TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Jimmy Dickinson statue crowdfunder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Pls get involved
(19-07-2022, 11:20 AM)Pompeyloyal Wrote: [ -> ]Pls get involved

Waste of money. We all know it'll look like skums Milan mandaric statue.
(19-07-2022, 11:53 AM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-07-2022, 11:20 AM)Pompeyloyal Wrote: [ -> ]Pls get involved

Waste of money. We all know it'll look like skums Milan mandaric statue.

Knightsie played more games
Dickinson - A proper Legend!
as is Knightsie
(19-07-2022, 12:47 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]as is Knightsie

Knowing Knightsie I think he would be a little embarrassed being mentioned in the same breath as someone who played for Pompey in the First Division for 13 seasons, won two titles and played numerous times for England but would be happy to contribute to a statue for both.
Id rather name a stand after each of them.
A knight statue would have to have a fag in his mouth
I don't get the Knight-adulation.

Sure, he played a great many times, but people forget the frequent close-seasons when he put in transfer requests and no-one came in for him.

And, while I'm here, his distribution was shite!

"A knight statue would have to have a fag in his mouth" - and a pint in his hand.
I hope the statue actually looks like the bloke it’s supposed to represent and not Milan Mandaric like a certain other statue supposedly representing Ted Bates. Bates was a ‘legend’ of the trophy shy club on the west end of the M27 if you weren’t aware
(19-07-2022, 01:56 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get the Knight-adulation.

Sure, he played a great many times, but people forget the frequent close-seasons when he put in transfer requests and no-one came in for him.

And, while I'm here, his distribution was shite!

"A knight statue would have to have a fag in his mouth" - and a pint in his hand.

his thing about transfer requests was based on the simple premise that loyal players lost lost out on signing on fees and all the rest. 

I don't recall his distribution being worse or better than the usual expected of keepers back then. When he took over from Mellor he was regarded as much better in that respect.
As someone who began their Pompey following in the 80s, its hard to get behind the clamour for this statue. I feel like I missed Jim by a generation. I don't mean to be impertinent.

Knight was a one club legend but do we venerate him with a statue? I am not sure about that one.
(19-07-2022, 01:25 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Id rather name a stand after each of them.

Jimmy Dickinson stand is a good idea.
(19-07-2022, 02:17 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]As someone who began their Pompey following in the 80s, its hard to get behind the clamour for this statue. I feel like I missed Jim by a generation.  I don't mean to be impertinent.

Knight was a one club legend but do we venerate him with a statue? I am not sure about that one.

I don't see why it is hard to get behind Jimmy Dickinson just because he was a previous generation. You can read about the history of the club and his role in it to see why he is worthy of a statue.  One that is long overdue. 

Knight may the second most famous long servant of the club , but he is a long way second to Dickinson in stature, and a long way short of being statue material.
(19-07-2022, 02:32 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-07-2022, 02:17 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]As someone who began their Pompey following in the 80s, its hard to get behind the clamour for this statue. I feel like I missed Jim by a generation.  I don't mean to be impertinent.

I don't see why it is hard to get behind Jimmy Dickinson just because he was a previous generation. You can read about the history of the club and his role in it to see why he is worthy of a statue.  One that is long overdue. 

Knight may the second most famous long servant of the club , but he is a long way second to Dickinson in stature, and a long way short of being statue material.

Could always vote him Voice of the year? Big Grin

Nothing against Jimmy but we already have him in the Fritton end. And 99% of football statues are shite.
(19-07-2022, 06:56 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

Nothing against Jimmy but we already have him in the Fritton end. And 99% of football statues are shite.

Are they ?  The Bobby Moore at Wembley is very good, as are all the Arsenal ones at the Emirates.   There have been a few disasters like Ted Bates, and Ronaldo at that airport, but on the whole they are pretty good.
(19-07-2022, 01:25 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Id rather name a stand after each of them.

Fully agree. Fratton end after Knight as he defended that end so many times  and South Stand (home of PFC) after the true legend that was and still is Jimmy D
I think Knight defended the Milton End just as much
I think he would be more chuffed if they named the bar after him than any stand.
(20-07-2022, 01:28 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I think he would be more chuffed if they named the bar after him than any stand.

beat me to it
I was going to suggest his favourite seat in the Rifle Club!
£43,979 now in the pot

£150,000 the target folks
Is it just me that thinks 150k is a hell of a lot for one statue ?
(21-07-2022, 07:43 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Is it just me that thinks 150k is a hell of a lot for one statue ?

What’s it being made out of? Does seem an awful lot but I guess it depends on the material, the size and the quality of the artist being employed.
We could sign another goalie for that.
Pages: 1 2 3