TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Is a red card appeal worth the risk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With two thirds of the season gone is it worth risking a red card appeal for McIntyre? 16 games remaining and should the appeal fail the penalty can go up to 4 games, so a quarter of those left.

Bit of a lottery as the increase is done if the claim is deemed frivolous which is a vague term at best.
It's worth the risk, otherwise we will have to play Raggett
He's done pretty well in the 29 games he's played this season. We have one of the best defensive records. Can only remember one goal where he could have said to be at fault and that is debatable (Oxford's second).
Down to the injury, perhaps?

Sean will step in against Carlisle, Cambridge and Reading just fine, so maybe annoyingly it ain't worth it.

If McIntyre is to partner Shaughnessy then 3 games out won't help that.
I don't think Mcintyre is injured.

He had an impact on the ankle but everything post match was precautionary.
If he was to miss one or two through injury then not worth it but I agree it’s only likely to be bruising and so should be available by next weekend. Having watched it several times from 2 angles and seen the still of the moment of tackle I cannot see how a panel couldn’t overturn the red. It’s a hard firm tackle, takes the ball cleanly and no studs up. That said the refs union will probably stick together. IMO appeal though to show unity behind the unfortunate player..
Certainly not a frivolous appeal,  the challenge does not look dangerous or 'out of control', however, a very big call on whether to risk it.  

Having said that RAGS has been doing fine and will not let us down.

And, before any negative comments Premiership players also make awful errors ....... ask Jurgen !!!
Absolutely need to appeal on principle. Why plead guilty when you're innocent? Awful decision, not even borderline
although both players came out of it injured. one with a gash and blood, the other with a whack to the soft tissue
If he isn't eligible to play then no downside for us then and maybe not worth the admin then. Depends if he is injured for a week, two or three
(05-02-2024, 01:43 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]although both players came out of it injured. one with a gash and blood, the other with a whack to the soft tissue

I don't see much difference to when two players are challenging for the ball in the air and both sustain cuts to the head. 
That's potentially dangerous, but not classed as dangerous play.  Football is a contact sport, players can get cuts and bruises.

The ref is supposed to be able to distinguish between unavoidable and avoidable.

Looking at the Iplayer footage, what was telling in this case the player was holding his knee, even their commos stated at the time the tackle was high (it wasn't) because of the player's actions.  Then changed their tune on seeing the replay to some other crap.  Yet apparently he's got a gash on his lower shin. Something the ref failed to notice. 

The player then got up, not even limping, and played the rest of the game with no blood in sight and no further first aid.   

Strange eh? Big Grin
Of course it’s worth it because it is always worth standing up against wrong decisions.

If everyone just caved in to crap decisions (in all walks of life), it might be easier in the short term but everything just gets worse.

People must stand up for their beliefs, if they don’t they will be trampled on.
In days of yore, when we tied the laces on our football boots only after passing them beneath the instep, our sports/football master - who played for left half back for Cambridge City in the old Southern League - would have awarded me six house points for that tackle !!
Bloody right!

I’m glad you’ve stopped wasting your time talking nonsense! That’s twice I’ve agreed with you today.

Plus, you’re far less likely to flounce from this board.

I couldn’t agree more with Gaff. The minute you stop jumping up and down and complaining about wrong doings, they’ll take further liberties. I couldn’t give a flying fuck if they deem it right to give him a fourth weeks ban. It would be time to scream even louder and make them look totally stupid. Replay after replay, get the press involved, etc.
On McIntyre, surely it depends on whether he is fit. If he's going to miss a few games because of injury, then no point in appealing. But given that we seem to have a good case then surely it is worth appealing. If we lose the appeal, we lose one extra game from him. If we win the appeal, we gain three games from him. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
Is it worth the risk?
It wasn't a red card! Simples

From that point of view, yes it's worth the risk.
If he is injured, then no it's not worth it.
He'll be back in 3 games ready to go!!
There has been some success in appealing red cards this season, although they are scarce. Derby, Exeter and Oxford have done. There are not that many appeals.
Southend failed as did Darlington with no extra penalty.

One suspects clubs consult refereeing experts before launching one. If we haven't heard by now about it then I guess the club won't be pursuing it.
(06-02-2024, 11:51 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]There has been some success in appealing red cards this season, although they are scarce. Derby, Exeter and Oxford have done. There are not that many appeals.
Southend failed as did Darlington with no extra penalty.

One suspects clubs consult refereeing experts before launching one. If we haven't heard by now about it then I guess the club won't be pursuing it.

The whole thing is a scam to look like refs have accountability when they obviously don't. They slap a five figure administration fee and threaten more games off if you dare to appeal.

I think they should but judging by the decision to uphold morrells sending off against Oxford last season it won't work. The current climate is all about backing the ref.
Surely Rugby is a far more technical game, very many rules, and the potential for lots more contentious decisions.

However, watching Rugby the REFs sem to apply the rules pretty much in accord with fans thoughts, and everyone in the ground know what is happening in real time with their TMO.

At our paupers level VAR and TMO apart - Why do our league ONE officials make such a pigs ear of it ??
No point appealing it because he’s broken his ankle
(06-02-2024, 06:10 PM)Cowespompey Wrote: [ -> ]No point appealing it because he’s broken his ankle

Source ?    If true, it's incredible bad luck - apparently he fractured his skull on his Reading debut.
(06-02-2024, 06:41 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2024, 06:10 PM)Cowespompey Wrote: [ -> ]No point appealing it because he’s broken his ankle

Source ?    If true, it's incredible bad luck - apparently he fractured his skull on his Reading debut.

Bloody hell! Are we sure he was sourced by Richard Hughes and not Howard Carter?
He’ll be reluctant to leave us then!
Reported in the News now
It’s still worth appealing it because it was a totally incorrect decision.
Pages: 1 2 3