TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The January Window
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(07-01-2024, 11:03 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]When has Raggett looked dodgy? One of our most consistent performers since he came in.

I don’t recall Guy saying anything but positive things about Raggett so I can’t possibly see how you personally could judge.

Yes, he has been but previous to that he dropped the odd clanger hence he was back up to Poole & Shaughnessy.

Think you need to get over your obssesion with Guy as Not good for your mental health!
(07-01-2024, 02:03 PM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]Raised the Edmundson rumour with Ipswich supporting relatives this weekend. Was laughed out of the room for it, told he started last week and plays regularly.

He hadn't played in November or December, which is why he was worth going for.  Being recalled may put a stop to it but he has only played 3 league games all season even after his recall. 

He is still a possibility, but like most deals it would probably be in the last few days of the window and do we want to risk leaving it that late to fill the most important position we have to fill.
(07-01-2024, 03:07 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2024, 11:03 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]When has Raggett looked dodgy? One of our most consistent performers since he came in.

I don’t recall Guy saying anything but positive things about Raggett so I can’t possibly see how you personally could judge.

Yes, he has been but previous to that he dropped the odd clanger hence he was back up to Poole & Shaughnessy.

Think you need to get over your obssesion with Guy as Not good for your mental health!

But he hasn’t looked dodgy this season, he’s been consistently good, so I don’t see your point.

As for any obsession with Guy, I leave that to you. He’s all you’ve got because you don’t watch games.
I appreciate it may be a bit 'out there', but what about a loan deal for Jack Whatmough? He's at Preston now but has only made 5 appearances this season. I believe he has been pretty clear of injuries since he left us and am 100% sure he would fancy a return to Pompey as he is from Gosport and is a Pompey fan. If it was a loan, what have we got to lose?
I’ve heard worse ideas.

Got any suggestions for a 10?
My preferred number 10 solution would be to move Bishop to number 10 and sign John Clark Harris to play C/Fwd. Trouble is that would mean shelling out upwards of £500k and I am not convinced the Eisners will want to do that. If a cheaper option, it could be Luke Young and then let him and Yengi to fight it out for the rest of the season.
We spent 500k on Bishop, a million on Marquis and a half on Harrison, so we have spent money on transfer fees.
I did not realise, but Whyte cost a seven figure fee when Cardiff signed him. So if we could get him going, he would seem a very good bit of business, so far a gamble that has not worked out.
(07-01-2024, 06:29 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I’ve heard worse ideas.

Got any suggestions for a 10?

Move Pack to no 10.
(07-01-2024, 07:51 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]We spent 500k on Bishop, a million on Marquis and a half on Harrison, so we have spent money on transfer fees.
I did not realise, but Whyte cost a seven figure fee when Cardiff signed him. So if we could get him going, he would seem a very good bit of business, so far a gamble that has not worked out.

Hammie, not suggesting the Eisners have not spent decent sums before, as you rightly point out, but as per your examples of Marquis and Harrison,. not sure they will want to risk the same larger sums just yet. Bishop worked out but one out of three is not a great confidence builder. Hopefully our new recruitment structure will alter those odds but so far they have not demonstrated it with more expensive acquisitions. I sincerely hope I am wrong.
(07-01-2024, 04:31 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2024, 03:07 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]

But he hasn’t looked dodgy this season, he’s been consistently good, so I don’t see your point.

As for any obsession with Guy, I leave that to you. He’s all you’ve got because you don’t watch games.

2 more live guys than you watching iFollow amateur coverage. I thinkyou need to find another hobby maybe tiddlywinks or similar!
Time for the club to decide what transfers they are going to make.

We would assume RH in discussion with JM knows who he wants.

Tornante have supposedly said they'll find the cash once players have been identified.

There must be a budget for this activity but No idea how much.

The January window generally has previously been pretty disastrous for the club.

There's No War Chest from Cup Games like KJ had & wasted.

It's generally agreed we need at least 4 players but let's Not leave it too late as before.

Be good to get some players off the books to balance the books though.
Do we need at least four players?
Space for a coupe of loans and replacements for the likes of Hume if we can offload him.
Already we are leaving first teamers out of the match day squad when we're anywhere close to a full squad.
Without a reserve side we don't need a load of players sitting unused at all.
From recent displays it looks like we do.

CB, No.10, GK, Winger/Striker.

Taking into account possible new injuries & competition for places.
Attacking mid, striker, centre back at least.
Amateur coverage? How would you know?

Tiddlywinks? How quaint and old fashioned.
If Ogilvie is fit, we don’t need a CB.

Does that make it generally disagreed that we need four players?
Callum Lang the new Twitter rumour Wigan winger.
(09-01-2024, 07:44 AM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]Callum Lang the new Twitter rumour Wigan winger.

He would be quite expensive I would think, under contract till 2025 and playing regularly in the first team.

And they aren't desperate for cash any more under their new owner.
Don't want to be accused of only thinking of ex-players but what about Jamal Lowe? He is 29 so does not fit with the 'resale value' profile but on loan to QPR, then Swansea so clearly not wanted by Bournemouth. Not sure about wages but contract must be running out and he must realise they will drop on next  move. Think he would be welcomed 'home' by most. He has enough brains and ability to maybe take on a 10 role and a friend who supports QPR said he still has decent pace.
With regards to our resale policy,apart from Lane and Bishop we wouldn't get much of a fee for anyone
(08-01-2024, 07:08 PM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]Just did a double take, thought this was a TitchfieldBlue post

Not quite, it doesn't end in "we're going to lose Leyton Orient and get relegated".
(09-01-2024, 10:20 AM)South Coast steve Wrote: [ -> ]With regards to our resale policy,apart from Lane and Bishop we wouldn't get much of a fee for anyone

Norris, Poole , Shaughnessy, Raggett,  Morrell, Devlin and Saydee would all be worth a decent fee if sold at the right end of their contract. Certainly more than we paid for them.  I think Hume is probably the only one we have lost money on, and I think we paid a fee for Scully, which could go either way.
Would this thread be the same as the other transfer threads. Why start a new one?

https://forum.truebluearmy.com/showthread.php?tid=3623
Richard Hughes quashes any interest in either Callum Lang or Ronan Hale

Pompey chief clarifies reported transfer interest in attacking pair (portsmouth.co.uk)

Smokescreen and/or kidology perhaps?
(09-01-2024, 12:32 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Would this thread be the same as the other transfer threads. Why start a new one?

https://forum.truebluearmy.com/showthread.php?tid=3623

It was a slow news day & everyone was feeling down after the Cheltenham result.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11