TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The January Window
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I would say the chances of any permanent signings being available to us good enough to play in the championship are virtualy nil in a January window.   One thing we have learnt in the past few years is that the players available in January are mostly unwanted by their clubs for a reason.  Why would we want to sign other teams equivalent to Hume ? 

I would not want to sign anyone permanently next month other than maybe a centre back.  Whether we go up or not it is another major rebuild in the summer with 16 out of contract, every permanent signing in January is one less squad place available for that rebuild.
(22-12-2023, 02:42 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]
(22-12-2023, 05:51 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-12-2023, 03:30 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]I've been away travelling so have missed radio commentaries but have read the online reports.

It looks like we need 3-4 players to help us push on for auto promotion.

First is an experienced CH likely to be on loan, another striker with Yengi away in Jan, midfielder/left winger, goalkeeper.

Hopefully, our Billionaire owner will mgive RH a decent budget to make these new recruits.

Let's Not mess it up as in previous seasons.

We are top of the league. 

How would you propose to entice new recruits, that are good enough, to come to Pompey and sit on the bench?
Not a problem if they are ambitious IMO. How many of our players don't get injured or suspended at least once a season? Also if they are permanent signings they would hope to be playing in the Championship next season.
I appreciate what you are saying but we’ve already got very capable replacements who are ambitious.
(21-12-2023, 03:30 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]I've been away travelling so have missed radio commentaries but have read the online reports.

First is an experienced CH likely to be on loan, another striker with Yengi away in Jan, midfielder/left winger, goalkeeper.

Hopefully, our Billionaire owner will mgive RH a decent budget to make these new recruits.

How would you propose to entice new recruits, that are good enough, to come to Pompey and sit on the bench?

It's a Squad game these days & from the Wombles game our back up players simply aren't good enough.
There were 10 back up players against Wombles, Mikey. We normally only need two or three at a time, so we're be alright as Carlin used to say.
I can see maybe a couple loans in January, that's about it. I am not in the same boat as many others are, in that we need a massive amount of new guys in this upcoming window to see us over the line. Another backup GK mind is a priority if, knock on wood, something happens to Norris.

Hope to come over from the USA for a game at some point haha and see 3 points, just as a side note Smile
(22-12-2023, 08:06 PM)Popeye Wrote: [ -> ]I can see maybe a couple loans in January, that's about it. I am not in the same boat as many others are, in that we need  a massive amount of new guys in this upcoming window to see us over the line. Another backup GK mind is a priority if, knock on wood, something happens to Norris.

Hope to come over from the USA for a game at some point haha and see 3 points, just as a side note Smile

book your tickets well in advance, although the Milton end is helping a great deal.
(22-12-2023, 08:06 PM)Popeye Wrote: [ -> ]I can see maybe a couple loans in January, that's about it. I am not in the same boat as many others are, in that we need  a massive amount of new guys in this upcoming window to see us over the line. Another backup GK mind is a priority if, knock on wood, something happens to Norris.

Where in the US are you?
(22-12-2023, 07:38 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]

It's a Squad game these days & from the Wombles game our back up players simply aren't good enough.

Which of our backup players are not good enough? Do you think we should get rid of them in the January window?

Deebo

(22-12-2023, 10:38 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]

Where in the US are you?

Mar-a-Lago
(23-12-2023, 05:01 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

Which of our backup players are not good enough? Do you think we should get rid of them in the January window?

The jump in quality from LG one to championship is huge. As I've said before this is the weakest this league has been since we were promoted hence our current position. IMO only Poole Snessy Pack Morrell and Lane would be considered good enough to be regular first teasers next season
Teamers
(23-12-2023, 09:05 AM)South Coast steve Wrote: [ -> ]

The jump in quality from LG one to championship is huge. As I've said before this is the weakest this league has been since we were promoted hence our current position. IMO only Poole Snessy Pack Morrell and Lane would be considered good enough to be regular first teasers next season

Bishop? Sparkes maybe. And, yes, Ragget who has been immense since he came in - zero goals conceded in the last four speaks for itself. People are always underestimating Raggers.
I would say the outstanding feature of this season, and the reason we are top of the league, is that the squad players ARE good enough to cover for injuries. In fact, plenty good enough ... many of them are very unlucky not to be regular first teamers.  One poor team perfromance in a meaningless cup competition with players playing out of position does not suddenly make those individual players not good enough. 

We know they are not poor players because we have seen them play.
(23-12-2023, 10:34 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I would say the outstanding feature of this season, and the reason we are top of the league, is that the squad players ARE good enough to cover for injuries. In fact, plenty good enough ... many of them are very unlucky not to be regular first teamers.  One poor team perfromance in a meaningless cup competition with players playing out of position does not suddenly make those individual players not good enough. 

We won't achieve promotion with this squad without 3 or 4 additions in January.
Titchfield, ever the optimist
(23-12-2023, 10:36 AM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-12-2023, 10:34 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I would say the outstanding feature of this season, and the reason we are top of the league, is that the squad players ARE good enough to cover for injuries. In fact, plenty good enough ... many of them are very unlucky not to be regular first teamers.  One poor team perfromance in a meaningless cup competition with players playing out of position does not suddenly make those individual players not good enough. 

Why on earth not ?  Why should a squad that is good enough to go six points clear despite an injury list that would have crippled most clubs suddenly lose form just as most of those injuries are clearing up.  Nothing is certain but our best bet is clearly to carry on doing what we are doing, provide cover for injuries where needed, and not to disrupt a happy dressing room.   

A centre back, and a replacement for anyone who leaves is all we need.
(23-12-2023, 10:47 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Titchfield, ever the optimist

I'm actually always positive. But a realist too. I've always maintained our promotion chances depend on a good January window.

Derby are being backed heavily in January.

If we can get a quality striker, a new backup keeper and two quality centre backs, one to partner Conor and one for backup then we will probably go up automatically.

We will get injuries and suspensions suspensions and we need cover.

Up front, Yengi and Saydee aren't good enough yet. They're still young.

We saw the other night some of the backup players aren't good enough.

So we need

2 Centre backs
1 keeper
1 striker

Get that we will go up.
(23-12-2023, 10:59 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Why on earth not ?  Why should a squad that is good enough to go six points clear despite an injury list that would have crippled most clubs suddenly lose form just as most of those injuries are clearing up.  Nothing is certain but our best bet is clearly to carry on doing what we are doing, provide cover for injuries where needed, and not to disrupt a happy dressing room.   

A centre back, and a replacement for anyone who leaves is all we need.

Couldn't disagree more.

We need a decent backup keeper.
Two decent centre backs. One for backup and one to start. Conor obviously a starter at cb.
Another striker, as yengi and saydee aren't good enough at this stage, they're both young.
Would we qualify for an emergency loan keeper if Norris picked up an injury? Peterborough did this a couple of seasons back very succesfully.
Don’t see that Raggers has played any worse than Conor since he came in. 4 clean sheets and Conor is open to the occasional mistake, as every player is. Both score goals and both command their areas pretty well. Both stride forward occasionally and both can make telling passes. Why this Raggett’s not good enough negativity?
(23-12-2023, 11:01 AM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-12-2023, 10:47 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Titchfield, ever the optimist

I'm actually always positive. But a realist too. I've always maintained our promotion chances depend on a good January window.

Derby are being backed heavily in January.

If we can get a quality striker, a new backup keeper and two quality centre backs, one to partner Conor and one for backup then we will probably go up automatically.

We will get injuries and suspensions suspensions and we need cover.

Up front, Yengi and Saydee aren't good enough yet. They're still young.

We saw the other night some of the backup players aren't good enough.

So we need

2 Centre backs
1 keeper
1 striker

Get that we will go up.

We'll just  have to agree to differ then.   But if you think Raggett is not good enough then I don't think you know what you are talking about ... 4 clean sheets in a row are evidence that he is. 

But I still say the chances of getting any players better than we have already in a January window are slim. The traditional requirement for improving the squad in January is just not needed this year because Hughes & Mousinho did it all in the summer, when the decent players are available.   We did our January shopping in the summer.

WALOB
WAFLOB!

From Tuesday night at least Schofield,Towler & Devlin for starters. We need more strength in depth which hopefully will be sorted in January.
Your opinion is based on what you saw?

Did you think Devlin and Towler performance was consistent with their previous performances?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11