TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The January Window
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(17-01-2024, 12:31 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn’t matter who the striker is (we’ve already got one of the best in the league), if they don’t get service then they aren’t going to score many.

I just hope next time he does score he actually celebrates the goal rather than cup his ears to the crowd again. That made me not like the bloke
According to Mous this afternoon, nothing happening on the transfer front right now. Spoke about the whole process being slowed by various issues affecting Prem teams. May of course be keeping cards very close to his chest but more likely we'll see any arrivals late in the window.
(17-01-2024, 04:59 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Whoever we put in the ten position, not one of ours can score goals with any regularity or shoot from outside the box.
That would be as ever our number one need.
Even if our ‘number 10’ rarely or never scores if he can make goals for others and become a focal point of our attacks then he’s done his job. But ultimately yes you would like the bloke to be like Messi and both provide and score in abundance but this is League One so having a player like that usually isn’t an option as teams from higher levels would come in and take him away from us
I hope we're bidding for Blackett-Taylor, I understand Derby have bid for him. He's exactly the sort of player we need to be recruiting.
(17-01-2024, 05:21 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]According to Mous this afternoon, nothing happening on the transfer front right now.  Spoke about the whole process being slowed by various issues affecting Prem teams.  May of course be keeping cards very close to his chest but more likely we'll see any arrivals late in the window.

Sounds like no money available and at best a loan or two.
(17-01-2024, 06:08 PM)Slagger Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-01-2024, 05:21 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]According to Mous this afternoon, nothing happening on the transfer front right now.  Spoke about the whole process being slowed by various issues affecting Prem teams.  May of course be keeping cards very close to his chest but more likely we'll see any arrivals late in the window.

Sounds like no money available and at best a loan or two.

Why does it sound like no money available ??    No-one has said anything that sounds like that.  Quite the opposite, as in the last window.
Its a very clear knock on, domino affect. We want the players that other teams let go, so have to wait until players come into their club and then others move on. Free agents at this stage of the season won't be match fit for a month or more.
(17-01-2024, 06:06 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]I hope we're bidding for Blackett-Taylor, I understand Derby have bid for him. He's exactly the sort of player we need to be recruiting.

Derby wanted him end of last season & have supposedly bid £250K recently & turned down.

So if we want him they need to come up with some cash.
Tariqe Fosu is a rumour, ex-brentford now a free agent so not window dependant but probably expensive wage-wise.
(17-01-2024, 08:46 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-01-2024, 06:06 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]I hope we're bidding for Blackett-Taylor, I understand Derby have bid for him. He's exactly the sort of player we need to be recruiting.

Derby wanted him end of last season & have supposedly bid £250K recently & turned down.

So if we want him they need to come up with some cash.

It’s almost certain that the most obvious targets will be sought after by more than one club. There would obviously be no need for a rush to accept the first offers that come through the door. In addition, just because a certain club wants a particular player, it doesn’t follow that that player wants to go to the bidding club.
Nearly all clubs need strikers at this time of the year, so who will be available to us for small money isn't going to change much. Better to look for a creative midfielder, but these don't come cheap either. Our present strike force, for a club presently at the top, seems very very weak to me. When was the last time that the opposition keeper was seriously troubled from any shot from the edge of the box? I cannot remember any? Undecided
Robertson had a few, but you’re right, it doesn’t happen very often.
(18-01-2024, 03:54 AM)raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com Wrote: [ -> ]Nearly all clubs need strikers at this time of the year, so who will be available to us for small money isn't going to change much. Better to look for a creative midfielder, but these don't come cheap either. Our present strike force, for a club presently at the top, seems very very weak to me. When was the last time that the opposition keeper was seriously troubled from any shot from the edge of the box? I cannot remember any? Undecided

Doesn't matter how good the striker is if the opponent has worked out how to stop the crosses (our only real form of attack). It's no coincidence that as teams have started to defend the crosses better and stop the deliveries, the chances that come Bishop's way have diminished. He's back to feeding off scraps. Kamara is so close to being what we need but he just cannot handle the pressure of delivering the final ball and we do well to get 45 mins out of him until he starts to disappear.

Shots on goal are also so rare that when Morrell took one a few weeks ago it actually stunned me! So if you're not renowned for shooting on goal then that's another outlet that has been snuffed out. Daft as we've seen what Pack can do from afar.

The worry I have is that waiting until the end transfer window (and I have heard the reasons) will have seen us complete six fixtures - almost a third of the remaining fixtures - with a team that have run out of steam and been found out big style. I just can't imagine this club paying a six figure fee - let alone successfully outbidding anybody. It still feels like we're feeding on scraps. Maybe there's another girlfriend that's moved down south so we sign him??

Anyway, got to beat Fleetwood or we really are fecked.
Exactly agree with that.
(18-01-2024, 09:36 AM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-01-2024, 03:54 AM)raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com Wrote: [ -> ]Nearly all clubs need strikers at this time of the year, so who will be available to us for small money isn't going to change much. Better to look for a creative midfielder, but these don't come cheap either. Our present strike force, for a club presently at the top, seems very very weak to me. When was the last time that the opposition keeper was seriously troubled from any shot from the edge of the box? I cannot remember any? Undecided

Doesn't matter how good the striker is if the opponent has worked out how to stop the crosses (our only real form of attack). It's no coincidence that as teams have started to defend the crosses better and stop the deliveries, the chances that come Bishop's way have diminished. He's back to feeding off scraps. Kamara is so close to being what we need but he just cannot handle the pressure of delivering the final ball and we do well to get 45 mins out of him until he starts to disappear.

Shots on goal are also so rare that when Morrell took one a few weeks ago it actually stunned me! So if you're not renowned for shooting on goal then that's another outlet that has been snuffed out. Daft as we've seen what Pack can do from afar.

The worry I have is that waiting until the end transfer window (and I have heard the reasons) will have seen us complete six fixtures - almost a third of the remaining fixtures - with a team that have run out of steam and been found out big style. I just can't imagine this club paying a six figure fee - let alone successfully outbidding anybody. It still feels like we're feeding on scraps. Maybe there's another girlfriend that's moved down south so we sign him??

Anyway, got to beat Fleetwood or we really are fecked.

Definitely need to take more shots at goal we never work the keeper enough.
This hasn’t just happened though has it. We have been without a decent strike force with pace for a few seasons now. We have done remarkably well to be where we are in the table all things considered.

Obviously movement in the window is slow and this year’s Africa Cup and Asia Cup has added to that. However, targets like Clarke-Harris, Blackett-Taylor and Ennis are probably available for the right price.
In the past we have missed out to Peterborough and the likes, who have an annoying habit of securing the services of our potential targets, Mason-Clarke for instance. Amazing for a club with an average attendance of around 10,000.

In spite of this, I can’t help feeling more than a little disappointed that we haven’t managed to sign anybody for the required areas yet. I’m sure RH had potential targets from well before the window opened. It’s just a little hard to believe they are all tied up and won’t move until any action from premier league clubs. Have we actually got anybody scouting in European/Asian/African/USA markets?

So it’s the 18th January Today and we have been told that not only will no new faces be here by the weekend but probably not for at least another 10 days. That will leave us just 3 days of the window to presumably pursue our targets, but don’t worry none of them have gone anywhere yet. Really, so just like recent performances on the pitch, we don’t appear to have a plan B if they do go elsewhere, or won’t have hardly any time to deliver it.

Let’s hope it’s all a smoke screen and the necessary signings are in place sooner rather than later. Otherwise by the end of the next three away games we might not even be in a playoff spot.?
(18-01-2024, 02:05 PM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]This hasn’t just happened though has it. We have been without a decent strike force with pace for a few seasons now. We have done remarkably well to be where we are in the table all things considered.

Obviously movement in the window is slow and this year’s Africa Cup and Asia Cup has added to that. However, targets like Clarke-Harris, Blackett-Taylor and Ennis are probably available for the right price.
In the past we have missed out to Peterborough and the likes, who have an annoying habit of securing the services of our potential targets, Mason-Clarke for instance. Amazing for a club with an average attendance of around 10,000.

In spite of this, I can’t help feeling more than a little disappointed that we haven’t managed to sign anybody for the required areas yet. I’m sure RH had potential targets from well before the window opened. It’s just a little hard to believe they are all tied up and won’t move until any action from premier league clubs. Have we actually got anybody scouting in European/Asian/African/USA markets?

So it’s the 18th January Today and we have been told that not only will no new faces be here by the weekend but probably not for at least another 10 days. That will leave us just 3 days of the window to presumably pursue our targets, but don’t worry none of them have gone anywhere yet. Really, so just like recent performances on the pitch, we don’t appear to have a plan B if they do go elsewhere, or won’t have hardly any time to deliver it.

Let’s hope it’s all a smoke screen and the necessary signings are in place sooner rather than later. Otherwise by the end of the next three away games we might not even be in a playoff spot.?

Clark Harris wouldn’t be the right player for us in my opinion. He’s looking for his last move and is lazy
(18-01-2024, 02:05 PM)Dibdenblue Wrote: [ -> ]This hasn’t just happened though has it. We have been without a decent strike force with pace for a few seasons now. We have done remarkably well to be where we are in the table all things considered.

The time to worry is when our targets sign for someone else. That hasn't happened yet according to JM today.

Until the market starts moving they are not available and we just have to be patient.  

I sometimes think the January window should just be one week, nothing much ever happens in the first three weeks.
I've got a distinct feeling this is all going to be Last Minute.com as in previous years.

Probably a couple of loans from Championship clubs & maybe one inexpensive purchase.

It's looking like Blackett-Taylor to Derby & Mason-Clark to Charlton.

Both are out of contract I'm pretty sure.
Charlton have just taken Freddie Lapado from Ipswich on loan
Looks like Nial innes to Bolton
Blackett-Taylor to Derby
Aaron Collins the latest name be it from a rumour Twitter page.

In the summer I would have called that nonsense but.

Just like with paddy lane young player of the season went off the boil then we signed him in January

Aaron Collins has done similar since winning young player of the season.

That might be the style of player we go after players that have done it and he smashed it last season
(19-01-2024, 03:28 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]I've got a distinct feeling this is all going to be Last Minute.com as in previous years.

Probably a couple of loans from Championship clubs & maybe one inexpensive purchase.

Mason-Clark is gong nowhere, under contract til 2025 and having a very successful season. No way would they sell him.
(20-01-2024, 08:25 AM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]Aaron Collins the latest name be it from a rumour Twitter page.

In the summer I would have called that nonsense but.

Just like with paddy lane young player of the season went off the boil then we signed him in January

Aaron Collins has done similar since winning young player of the season.

That might be the style of player we go after players that have done it and he smashed it last season

Aaron Coliins is 26 so if he ever won young player of the season it has been a long decline. 

Good player though, I'd be over the moon if we got him but not sure I see Rovers as a selling club at the moment.
(20-01-2024, 11:03 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-01-2024, 03:28 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]I've got a distinct feeling this is all going to be Last Minute.com as in previous years.

Mason-Clark is gong nowhere, under contract til 2025 and having a very successful season. No way would they sell hi
Well this says otherwise as Charlton offer accepted at £500K but the player has turned down Charlton's terms ( rather his agent No doubt ).
The Jonson Clarke-Harris saga - all you need to know about Charlton deal (londonworld.com)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11