TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Signings update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Deebo

I'll dust off me flares and buy a life jacket.
South Parade Pier before it was burnt down 1st time.
The barbers on Portsmouth station.
(26-07-2021, 02:35 PM)Trarchus Wrote: [ -> ]South Parade Pier before it was burnt down 1st time.

Yes I mentioned the concert hall on there, it was a great building.

If this was Germany they’d have rebuilt it to its former glory a bit like their cities after the war. You only have to look at Coventry, Plymouth and Pompey (to name but three) to see the pig’s ear we make of rebuilds.
Mr Clive in Charlotte St & the Charles Dickens.
(27-07-2021, 08:52 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Mr Clive in Charlotte St & the Charles Dickens.

The Palace cinema.
The Ritz, God’s port
Fairy Liquid in Commercial Rd fountain.
Writing abusive messages on the computers in WHSmiths
I'll combine a few of them of them and add another
Watching adverts for Mr Clive in the Odeon Southsea followed to go and eat at the Victory restaurant. I actually strolled along to the 'Diggers or on a posh family event along to the Plumhouse!

Oh and summer licencing hours giving us an extra pint or two as Southsea was officially a resort town.
(28-07-2021, 11:01 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I'll combine a few of them of them and add another
Watching adverts for Mr Clive in the Odeon Southsea followed to go and eat at the Victory restaurant. I actually strolled along to the 'Diggers or on a posh family event along to the Plumhouse!

Oh and summer licencing hours giving us an extra pint or two as Southsea was officially a resort town.
Excellent Hammie ? .

It was indeed a resort town, lots of hotels, b&b places, lots of girls coming down on holiday from up country. A great place to be young, no doubt about it.

I know people always say things were better when they were young, but in the case of Southsea it definitely WAS better back then.
(26-07-2021, 03:10 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-07-2021, 02:35 PM)Trarchus Wrote: [ -> ]South Parade Pier before it was burnt down 1st time.

If this was Germany they’d have rebuilt it to its former glory a bit like their cities after the war. You only have to look at Coventry, Plymouth and Pompey (to name but three) to see the pig’s ear we make of rebuilds.

Saw many live bands in the then Gaiety Gaff, completely covered on crushed red velvet and brass fitting and chandeliers. Unfortunately, it was mainly wood. 

The Pier was my first job on leaving school and was working on it when Ken Russell burnt it down.  Great place was never really any bother in the bars back then.  
(28-07-2021, 12:38 PM)Trarchus Wrote: [ -> ]

Saw many live bands in the then Gaiety Gaff, completely covered on crushed red velvet and brass fitting and chandeliers. Unfortunately, it was mainly wood. 

The Pier was my first job on leaving school and was working on it when Ken Russell burnt it down.  Great place was never really any bother in the bars back then.  

Ah, the Gaiety Showbar. Good memories indeed. Though would probably attract a different kind of crowd with a name like that today.
Wasn't Steve Kingsley the resident DJ there? And at The Palmerston.
On the rebuilt pier, I played in the Albert Tavern every Thursday night during the season (with my Brass Band).
Incidentally, as Southsea was a resort, my dad, who was a bus driver was not allowed any holiday in peak summer time. He used to work pretty much 7 days a week, raking in the overtime and paying for a week at Butlins last week of their season every year.
(28-07-2021, 01:59 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]

Ah, the Gaiety Showbar. Good memories indeed. Though would probably attract a different kind of crowd with a name like that today.
Wasn't Steve Kingsley the resident DJ there? And at The Palmerston.

Think he was in the Coral Reef and of course the place across the road (down the stairs) forgot the name.  He was pretty good.
(28-07-2021, 02:17 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]On the rebuilt pier, I played in the Albert Tavern every Thursday night during the season (with my Brass Band).
Incidentally, as Southsea was a resort, my dad, who was a bus driver was not allowed any holiday in peak summer time. He used to work pretty much 7 days a week, raking in the overtime and paying for a week at Butlins last week of their season every year.

Might be getting confused so many names those bars had,  Was the Albert up stairs?
(28-07-2021, 02:31 PM)Trarchus Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-07-2021, 02:17 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]On the rebuilt pier, I played in the Albert Tavern every Thursday night during the season (with my Brass Band).

Might be getting confused so many names those bars had,  Was the Albert up stairs?

at the far end of the pier, on the back of the main building. Where the big fish and chippy is now. Quite a job getting all our kit down there and back every week.
(28-07-2021, 02:33 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]

at the far end of the pier, on the back of the main building. Where the big fish and chippy is now. Quite a job getting all our kit down there and back every week.

Thanks, couldn't remember, there was a bar above that also.
(28-07-2021, 02:33 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]

I can remember a sort of Chas n Dave style act, Billy Bacardi, playing in there a lot in the summer
Under age drinking at the snooker club. Is it still there?

Used to love the odd pint of donkey dick in the horse shoe too. Was it a goth pub or just a coincidence the there were usually goths in there?
Pages: 1 2 3