TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: VAR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know League One officiating is bad but it doesn't get a whole lot better in the Premier League when the technology is there to help them. Nottingham Forest had three penalty shouts turned down today and at least two of them are definitely pens.
Not if you’re a hatter apparentlySmile
And today Coventry miss out on dumping a highly fortunate United by the width of a boot via VAR. Clinically offside for sure - but I'm not convinced the overall experience of VAR ensures greater fairness throughout a season. No going back of course.....
Agreed, it does appear that the big clubs are getting the big decisions. Apparently Forest pointed out before the match that the guy doing the VAR was a Luton fan. If true, could explain why they didn’t get any pens today.
Regarding the Coventry disallowed goal all you see is both players feet covered by the line. So to me it looks like he’s level with the united defender. Can’t see by what we were shown just how they can disallow it.
Makes you wonder if we all being played and the results are being controlled in favour of the big boys. Conspiracy anyone?
They say you should never attribute to conspiracy that which can adequately be explained by incompetence, but with things like the Forest game and that Coventry decision you start to wonder.
I must admit I'm thinking hard about whether I would bother to go and watch Pompey if we make it to the prem. VAR has taken even more authority away from ref on the pitch. Give him a screen pitch side. I certainly would not have an ST given VAR and Sky plus the other broadcasters and all the international breaks.
Glad it isn't just me Hammie.

I can't get on board with paying £850 for a ST and VAR wrecking games.

I will be fucking gutted if we get promoted to the PL in its current guise.
Regardless of the veracity of VAR - and it is not infallible - do we really want to watch football-by-slide-rule (old school) or to update the expression, football-by-spreadsheet? It is sucking all the joy out of our game. I have been through some heartbreaking moments with Pompey over 50 years but none that can compare with what Coventry fans went through yesterday.
My view is, yesterday we saw everything wrong with VAR.  The system needs improving.
How the 3rd Forrest appeal wasn't given is baffling and needs looking into.
The Coventry winner was very close from the replay.  When it's that close, who is given the benefit of the doubt?
(21-04-2024, 05:36 PM)Cliff Portwood gave me a lift Wrote: [ -> ]And today Coventry miss out on dumping a highly fortunate United by the width of a boot via VAR. Clinically offside for sure - but I'm not convinced the overall experience of VAR ensures greater fairness throughout a season. No going back of course.....

I think what summed up the FA Premier League Cave-in Cup (formerly fa cup) final decision was the speed at which they came in making their decision. Shall we have take our time like we usually do or do we want an all-manchester final.
I have suggested before that if the Premier Refs were as Confident and COMPETENT as those officiating in Rugby games all would be a lot clearer.

WE do not get to hear how "their" decisions are reached whereas in the Egg Chasing game EVERYONE knows what the Ref is Checking - Why and proven the reasons for his ultimate decision - I say again COMPETENCE!

And whilst bleating, I believe the Man United keeper moved before the ball was kicked for his saved penalty !
Maybe it's time to employ referees from overseas to avoid accusations of bias.
The bloke doing the VAR was a Luton fan, adjudicating on his own teams game?!? That’s disgraceful if true
(22-04-2024, 09:42 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]The bloke doing the VAR was a Luton fan, adjudicating on his own teams game?!? That’s disgraceful if true

A Luton fan adjudicating on a game that directly impacted his own team.
(22-04-2024, 07:38 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]I have suggested before that if the Premier Refs were as Confident and COMPETENT as those officiating in Rugby games all would be a lot clearer.

WE do not get to hear how "their" decisions are reached whereas in the Egg Chasing game EVERYONE knows what the Ref is Checking - Why and proven the reasons for his ultimate decision - I say again COMPETENCE!

And whilst bleating,  I believe the Man United keeper moved before the ball was kicked for his saved penalty !

I haven’t seen the penalty you mention but when you say he moved, do you mean he moved off his line?

The rule says the keeper must remain on the goal line facing the kicker, when the ball is kicked the keeper must have at least part of one foot touching, in line with, or behind, the goal line.

So the keeper is allowed to move, just not off his line.
(22-04-2024, 08:54 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe it's time to employ referees from overseas to avoid accusations of bias.
Christ no...we've not even got over Brexit.  Can you imagine the reaction if the home of the beautiful game let Johnny foreigner 'come over here' to make decisions that 'BRITISH' referees could do????!!  Cool
(22-04-2024, 02:01 PM)TiHKAL Wrote: [ -> ]
(22-04-2024, 08:54 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe it's time to employ referees from overseas to avoid accusations of bias.
Christ no...we've not even got over Brexit.  Can you imagine the reaction if the home of the beautiful game let Johnny foreigner 'come over here' to make decisions that 'BRITISH' referees could do????!!  Cool

Brexit? What Brexit? 

How can we get over it if we haven’t actually implemented it yet?  Big Grin
It happened Gaffer. Remember? You voted for it
Pitch side screen, 4 linos and a 4th official with a buzzer to let the ref know that he should have a quick look at the screen. That and bring the timekeeper forward, then time wasting would be a total waste of effort.
(22-04-2024, 03:38 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Pitch side screen, 4 linos and a 4th official with a buzzer to let the ref know that he should have a quick look at the screen. That and bring the timekeeper forward, then time wasting would be a total waste of effort.

Pitch side screen, 6 linos (one behind each goal), two officials with buzzers (in case one of them misses the incident), and a portable polygraph machine to deal with cheating divers. That should do it.
I can imagine how gutted those Cov fans felt yesterday. It was so close that you have to draw a fucking line across. If that happened to us I'd fuck the whole game off.
As regard diving and the rest we have probably benefited more from winning pens this season than conceding. As regards blatant time wasting and all the rest, Norris really hacks me off for that. If it came down to a 50/50 choice between him and an equally good keeper who did not fall in with current trend for creating a drinks break when he feels like it, I'd rather have the latter. Sometimes I rally hate what our game has turned into.
(22-04-2024, 06:48 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]As regard diving and the rest we have probably benefited more from winning pens this season than conceding. As regards blatant time wasting and all the rest, Norris really hacks me off for that. If it came down to a 50/50 choice between him and an equally good keeper who did not fall in with current trend for creating a drinks break when he feels like it, I'd rather have the latter. Sometimes I rally hate what our game has turned into.

Got to admit, regarding Norris, I've never felt happier with a goalkeeper's game-calming, seconds reducing, antics in the final minutes of tense games. He probably saved me a heart attack.
Gaffer , I reckon he moved forward from his line before the kick.

And Hammie I agree - when we enter the Championship we shall be a smaller fish in a larger pond of proficiency. I do not think our goalkeepers tactics will be abided too long at that level !
(23-04-2024, 08:23 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Gaffer , I reckon he moved forward from his line before the kick.

And Hammie I agree - when we enter the Championship we shall be a smaller fish in a larger pond of proficiency. I do not think our goalkeepers tactics will be abided too long at that level !

Just watched it again Firq and one of his feet was definitely on the line, so technically I reckon it was OK.

That’s the problem with these laws though, they are far too open to interpretation.

Which is great for football chat but not great for the game.
Pages: 1 2