TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Who here has proper football experience
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm talking about semi-pro or above for playing or a good level of coaching experience or coaching qualifications.

I myself played football until my mid 30s but at the lowest possible level where you still had a ref from the Hampshire F.A.

I would describe myself as enthusiastic rather than talented. No coaching qualifications at all and was never in a team as a kid so didn't get taught how to play. I enjoy the game as a spectator but I'll freely admit I'd be an unmitigated disaster as a manager as I just wouldn't be able to "read" the game.
In my yoof I played in the Northern Prem and the Eastern Counties, and even got selected for a few games for the RAF, but goodness knows how as I was atrocious as a player. By the time I met the girl who's still somehow my wife I'd pretty much lost interest in playing, so my spectacular non-league career was over by the age of 21. When I left the air force I played a couple of seasons in a regional league in the West Midlands, but the standard was so bad even Jonny Ertl and Carl Tiler could have got a regular place in any of the teams.
I managed a school team from the bottom of the B league to winning the double in the A league. And took another to the Pompey Cup final at Fratton Park. And all teams to the quarter finals of the Hampshire Cup on a regular basis. So clearly the Cowleys are missing out by not asking me for advice on a weekly basis. I would add a smiley but cannot work out how!
I was a pro when I lived in Amsterdam. Wasn't happy with the amount of red involved but I went down to National League wages when I swapped to blue surroundings.
(30-05-2022, 08:37 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I managed a school team from the bottom of the B league to winning the double in the A league. And took another to the Pompey Cup final at Fratton Park. And all teams to the quarter finals of the Hampshire Cup on a regular basis. So clearly the Cowleys are missing out by not asking me for advice on a weekly basis.  I would add a smiley but cannot work out how!

Definitely their loss.  Honestly, the answer could be staring them in the face but they just look right past don't they?!

(30-05-2022, 08:40 AM)JIMBON Wrote: [ -> ]I was a pro when I lived in Amsterdam. Wasn't happy with the amount of red involved but I went down to National League wages when I swapped to blue surroundings.

But doesn't being a pro in Amsterdam mean something entirely different to the OP?   Undecided
I played enthusiastically through my adult life rather than achieving much.

It was youth level where I had my best achievements, playing regularly in a side that won the Telford Junior league and cup double in 91/92, also reached Shropshire Cup final.

Our star player was David Johnson (of Ipswich and Forest fame, Brennan's Dad). The highlight was, as a Sunday Junior league side, invited to play Shrewsbury Town Youth Side in a friendly, where we achieved a credible 2-2 draw, (Johnson scored twice, I assisted one of them).

Had trials with Telford and Shrewsbury, but compared to others I was Pants.
Played for my school second XI ;-)
East Berks League Division 7. A very tough league, it included the Broadmoor Hospital team that had to play all its games at home.
I tried out for the seventh string of University of Portsmouth. I paid my joining fee, underperformed in the trial and wasn't selected. Something about running around like a headless chicken chasing the ball with my head down, bla bla bla. Coonts kept my £25 though didn't they
I was a football referee up to Southern League linesman level (Western League referee). Unfortunately I was the ref who needed glasses and couldn't get on with contact lenses so was not allowed any further up the ladder
My dad used to train referees - total beginners, about four at a time, the dining room table had a felt pitch laid out on it. Some of those blokes were absolute total dins. Tragic really.

I played alongside Brett Angel in a local boys club - I think I may have been about eight or nine. That was my peak.
(30-05-2022, 12:03 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]I was a football referee up to Southern League linesman level (Western League referee). Unfortunately I was the ref who needed glasses and couldn't get on with contact lenses so was not allowed any further up the ladder

should have not worn your glasses and blagged it! 
I had similar problems including reffing a school game losing the light in a sleet storm at Mountbatten, glasses fogging up, both teams in green and yellow kits but playing to a deadline so we had to get on with it!
I wasn't able to start playing until 17 as I had to play rugby at school. Captained Chichester College 2nd X1, played for Crawley College 2nd X1 at places like Ford prison where we got hammered! Trialled at Kingston Poly didn't make it then played for Radio Victory where I sorted out kit sponsorship. Not at any serious level but very enjoyable including a behind closed doors game against Frank Burrows backroom staff at F.P.
I have the pace of Akinfenwa, the first touch of John Marquis, and composure of Raggett. Needless to say I didn't get very far at any level but played for the love of the game. I ran for West Sussex County as a kid though. 

My father in law has a few Scotland caps and played for Rangers in the 70's. Hopefully my boy gets some of his mothers sides sporting genes!

Deebo

Played for several local league sides in the IoW, Pompey, London and the Cotswolds. Highlights were several Sunday morning pastings in Parkhurst and losing one game 27-0 playing for the village club’s reserves with 8 men against a team top of the league 5 divisions higher in a cup game. Also lost for the same side 17-1 after we scored first. I never lost my enthusiasm or belief though ... :-)
Ran a football team at work, we were no more than average. But heard a rumour that a friend of mine (Alex James, lead guitarist of Blur) had once played for stripy's reserves, so asked him to guest for us. He played several times for us, was OK as CB but no more than OK. Turns out the rumour had an error, it was his landlord before he found fame and fortune that played for the lot down the road, not Alex ?
I played over 300 games in whats now referred to as league 2 as a striker, and the rest in the conference. Never got a chance in a higher league.
I never managed anything beyond Sunday morning stuff but my dad played for Pompey's youth team in the 40's.
Raggett seems quite composed to me
(30-05-2022, 07:32 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]I played over 300 games in whats now referred to as league 2 as a striker, and the rest in the conference. Never got a chance in a higher league.

You must have been a very good player, who did you play for?
I had trials for Hampshire schools in early 80s . Played regularly for several Sunday league teams in Havant Sunday , Portsmouth Sunday and dockyard league for a fair few years . As a striker I regularly hit 20 a season . Then the legs went and ended up in defence !!! Have been involved in kids football for a few seasons but now just a watching dad . Always thought I could have partnered mark Hateley back in the day !!!!
My nephew's done the academy circuit: Chelsea, Wycombe, QPR, loads of others - its tough on the mums. Was a scholar at QPR but released after two seasons, now plays for the National League (or Southern, I forget which) but has a thriving business coaching 10-yr olds - has got a few into academies and still coaches with QPR.
I think Blue Army wins this thread ! 

Now we have just got to work out who is he is.
Played football to no level whatsoever. As a consequence I know fuck-all about the game.

Except on a Saturday afternoon!!
(31-05-2022, 06:30 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]Played football to no level whatsoever. As a consequence I know fuck-all about the game.

Except on a Saturday afternoon!!

just like the rest of us! 
I always presumed you must have been a keeper
Pages: 1 2 3