TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Gillingham
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With this nonsense game in a nonsense comp coming up on Tuesday and probably 10 changes at least, what should our starting XI be? I'll hazard a guess at

Schofield 

Swanson         Raggs           Towler                       Hume

Stevenson    Devlin

Whyte                            Anjorin                    Mottoh

Yengi

That would be if they don't feature any of the loanees in this game of course. I wouldn't mind seeing Ogilvie get 15 minutes.
Almost all of those players need match time. With no reserve league, this cup fulfills a really useful role.
It also allows those who cannot afford a load of season tickets together to go as a family or group. They cannot do that for league games as we rarely have more than single seats left as a game approaches.
Any kids who went to the Exeter cup game will have been hooked for life.
Or those that went to the final. (The one we won!)
(07-10-2023, 06:16 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Or those that went to the final. (The one we won!)

Annoyingly could not do that one.
Had tickets with the grandchildren for the one that Covid mullered.
With no game next Saturday JM could field a strong team to keep them match fit
(07-10-2023, 06:04 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Almost all of those players need match time. With no reserve league, this cup fulfills a really useful role.
It also allows those who cannot afford a load of season tickets together to go as a family or group. They cannot do that for league games as we rarely have more than single seats left as a game approaches.
Any kids who went to the Exeter cup game will have been hooked for life.

Yes I was being a bit glib calling it a nonsense game. It does give some game time to players who need it but in the midst of a serious promotion contending season when we've already been there and won it this is largely an irrelevance.
(07-10-2023, 05:27 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]With this nonsense game in a nonsense comp coming up on Tuesday and probably 10 changes at least, what should our starting XI be? I'll hazard a guess at

Schofield 

Stevenson    Devlin

Yengi

That would be if they don't feature any of the loanees in this game of course. I wouldn't mind seeing Ogilvie get 15 minutes.

That is still a pretty strong team. Speaks well for the depth of our squad.
(07-10-2023, 05:27 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]With this nonsense game in a nonsense comp coming up on Tuesday and probably 10 changes at least, what should our starting XI be? I'll hazard a guess at

Schofield 

Stevenson    Devlin

Yengi

Isn’t Devlin in the Irish under 21 squad
(07-10-2023, 09:44 PM)Cowespompey Wrote: [ -> ]

Schofield 

Stevenson    Devlin

Yengi

Isn’t Devlin in the Irish under 21 squad

Oh shit yeah. That game is on the Thursday so no way he plays this one on the Tuesday.
Got my tickets to see the "B" team.
Ah, B team.
Those were the days.
Yes, but the " Stiffs " aren't so stiff these days - all raring to go, as was proved beautifully on Saturday afternoon !
(07-10-2023, 06:24 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-10-2023, 06:16 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Or those that went to the final. (The one we won!)

Annoyingly could not do that one.
Had tickets with the grandchildren for the one that Covid mullered.

Still got the WEMBLEY 2020 t-shirt somewhere - I think it shows the exact date it didn't happen so it'd probably worth something as a novelty in years to come... if about 60,000 of them weren't finally shifted for a few pence.

I agree the tournament is a good opportunity for run-outs and for family attendance, but only if it isn't allowed to become a first team distraction if we progress.
So we don’t want the chance to win a cup then?

But if we have the chance to win a trophy then we can’t possibly get promotion?

If we do progress in a cup competition, what stage should we lose? The semi (against Scum, perhaps)?

At what point does a cup run become a distraction for the first team?

At what stage should first team players be introduced, or should they not be allowed to play in cup games?

Who wants to lose any game?

What is the point of any competition????
(09-10-2023, 07:30 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]So we don’t want the chance to win a cup then?

I totally agree with that   Wink
If we do get promoted, the chances of us going to Wembley again any time soon is pretty remote.
So all the time we have a virtually full second team available and needing match time, then go for it!
TBH I want to win a trophy but I don’t give a fuck about this one. It’s only use IMO Is giving fringe players a run out
(09-10-2023, 07:30 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]So we don’t want the chance to win a cup then?

If we do progress in a cup competition, what stage should we lose? The semi (against Scum, perhaps)?

At what stage should first team players be introduced, or should they not be allowed to play in cup games?

You were deffo around cunni when Kenny exhausted the squad and went all out for the cups. It takes a tremendously strong squad to go for both. It's much more difficult to win the league if you are in the dogsh;t trophy playing a 60+ game season.

That being said, I do love an fa cup run. It's the only one really worth going for.
(09-10-2023, 10:30 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]

You were deffo around cunni when Kenny exhausted the squad and went all out for the cups. It takes a tremendously strong squad to go for both. It's much more difficult to win the league if you are in the dogsh;t trophy playing a 60+ game season.

That being said, I do love an fa cup run. It's the only one really worth going for.
Have we got a tremendously strong squad, Peds?

I would argue that promotion merely staves off mediocrity for one season (albeit in a different league). Scummers are the living proof of previous success in climbing the leagues (and staying at the top for extended periods) but having a boring trophy free existence. Few outside a clubs supporters remember a promotion but when they look down the list of a clubs honours and trophies……..

Of course, I’m just provoking debate.  Smile
I expect Kenny will have Gillingham going flat out in this trophy.
There are far too many cup competitions in various stupid formats. For the top 4 divisions the F.A. Cup and League Cup are all that are needed. F.A. Trophy and Vase for lower leagues.

They should all be knockout, F.A. Cup as is, one leg with one replay, League Cup 2 legs until final.

F.A. Cup semis should be in regional neutral stadiums, Wembley is for finals only.

League 3 and 4 don't need the EFL Trophy, stupid not needed competition.
At the end of the day, and as JM has said, we have the comfort of the International break coming up. I would suggest therefore that we should look to win this match and continue our magnificent run.
The last thing we would need is the Psychological burden of losing our commendable cord to a 4th tier team.
I'm all for chasing trophies but this one is such a miniscule priority. Just play a second/third string side all the way through and if it is good enough to get to Wembley then reassess. It can disrupt promotion chasing seasons, last year I felt Bolton lost a bit of league momentum with their run.
Shit trophy, not worth the effort or toil, we’ve won it once and nobody gave or gives a toss. FACup and League Cup every thing else is a distraction. If the kids want a day out take them to Thorpe Park.
Think it's worth it for keeping the squad sharp. Don't play any first teamers though
Pages: 1 2 3