looks like he needs a good feed up, maybe more pies are the answer  Big Grin .
Lane is championship quality all day long. He has suffered a bit personally due to our tactics of getting Kamara 1 on 1 with his defender. Means lane isn't given so much focus to perform his trademark raids. I have no doubt he will excel next year. 

I would say the following will need replacing next season as a priority:

Loans:
Anjorin
Kamara
Robertson

3 absolutely fantastic loans this year, will take some hard work to replace. 

Our own players I would let go/replace:
Norris - Sorry but i don't rate him. Appreciate this may be controversial.
Whyte
Scully 
Stevenson
Towler - Desperately needs to be playing. Maybe a loan?
Martin
Evans

That's a list of 10 players. + MPH. Plenty for Hughsey etc Al to be working on.
(14-04-2024, 11:47 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-04-2024, 11:18 AM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]I think we are fine at centre back and Norris is fine for the championship

We will lose Kamara

I agree with your assessment but can’t comment on Herbie Lane and Jayden Dans as I don’t know much about them. Lowe would be excellent if we could get him.

Lane is strange, he seems to have lost all his energy and awareness, he was like a lost soul at Bolton yesterday. Shame because he’s a good little player when he’s on his game. Apart from anything else I don’t think he’s got the physical presence required for the Championship. He looks like he needs a good feed up, maybe more pies are the answer  Big Grin .
Danns just a young striker tallent from Liverpool
Kane is a good player would be one of them transfer gambles that seem to of paid off this year
(14-04-2024, 01:26 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]

We will lose Kamara

Kane is a good player would be one of them transfer gambles that seem to of paid off this year
not sure we could afford Kane Big Grin
(14-04-2024, 02:16 PM)farq2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-04-2024, 01:26 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]

We will lose Kamara

not sure we could afford Kane Big Grin
Cheap scape eisners!
Cheap scape ???? 

And it's a no to Jamal Lowe from me, he's too old now (30 by the time the season starts) and has done nothing of note for three whole seasons now.  His main asset was his pace, can't see him still having that at his age.
Pace has gone. Think he will be non-league within 2 years
Back to his roots?
He always struck me as an honest lad and I bet he would play the level again without being too good for it. Fond memories of his time with us but they was then and this is now
(14-04-2024, 08:57 AM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]For me a new left Back, 2 wide players assuming Kamara goes back and a striker.

Why a new left back ?  Ogilvie has at least one more season in him.

His record this season is remarkable, we have not lost a match he has played in since March 2023 v Sheff Wed. The results in those games have been 

WWDWDDDWDDDWWWDDDWDWWDWWDWWWWDWWDWD
We have approx 10 out of contract in the summer don't we?
(14-04-2024, 05:05 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-04-2024, 08:57 AM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]For me a new left Back, 2 wide players assuming Kamara goes back and a striker.

Why a new left back ?  Ogilvie has at least one more season in him.

His record this season is remarkable, we have not lost a match he has played in since March 2023 v Sheff Wed. The results in those games have been 

WWDWDDDWDDDWWWDDDWDWWDWWDWWWWDWWDWD

Positionally I feel he gets caught out and his lack of pace let’s him down. But as always Deep it’s all about opinions.
If we change to a back three next season then Ogilvie would be a fine option as the left sided CB. If it is to continue to be a back 4 though then would though want someone else as a competitive option at least. Sparkes has done OK but may not be Championship level.
(14-04-2024, 05:23 PM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]We have approx 10 out of contract in the summer don't we?

Fifteen.
Pages: 1 2 3