TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The January Window
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Our squad is so good, you could make the argument to not buy any players and just spend the money on beefing up the medical team to prevent and improve injury
I feel the same, apart from the fact that I agree with Tags assessment that we need a centre half.

Santos!!!!
Hume will presumably go if he can find a club, and I can't see Martin's trial being extended beyond January if Scully is fit, so that frees up two squad places.   A centre half on loan is the only obvious one.  Not sure I would expect anything else to be honest now. I would have said another striker, but Yengi has proven that is not needed now. 

Otherwise we have two good players for each position.
(12-12-2023, 04:33 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I feel the same, apart from the fact that I agree with Tags assessment that we need a centre half.

Santos!!!!
An extra CH would give us added insurance for sure, but we're not going to get anyone useful who is only going to sit on the bench. As for Santos, yes he was good last night but eventually found out by Yengi's pace. I think Ogilvie could provide decent cover assuming he gets and stays fit, and of course we still have Ryley T.  Our only long-term injury is Poole, so IMHO (and it is very H!), I agree with the overall opinions, we probably have enough strength in depth. ps would love to have seen Saydee muscle Santos last night!
(12-12-2023, 04:33 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I feel the same, apart from the fact that I agree with Tags assessment that we need a centre half.

Santos!!!!
I must have been looking at Santos on a different way last night as I thought he looked cumbersome and slow!
It’s all about opinions but I thought Santos was an absolute mountain and Bolton fans reckon that Yengi is the first player they’ve seen to make him look vulnerable.

Like Rocket, I was itching to see Saydee match up to Santos. A lower centre of gravity and all that power, I think Santos would have been glad to get off the pitch.
Santos certainly knew all the arts but the ref was very lenient with him and Yengi could have scored three.
For me, a moment that showed what Santos was all about. He went down in a challenge on his own byline. He stuck his chest over the ball and manoeuvred the ball behind him and then nodded the ball out for a corner. Even on the deck, there was no way Pack or anyone else was going to have an opportunity to cross that ball across the Bolton goal.

Santos showed himself to be a very good centre half and its a testament to Yengi that he was given so many problems. I really have no worries about Bishops injury, as long as Yengi is fit.
(12-12-2023, 06:25 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]For me, a moment that showed what Santos was all about. He went down in a challenge on his own byline. He stuck his chest over the ball and manoeuvred the ball behind him and then nodded the ball out for a corner. Even on the deck, there was no way Pack or anyone else was going to have an opportunity to cross that ball across the Bolton goal.

Santos showed himself to be a very good centre half and its a testament to Yengi that he was given so many problems. I really have no worries about Bishops injury, as long as Yengi is fit.
I was convinced in real time that Santos had handled the ball, but the reply showed clearly he had guarded the ball to perfection. Good CB without doubt, but very well played Yengi against him, he (Yengi) got better and better as the game went on, and remember he's younger and learning all the time.

Very impressed with The Moose in his interview too. Doesn't go over the top, sensible comments, and unlike DC he doesn't remonstrate every 10 secs at the ref. I like DC, but it appears JM is a class above in terms of coaching and motivation.
as regards spending money in January, perhaps some studs that help us stand up when our pitch has been liberally sprayed with water even when it has been raining cats and dogs for weeks
(12-12-2023, 11:18 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]as regards spending money in January, perhaps some studs that help us stand up when our pitch has been liberally sprayed with water even when it has been raining cats and dogs for weeks
Absolutely right. It's more dangerous with long studs, but not much use if they aren't long enough to give proper grip.
(11-12-2023, 12:09 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]There’s a lad at aldershot who’s meant to be very good at a attacking midfielder Josh Stokes these are the sort of players Peterborough have been making profit on for years

Looks a hand full on the box against Stockport tonight.
How's Haji doing?
I would say that if we make any additions to the squad, it should be the likes of Riley Towler. Young talent with raw ability that needs honing; players for the future but capable of stepping up occasionally, now.
(13-12-2023, 08:37 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]How's Haji doing?

Athletic but final pass generally lacking.  I know we were interested in Kyle Wootton (Stockport) a couple of seasons ago but on tonight's performance might struggle in League1.
(13-12-2023, 09:31 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I would say that if we make any additions to the squad, it should be the likes of Riley Towler. Young talent with raw ability that needs honing; players for the future but capable of stepping up occasionally, now.

I think that reflects the comments that came out of the club a couple of weeks ago.
There will be howls of fury online if we don't "splash the cash"
But unless we get a superstar, I can't see who they would drop at the mo.
Interesting reading of Oxford missing key players (and their manager) and falling away, that seems like us over several years.
This season, we all thought the squad was decent and I imagine we all feel that has been confirmed. Really can't think of any player who has stepped up and looked significantly weaker overall.
Tonight suggests we have a reserve or two who we should let go.
Schofield for starters, perhaps Wimbledon would swap him for Bass.
Martin offers even less than Whyte in his worst game, mind you I forgot W was on the pitch at all!
Devlin looks a dodgy option for deep mid although ok elsewhere.
and we need another cente half
Hopefully Scully comes on at half time and we wish Martin a happy Christmas and goodbye.
I thought Martin actually looked better on the right, Hammie.

I’d still get rid though.
(19-12-2023, 10:02 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I thought Martin actually looked better on the right, Hammie.

I’d still get rid though.

I'd agree with that, like Kamara, so maybe we have only see him out of position.
Either way we need a left winger if Scully takes a while to gt properly match fit.
It was always goingnto be tough for Martin to make an impression. He hasn't had a great deal of football this season and is not going to get too many either. It was one of those 'just in case'signings that doesn't really matter that it hasn't worked out.
(19-12-2023, 10:16 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]It was always goingnto be tough for Martin to make an impression. He hasn't had a great deal of football this season and is not going to get too many either. It was one of those 'just in case'signings that doesn't really matter that it hasn't worked out.

Trouble is that he looks like so very many academy products.
Kamara has a bit more and is a very good athlete too. As a direct comparison.
(19-12-2023, 08:38 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Tonight suggests we have a reserve or two who we should let go.
Schofield for starters, perhaps Wimbledon would swap him for Bass.
Martin offers even less than Whyte in his worst game, mind you I forgot W was on the pitch at all!
Devlin looks a dodgy option for deep mid although ok elsewhere.
and we need another cente half
Hopefully Scully comes on at half time and we wish Martin a happy Christmas and goodbye.

You can’t really judge Devlin on tonight’s game
IMO Devlin was playing out of position, having watched him play in the Irish league he’s more of a number 10 or 8 someone who plays in the final third.
Devlin was just having one of those games last night. It happens but we all know what he can do.

He didn’t take his chance though.
Put it behind us, and look forward to Saturday!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11