TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The January Window
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
We probably have similar thoughts as to where we need strengthening but I think we need to focus on our strikers in particular. 

We haven’t tucked the ball away half as much as we should have, for a top of the table side. We haven’t got promoted yet but it’s almost time to start thinking about life in the championship, even if it’s only ensuring we get over the line to get there.

We need more firepower! 

So who’s available and how much would it cost us in the inflated prices, winter window?
I would like to see us sign two centre backs as backup/competition for Raggett and Shaughnessy and to enable Towler to go out on loan. Another striker will definitely be required if Yengi is away in January.
I don’t think Towler needs to go on loan , he’s more than good enough for L1 and just unlucky Shaugnessy is playing the best football of his career. However, we do need another CB and a proper left winger/ wide left player that can cross a ball. If we are going to lose Yengi to the Asia Cup then another striker is needed.
and there must be a good chance of one or other centre half getting a red at some stage in the remainder of the season.
(06-12-2023, 05:06 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t think Towler needs to go on loan , he’s more than good enough for L1 and just unlucky Shaugnessy is playing the best football of his career. However, we do need another CB and a proper left winger/ wide left player that can cross a ball. If we are going to lose Yengi to the Asia Cup then another striker is needed.

I’m not sure as to why we would need another centre half. We’ve got five, at least.
I make only 4 and Poole is injured. Ogilvie can play there but again injured. Haj who is out on loan I personally wouldn’t have anywhere near the first team.
They will recover though, Tag. We don’t need 6 centre halves.
The worry fro me is how we replace Robertson when we inevitably lose him for the Asia Cup/Trophy in the new year.

Going to miss that drive and creativity in the middle of the park.
(07-12-2023, 05:29 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]They will recover though, Tag. We don’t need 6 centre halves.

It's unlikely that we will see Poole again this season, so some loan cover for Raggett is needed because we have no-one else to play on the right.  But that's all we need at the back.
(07-12-2023, 09:01 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-12-2023, 05:29 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]They will recover though, Tag. We don’t need 6 centre halves.

It's unlikely that we will see Poole again this season, so some loan cover for Raggett is needed because we have no-one else to play on the right.  But that's all we need at the back.

How long is Ogilvie out for, he's played there.

I know, shouldn't bandy about ideas like that. Big Grin
Even if he’s fit tomorrow he would only play CB in an emergency. We need Ogilvie back as a LB to put pressure on Sparkes
(07-12-2023, 09:22 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Even if he’s fit tomorrow he would only play CB in an emergency. We need Ogilvie back as a LB to put pressure on Sparkes

Agree Tag, tongue in cheek comment.
(07-12-2023, 09:01 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Well if that’s true then I get that. What exactly is the injury then? The club seem a reticent about putting out details sometimes, although I may have missed the detail.
Oh yeah, it’s all over the internet like a rash.

Ok, a centre half needed. Ironically, that might be to back up Raggett.
I'd like Alfie May in the team.
Did seem rather good, didn’t he?

Always a tricky time to buy strikers. Everyone is after a good one, whether it’s to stave of relegation or bolster an attack. The price is usually inflated. A loan is far more likely and it’s usually someone who can’t get a game with their current club because they aren’t good enough.
Has Australia's asia cup squad been announced yet? If Robertson sneaks on the plane then we might need a creative midfielder on a possibly short term loan. Unless Lowery can step up.
(10-12-2023, 02:56 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]Has Australia's asia cup squad been announced yet? If Robertson sneaks on the plane then we might need a creative midfielder on a possibly short term loan. Unless Lowery can step up.

If Lowery is fit he fills any Robertson hole - we are well stocked with midfielders who can step up so I can't see any need to sign another midfielder and be even more stocked with them when Robertson returns. 

Yengi is more of a problem, with Bishop's fitness not 100% guaranteed Yengi's absence will create a possible major problem.  Getting someone on loan would seem the sensible solution.
(10-12-2023, 03:43 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-12-2023, 02:56 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]Has Australia's asia cup squad been announced yet? If Robertson sneaks on the plane then we might need a creative midfielder on a possibly short term loan. Unless Lowery can step up.

If Lowery is fit he fills any Robertson hole - we are well stocked with midfielders who can step up so I can't see any need to sign another midfielder and be even more stocked with them when Robertson returns. 

Yengi is more of a problem, with Bishop's fitness not 100% guaranteed Yengi's absence will create a possible major problem.  Getting someone on loan would seem the sensible solution.
Lowery would need to return as the player he was at the start of last season, before getting injured to fill Robertsons boots
(10-12-2023, 03:43 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

It is a very very important position for us though, especially given we have some very winnable games in the period. We need to be unlocking defences and not dropping points against mid/lower table sides. We should probably be okish but I would be assessing Lowery very closely in the Wimbledon game.

As for Yengi, that is a bit of a problem. There's talk of getting skme Crystal Palace kid on loan, not sure how likely that is.
We do have loan slots free. So a young striker does seem likely. Equally for a centre half
(10-12-2023, 05:41 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]We do have loan slots free. So a young striker does seem likely. Equally for a centre half
Hammie, for a CB we probably need experience rather than a youngster. Problem is we're unlikely to get anyone decent unless they are assured they'll get a regular run in the team. We still have Towler as reserve who IMHO is perfectly decent, and a couple of others who can stand in (Ogilvie when fit, Swanson).
BWFC: We've got loads of CBs/guys who can play there - because they're affordable. Quality strikers are a completely different kettle of fish and they're damned expensive and overpriced in many cases.
January is tricky for promotion contenders as quality up front would be needed in the Championship and would help with the promotion push but when is the right time to gamble?
I guess it depends on the club's finances and having a squad/system flexible enough to share the goals out around the pitch - and if all goes well it might be worth a punt on a striker - but given our recent brush with oblivion I doubt we'll be investing until we know we have to. Can you guys afford a Championship standard striker?
There’s a lad at aldershot who’s meant to be very good at a attacking midfielder Josh Stokes these are the sort of players Peterborough have been making profit on for years
(11-12-2023, 11:18 AM)Wanderlust Wrote: [ -> ]BWFC: We've got loads of CBs/guys who can play there - because they're affordable. Quality strikers are a completely different kettle of fish and they're damned expensive and overpriced in many cases.
January is tricky for promotion contenders as quality up front would be needed in the Championship and would help with the promotion push but when is the right time to gamble?
I guess it depends on the club's finances and having a squad/system flexible enough to share the goals out around the pitch - and if all goes well it might be worth a punt on a striker - but given our recent brush with oblivion I doubt we'll be investing until we know we have to. Can you guys afford a Championship standard striker?

As far as brushes with oblivion go, we probably claim expert level. 

We’re in the curious position of having a billionaire owner who wants to run the club on a sustainable basis. Haven’t got a problem with that, personally. He has demonstrated that he’s prepared to push the boat out if the deal seems worth it. So we’ll see.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11